Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sow grass or wait?

Options
  • 22-03-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi would like a bit of advice please, our 'grass' is 80%weeds. We need to build a wall with our neighbour at the back of the garden but it will likely be at least 6 months before we both have the money for this as we have been quoted about 1k to do this. My question is if it is worth going ahead and using a rotivator and sow grass seeds before we build the wall or should we wait until wall is built and sort out grass next year? Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

tink2 wrote: »
    Hi would like a bit of advice please, our 'grass' is 80%weeds. We need to build a wall with our neighbour at the back of the garden but it will likely be at least 6 months before we both have the money for this as we have been quoted about 1k to do this. My question is if it is worth going ahead and using a rotivator and sow grass seeds before we build the wall or should we wait until wall is built and sort out grass next year? Thx
    I'd wait to get the wall done first. There'll be a lot of traffic on it for the wall.
    If it's 6 months from now, you'll be in September so you could get the lawn set once the wall is done perhaps? How big of an area?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Thanks for reply it's about 25 metres. Do you mean lay down sod as opposed to planting seeds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

tink2 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply it's about 25 metres. Do you mean lay down sod as opposed to planting seeds ?

The wall is 25m? Or the lawn is 25m sq?

Personally I'd go for seed, a good brand no.2 seed. But from a practical point of view, if you're going to have a wall built in the near future, moving in the blocks, cement, sand etc and the foot traffic on it wouldn't be ideal for the lawn. You'd end up repairing parts of it after.
    Get the construction done first and redo the lawn afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Sorry grass is 12.3m x 7.5, so we'd have to build wall around sept and then sow grass in feb/ march?
    Ogie84 wrote: »
    The wall is 25m? Or the lawn is 25m sq?

Personally I'd go for seed, a good brand no.2 seed. But from a practical point of view, if you're going to have a wall built in the near future, moving in the blocks, cement, sand etc and the foot traffic on it wouldn't be ideal for the lawn. You'd end up repairing parts of it after.
    Get the construction done first and redo the lawn afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

As has been said get the wall built first and then do the lawn. September is the ideal time to sow grass. Around the middle of August spray off your old lawn with a glycophospate such as Roundup and after 2 weeks repeat on any greenery that is there. After that you should preferably dig the ground turning the old sod upside down and let dry, then rotovate to get as fine as possible and rake to get a level and even surface and then spread your seed and roll.

• Advertisement
Advertisement