Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Classico 22/03/2015

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

K4t wrote: »
    Because they perpetuate it?

Manchester United. Only club for Bale.

Expect a long bidding war with City is he becomes available. Just the type of player they need

Kirby wrote: »
    Messi is given a free role, Ronaldo is told to stay on the wing.

I'm not Ronaldo fanboy and have criticized him severely in the past, but its no surprise that Messi saw more of the ball tonight. Ronaldo stuck to his job. If he was given a free role, he would be just as influential.

Surely influential means at ones best so why wouldn't Real exploit Ronaldo to be just as influential as Messi if that is the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Messi is given a free role, Ronaldo is told to stay on the wing.

I'm not Ronaldo fanboy and have criticized him severely in the past, but its no surprise that Messi saw more of the ball tonight. Ronaldo stuck to his job. If he was given a free role, he would be just as influential.
    Fair enough, though I still think their styles differ even when both play in the free role. Ronaldo is most dangerous in quick, direct football, similar to his Utd days. Messi is more adept at playing the playmaker role, holding up play, and dictating the pace of the game. I suppose I'm kind of admitting that Messi is the all round better footballer, from someone who usually remains neutral on the question of who is the better player.

Expect a long bidding war with City is he becomes available. Just the type of player they need
    If he has a choice between Utd and City, there's no question in my mind he'll choose Utd. He's a Utd player and has been since his Spurs days.

Lineker posting on twitter saying not only is Messi the best dribbler and goal scorer of all time but also the best passer of the ball ever. Something kind of overlooked I think about Messi's game. His accuracy is ridiculous. Could easily play a Kroos/Pirlo/Iniesta role if had to but he'd be wasted deep in midfield. I'm sure when he slows down in the future he'll become the best playmaker midfielder in the world too. Has it all.

If he has a choice between Utd and City, there's no question in my mind he'll choose Utd. He's a Utd player and has been since his Spurs days.

But the fee will come first and foremost. Something City will rarely back down on given the right player. The last comment is bizarre. No words.

Lineker posting on twitter saying not only is Messi the best dribbler and goal scorer of all time but also the best passer of the ball ever. Something kind of overlooked I think about Messi's game. His accuracy is ridiculous. Could easily play a Kroos/Pirlo/Iniesta role if had to but he'd be wasted deep in midfield. I'm sure when he slows down in the future he'll become the best playmaker midfielder in the world too. Has it all.
    Interesting, and hugely ominous prospect for Real etc. He showed tonight how he can dictate the tempo of a game of this magnitude several times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Would Chelsea bid for him do you think?

Perfect for Mourinho's Catenaccio counter attacks with his pace.

Downside would be the defensive side of his game I guess.

But the fee will come first and foremost. Something City will rarely back down on given the right player. The last comment is bizarre. No words.
    Yes, and I think Utd will match it. We've seen Utd mean business now with transfers, if they want Bale, they'll get him. It's not bizarre at all, Utd have a history of signing the best English talent and Bale would fit right into the traditional Utd style of wing play, as well as LVG's 433. Bale - Rooney - Di Maria.

Interesting, and hugely ominous prospect for Real etc. He showed tonight how he can dictate the tempo of a game of this magnitude several times too.

I think he's as good as any "passer" of this era. Always plays the right short pass and never wastes possession and his looping long passes are stunning at times. Could easily become a variation of prime Iniesta given his build and dribbling skill. Things like that will never leave him when his pace eventually does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes, and I think Utd will match it. We've seen Utd mean business now with transfers, if they want Bale, they'll get him. It's not bizarre at all, Utd have a history of signing the best English talent and Bale would fit right into the traditional Utd style of wing play, as well as LVG's 433. Bale - Rooney - Di Maria.

I know the English media like to claim him because he's good and sometimes fans forget, but he's actually Welsh.

No its not bizarre that they'll bid for him not at all. It's claiming he's a united player and has been since his Spurs days is a bit bizarre don't you think? I'm not certain but I think he's a bit of a united fan which obviously helps but it's no certainty.

I think he's as good as any "passer" of this era. Always plays the right short pass and never wastes possession and his looping long passes are stunning at times. Could easily become a variation of prime Iniesta given his build and dribbling skill. Things like that will never leave him when his pace eventually does
    All true, though the question is will he be able to be as effective in that role as players who have played and trained in that position their whole lives. He has the raw attributes but does he have the experience. Still quite a selfish player at times too, but in an attacking role that's to be expected I suppose. He will of course lose his pace but then Scholes, Xavi never had any and he still might retain that burst which is so devastating, so yes I agree with you.

Would Chelsea bid for him do you think?

Perfect for Mourinho's Catenaccio counter attacks with his pace.

Downside would be the defensive side of his game I guess.

Could only see him go to Chelsea if Hazard was to be sold, maybe actually going the opposite way to Madrid. I doubt Hazard will be sold though. He'd be a good fit for them and I am sure if anyone was to get his defensive side back it'd be Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Chelsea would be absolutely insane to sell him. Look what he did today. He's their best player by some margin.

They know this at the club. Hazard signed a new contract a few weeks ago.

I know the English media like to claim him because he's good and sometimes fans forget, but he's actually Welsh.
    Yes, I know, I should have said British. Utd have a decent recent history of Welsh wingers.
    No its not bizarre that they'll bid for him not at all. It's claiming he's a united player and has been since his Spurs days is a bit bizarre don't you think? I'm not certain but I think he's a bit of a united fan which obviously helps but it's no certainty.
    I don't think a player who signs for Real Madrid then goes for a club like City. He'll go to Chelsea or even Arsenal before City imo. Utd is the obvious choice. He could be the successor to Giggs, and who better to mentor him and guide him along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Though he isn't as deep as those players I think he already is the best playmaker in the world, I can say hand on heart that I've never witnessed a player who so consistently picks out the perfect pass, who so often plays that pass just right and who never ceases to amaze me that he can see a pass at pitch level that I cant see on the wide angle on tv. The playmaking aspect of his game is unrivalled but it goes unnoticed sometimes because of his phenomenal scoring and dribbling. He's the most complete player there has ever been.

Chelsea would be absolutely insane to sell him. Look what he did today. He's their best player by some margin.

They know this at the club. Hazard signed a new contract a few weeks ago.

Ah new contract? Didn't know that. Ah yeah won't be sold then. I agree it'd be crazy to let him go but he'd come close to breaking the transfer record if they were to let him go. That could potentially be too good to turn down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

New contracts just equal much better chance of bigger fees. Signing a new one means very little if a huge team shows interest and a player decides he wants to go there. Player wanting to leave + fans reaction to said player nearly always ends with only one outcome. Cases like Rooney being the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Corholio wrote: »
    New contracts just equal much better chance of bigger fees. Signing a new one means very little if a huge team shows interest and a player decides he wants to go there. Player wanting to leave + fans reaction to said player nearly always ends with only one outcome. Cases like Rooney being the exception.

hhhmmm don't think so, have Chelsea ever lost a player they didn't want to in the last 10 years?
    They can simply say no to any bid. I think Hazard is more of a Barcelona player anyway but don't see him going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JPA wrote: »
    hhhmmm don't think so, have Chelsea ever lost a player they didn't want to in the last 10 years?
    They can simply say no to any bid. I think Hazard is more of a Barcelona player anyway but don't see him going anywhere.

Wasn't specifically talking about Hazard. Just that the rebuke of saying a player signing a contract in relation to the prospect of him leaving means nowhere near as much as it did as years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

JPA wrote: »

Ricardo Carvalho and Arjen Robben perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Digging through the archives there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Though he isn't as deep as those players I think he already is the best playmaker in the world, I can say hand on heart that I've never witnessed a player who so consistently picks out the perfect pass, who so often plays that pass just right and who never ceases to amaze me that he can see a pass at pitch level that I cant see on the wide angle on tv. The playmaking aspect of his game is unrivalled but it goes unnoticed sometimes because of his phenomenal scoring and dribbling. He's the most complete player there has ever been.
    You must be suffering from Alzheimers. You have forgotten Xavi already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

eagle eye wrote: »
    You must be suffering from Alzheimers. You have forgotten Xavi already?

Even Xavi, whose passing is so incredible, doesn't equal Messi's killer passes. Obviously they are different kinds of players and no player controls the tempo of a game like Xavi but in terms of playing the killer ball I'd have Messi over everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Didn't Jose dump Robben as he was a bit too flakey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oat23 wrote: »

Ya its pretty **** to see, thought Carvajhal poking him was funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Missed this, was Bale that bad? Surprise to see fans having a kick at his car.

https://vine.co/v/OY0gETiTw3e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bale was very bad but that is disgusting behaviour. Horrible club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

CSF wrote: »
    Bale was very bad but that is disgusting behaviour. Horrible club.

How can you call the club horrible because 2 idiots outside a stadium had a kick at a guys car?
    Saying I hope your kids get cancer, like what Becks suffered, was disgusting, this isn't even on the same level. Not even close.

And they didn't connect, the guys boot missed the car by about 2 ft.

Bale is suffering a real dip in confidence, and I would not be surprised to see him at another club next season.

NIMAN wrote: »
    How can you call the club horrible because 2 idiots outside a stadium had a kick at a guys car?
    Saying I hope your kids get cancer, like what Becks suffered, was disgusting, this isn't even on the same level. Not even close.

And they didn't connect, the guys boot missed the car by about 2 ft.

Bale is suffering a real dip in confidence, and I would not be surprised to see him at another club next season.

As if this is the only reason to call Real a horrible club. Real and Barca are 2 of the worst clubs there are out there. Thankfully they play very entertaining football.

Actually completely forgot Bale was playing while watching last night. A very anonymous performance.

gimmick wrote: »
    Actually completely forgot Bale was playing while watching last night. A very anonymous performance.

Lost the ball almost immediately nearly every time he got on it.

Felt bad for him that his goal wasn't included, even though it was a great decision. He needed that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

NIMAN wrote: »

His treatment by a small group of hard core fans this season has been appalling.

After a very successful first season where Bale settled into the team very well the knives came out very early this season.
    Despite the club winning 22 games in a row ,Bale was ludicrously singled out for criticism during this spell because he was too"greedy" and wouldn't pass the ball to Ronaldo .

It was almost a witch hunt against Bale and it has shattered his confidence on the pitch .
    He has no confidence now ,he is afraid to take players on anymore for fear of being labelled greedy ,so he just passes the ball for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

His treatment by a small group of hard core fans this season has been appalling.

After a very successful first season where Bale settled into the team very well the knives came out very early this season.
    Despite the club winning 22 games in a row ,Bale was ludicrously singled out for criticism during this spell because he was too"greedy" and wouldn't pass the ball to Ronaldo .

It was almost a witch hunt against Bale and it has shattered his confidence on the pitch .
    He has no confidence now ,he is afraid to take players on anymore for fear of being labelled greedy ,so he just passes the ball for the sake of it.

Witch hunt by Marca because they have fallen out with Florentino Perez. Attacking Bale is indirectly attacking Perez because he is a Florentino signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Isn't every signing a Perez signing?

Yes, but Bale was a massive marquee signing. Big difference between signing the likes of Illaramendi or Varane and signing Bale.

Advertisement