Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headphone recommendations

• 22-03-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I was a little reluctant to post one of these because I'm sure there has been loads and you're all sick of them, but as the title says, I'm looking for a decent set of headphones.

Up until now I've been using different cheap on-ear headphones (Skullcandy Uprocks that I picked up for €5 in a sale and similar), but they're not the most comfortable things in the world on the commute to work in the morning. Pair that with the fact that you're either playing music so loud that you're pissing everyone off or so low that you're partially eavesdropping on the conversations of everyone else who are shoehorned on to the bus and luas, it can be quite a pain.

Basically I'm looking for a decent pair of Over-ear headphones that are comfortable to wear and don't bleed sound. Preferably something under €150, but I'd consider going a little higher if it was worth it.

I tried out the Skullcandy Crushers in HMV yesterday. I did like them, and the bass boost, with what I can only assume were rumble motors, felt oddly good, but being Skullcandy I'm sure they wouldn't last too long and I'd be reluctant to spend €100 on them.

I've seen Audio Technica headphones being recommended on a couple of websites. Is there a big difference between the M40X and the M50X and are they worth the £100ish they're selling for on Amazon? Is there anything else in that price range that is worth considering?

Sorry for the essay, just lost in a sea of headphones at the minute :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can find the M40x & M50x in Music Maker on Exchequer Street; I asked nicely and they let me try the M40x no problem (wasn't to my taste but comfy!)

Also take a gander at some of the closed-cup lists & buying guides:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Thanks for the reply!

I'll drop in to them on the way home from work one of the days and see what they say. Are there any other ones that you personally would recommend in a similar price range?

Monster DNA on-ear aren't bad (they're cheap in PC World sometimes) but there are better cans out there.

I see the Sony MDR-V6 & MDR-7506 highly recommended everywhere as well, not sure where you'd find them.
    Some Koss & AKG models are good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Am in the market for headphones for my iPhone.

A while back, I came across a link here on boards.ie to a German online retailer, who seemed very competitive. But, I can't find them again.

Help!

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

There's a nice little bundle for sale here
    http://www.mp4nation.net/bundle-fiio-e17k-alpen-dac-headphone-amplifier-brainwavz-hm5-monitor-headphones-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

I've heard great things about the headphones and I think I found the link for that site on this forum somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Dinarius wrote: »
    Am in the market for headphones for my iPhone.

A while back, I came across a link here on boards.ie to a German online retailer, who seemed very competitive. But, I can't find them again.

Help!

Thanks.

D.

Was it thomann.de?

marko93 wrote: »
    Was it thomann.de?

It was.

Thanks! :)

Now just to work out which cans!

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Sennheiser Momentum.

Best headphones I've ever had..

Just tried a search on Thomann for those. No joy.

Could you provide a link to them?

Thanks. ;)

D.

Ps. I would ideally like headphones for use outdoors with my iPhone. But, I will use them with high quality hifi also. So, noise cancelling would be nice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Consider Bluetooth, you'll never look back

• Advertisement

Just tried a search on Thomann for those. No joy.

Could you provide a link to them?

Thanks. ;)

D.

Ps. I would ideally like headphones for use outdoors with my iPhone. But, I will use them with high quality hifi also. So, noise cancelling would be nice.
    For noise cancelling, your best bet is to save up and get a Bose set - literally the best in the business.

Consider Bluetooth, you'll never look back

I've heard that before.

But, how can the quality be better than cable.

And then there's the issue of batteries, right? Batteries are always a pain, and best avoided.

But, if I did go that route, which make/model?

This is a treat to myself, so money is not my concern.

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Personally, I would not recommend noise cancelling headphones. The extra money spent on the NC technology could go towards a better sounding headphone. That is just my opinion. A decent fitting on ear or over ear set will block out a certain amount of noise and reduced bleed. The drawback to this is microphonics which can be an issue with some cables.

For the money you are talking about, it would be hard to beat Sennheiser HD 25 in its various guises. I have the HD 25-1 II version. They are simply neutral. No overblown bass or excessive brightness, you hear it as it was recorded.

I also have a pair of NAD Visio HP50s which again are very neutral but are slightly warmer sounding. I preferred these to the equivalent priced B & W P5 which I found had too much bass (not a huge amount). These provide quite a good seal which isolates outside noise quite effectively. Downside: microphonics.

I would stay away from Beats as the bass is excessive but that is my choice, some people love them.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Personally, I would not recommend noise cancelling headphones. The extra money spent on the NC technology could go towards a better sounding headphone. That is just my opinion. A decent fitting on ear or over ear set will block out a certain amount of noise and reduced bleed. The drawback to this is microphonics which can be an issue with some cables.

For the money you are talking about, it would be hard to beat Sennheiser HD 25 in its various guises. I have the HD 25-1 II version. They are simply neutral. No overblown bass or excessive brightness, you hear it as it was recorded.

I also have a pair of NAD Visio HP50s which again are very neutral but are slightly warmer sounding. I preferred these to the equivalent priced B & W P5 which I found had too much bass (not a huge amount). These provide quite a good seal which isolates outside noise quite effectively. Downside: microphonics.

I would stay away from Beats as the bass is excessive but that is my choice, some people love them.

Thanks.

Quite a few here> http://www.thomann.de/ie/search.html?filter=true&gk=djkh&manufacturer[]=Sennheiser

I like the look of these> http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_hd25_c_ii.htm

Anyone sell them in Dublin?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I'm VAT registered. Possible to buy from Thomann VAT free?

Thanks.

Quite a few here> http://www.thomann.de/ie/search.html?filter=true&gk=djkh&manufacturer[]=Sennheiser

Thanks.

D.

The HD25s you linked are grand, they have a coiled cable though. I'd personally pick these ones http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_hd_25_aluminium.htm

Thanks.

Thanks.

D.

The HiFi Hut stock sennheiser as I think does Harvey Norman. It is very doubtful this model would be in stock as it is an old design, I think it is around since the late 80s. They have continued to manufacture them as they are still in demand but they are not very flashy so do not tend to be stocked in many retail outlets. Perhaps they could order them in. The fact that they are manufactured for close to 30 years speaks volumes. Sennheiser also have a site in Ballymount. I have ordered spares from them for other headphones over the years, not sure whether they sell the actual phones to the public. The oldest pair of working phones I have are Sennheiser: over 20 years. They are built to last

If ordering online, please beware that there are a lot of fakes out there, Thomann would be a reputable site. If ordering from amazon, I would not trust all third party resellers.

I think Cloney Audio stock Sennheiser, at least the did. They are in Blackrock and Dawson Street.

The HiFi Hut stock sennheiser as I think does Harvey Norman. It is very doubtful this model would be in stock as it is an old design, I think it is around since the late 80s. They have continued to manufacture them as they are still in demand but they are not very flashy so do not tend to be stocked in many retail outlets. Perhaps they could order them in. The fact that they are manufactured for close to 30 years speaks volumes. Sennheiser also have a site in Ballymount. I have ordered spares from them for other headphones over the years, not sure whether they sell the actual phones to the public. The oldest pair of working phones I have are Sennheiser: over 20 years. They are built to last

If ordering online, please beware that there are a lot of fakes out there, Thomann would be a reputable site. If ordering from amazon, I would not trust all third party resellers.

Are you saying the HDs I linked to are from the 80s, or the aluminum ones that marko93 mentioned are?

Thanks.

D.

Are you saying the HDs I linked to are from the 80s, or the aluminum ones that marko93 mentioned are?

Thanks.

D.

I think he was saying the design of them is from the 80's as in they haven't changed much since their inception

I think he was saying the design of them is from the 80's as in they haven't changed much since their inception

Thanks.

Had a look at Hifihut. Lots of Sennheisers - though no HD-25.

http://www.hifihut.ie/headphones.html?manufacturer=21

Momenutums look nice.

D.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Had a look at Hifihut. Lots of Sennheisers - though no HD-25.

http://www.hifihut.ie/headphones.html?manufacturer=21

Momenutums look nice.

D.

I think the 25s would be fine for you, Momentums are nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

If you are listening to music on your phone, you may initially be disappointed with the sound you get even from good headphones. I bought a set of sennheiser HD201s, very affordable, after reading rave reviews everywhere. When I tried them on my nexus 5 I was really disappointed, just very flat, hollow sound. Did some research and got an app called Viper4Android, basically a fancy equaliser type thing with a bazillion options to play around with. The difference was incredible, really brings out the quality in the headphones and addresses the very basic sound controls of the phone.

Thanks for the replies.

I tried Bowers and Wilkins P5 (I think, maybe P7) on my iPhone in Cloney, Dawson Street. They blew me away.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P5-Series-2.html

But, while they're exquisitely made (leather and metal) they're not for out and about use, methinks.

D.

Yes, HD25 design is from the 80's. They have changed little over the years, changes being mainly cosmetic. If it aint broke, don't fix it. For my ears and preferences, these are my favourite headphones in this price range.

Am intrigued by these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-1R-Ultimate-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B00974PZ9G

Harvey Norman have the noise-cancelling version.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/headphones/sony-prestige-headphones-mdr-1rnc.html

Have always liked Sony products. Beautifully designed and equally functional.

D.

Thanks for that.

Here they are on Sony's Irish site.

http://www.sony.ie/buy/mdr-1a

Very tempted.

How comfy are the HD-25 for long periods of use? They look a bit severe. :P

Thanks.

D.

My money I'd go with the HD25ALU(just a personal preference, standard are fine too). I've used them for plenty of hours on loan and never had a problem. You can shift their tightness pretty well.

I've only ever tried MDR 1R in the shops and found them quite light, so I'd imagine quite comfortable for long hours :)

My money I'd go with the HD25ALU(just a personal preference, standard are fine too). I've used them for plenty of hours on loan and never had a problem. You can shift their tightness pretty well.

I've only ever tried MDR 1R in the shops and found them quite light, so I'd imagine quite comfortable for long hours :)

I would probably second that but have never heard them. They are a 25th anniversary edition. Originally they were quite expensive compared to the hd 25 1 II but are available for similar money now. The general consensus seems to be that they are better.

Re comfort, I can wear these for hours. They do provide a tight clamp which is good for noise isolation but are adjustable. It all depends on the size and shape of your head, they suit me as I have a perfect head, pretty much perfect all round.

• Advertisement

Does anyone use these> http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/audio-technica-ath-m50x/

Lots of very good reviews and a mere €138 here> http://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_technica_ath_m50_x.htm

Only drawback is no iPhone cable.

Thanks.

D.

ps. I see the Bowers & Wilkins P7 get top of the line reviews in quite a few places. If you can get to Cloney in Tower Records, Dawson St., Dublin, it's worth listening to them. They really are incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Have ATH M 50s without detachable cable.

Great cans. Quite neutral though.

Gateway to audiophilia etc..

Widely recommended.

Morf wrote: »
    Have ATH M 50s without detachable cable.

Great cans. Quite neutral though.

Gateway to audiophilia etc..

Widely recommended.

Just be careful with M50 vs M50x, the x variant being the one with detachable cables :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Would anyone recommend the M40X over the M50X or vice versa? Are the M50X worth the extra €50 or so?

In the end I went to Cloney's and auditioned 7 headphones.

The P7's were simply on another planet (plus they have the build quality and looks of a Porsche!) so I bought them - I just couldn't resist.

They're incredible.

D.

In the end I went to Cloney's and auditioned 7 headphones.

The P7's were simply on another planet (plus they have the build quality and looks of a Porsche!) so I bought them - I just couldn't resist.

They're incredible.

D.

Well done. I don't think you can go wrong with B & W not to mention Cloney. It is an excellent shop: great products and service. The P7s were not available when I last purchased headphones. I went for Nad HP50 which I preferred to the P5s but I presume the P7s are a noticeable step up. Enjoy.

By the way, have they Sennheisers at the moment?

• Advertisement

By the way, have they Sennheisers at the moment?

Yes, they do. I tried a couple of models - not HD-25.

Useful to set equaliser in iPhone to Flat.

D.

Ps. Worth asking the cost of a replacement cable for various cans. Some as much as €80. B&W only €18.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

Tomo.Murphy Would anyone recommend the M40X over the M50X or vice versa? Are the M50X worth the extra €50 or so?

i have the m40xs i tried out both sets the m50xs have slightly better bass to them if bass is not to important to you go for the m40xs

Advertisement