Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talk to me about cat litter

• 22-03-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I have my 6 month old female kitten 3 weeks now . She has settled in been nutured etc and is a joy . One issue is she throws out here litter . I got expensive clumbing litter which I have used last 2 weeks but I have chalky paw marks everywhere and it's tiny granules so when she kicks it out goes everywhere and trails around house .

I am looking for better options or any ideas . Not sure if would use inclosed litter box . What has worked for others . I have cleaned out and now changed to cheap non clumbing tesco at the minute . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Deeper litter tray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Got the deepest one with a lip on the sides etc considering a very deep basin and giving that a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A bigger deeper litter tray would help. I buy ours from Zooplus as all of the ones I found in pet shops were far too small and shallow. Cats can be very fussy about cat litter, we use Cats Best Oko Plus, again from Zooplus. It's cheaper, absorbs odour really well and our cats like it. It doesn't track as much as some litters and it clumps. It's biodegradable so solids can be flushed down the loo and clean stuff can be composted. We just put the old stuff in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That clumping litter is rubbish.

Get the very light stuff.
    There is one in SuperValu and centra with a cat on front on all yellow bag it is the best I have used so far and so easy to clean out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Thanks all just heading to maxi zoo to look at enclosed boxes and give that a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Enclosed litter boxes are more of a pain to clean and also smellier for the cat (since they don't air out as well). I took the lid off and just put it in a more private place and he's perfectly happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

There is one in SuperValu and centra with a cat on front on all yellow bag it is the best I have used so far and so easy to clean out.

That's Thomas. Big bags are available cheap on feedyourpet.ie, free delivery in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

We use the silica crystals in the link below and find them great:

http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter/silicate_litter/478060

Also +1 on the enclosed box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    That's Thomas. Big bags are available cheap on feedyourpet.ie, free delivery in Dublin.
    the name was in my head but couldn't say it :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I started using woody cat litter and find it really clean... no smell, moisture or tracks. My cat doesn't seem to kick as much of it out either. I bought it in petworld and wish i found it earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

when a cat uses the litter box, it likes to cover up what its done :D Tux used to fire the litter ceiling high :P Litter everywhere! I got a big big plastic box, put the litter tray into it, so now the scattered litter falls into the outside box - keeps all contained in 1 place. I line the outside box with newspaper too.

BUT! Now that Tux is in/out (and I mean like a yoyo!!!) she is toileting outside - excellent solution! (Do I sound like a proud cat owner??!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Big Nasty wrote: »
    We use the silica crystals in the link below and find them great:

http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter/silicate_litter/478060

Also +1 on the enclosed box.

My advice too. And these make litter boxes a breeze to clean.
    I buy a bag every saturday from the pet shop across the road and that does me the week. I use a deep litter box and instead of scooping I just empty the whole thing a couple of times a week. This stuff holds the smell brilliantly and doesnt stick to bottom of the tray so all if glides right out. Also if they throw any out it is so easily swept up.
    Give the bottom a clean once a week (takes 2 seconds!) and my cat is happy out now. Also, me and my partner have no interesting smells to contend with!
    In addition, it is much lighter, so disposing is so much easier, the clumping stuff gets so heavy and can cause problems certainly when using communal bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

When I took Arya in we got a big cage from Argos (we thought she was semi feral) so that she could recover in an enclosed space after her neutering and then we thought we were releasing her back out. The cage has a metal tray bottom.

Since then we just left the cage open in her room and her litter tray is in it and if she kicks any litter out it just goes in the cage tray and its easy to sweep up. For chalky paw prints we put a cheapo fabric throw next to the litter tray that she walks on leaving the cage, so we dont get as many dusty footprints about.

We use LIDL litter. Arya goes outside now also and I think she goes to the toilet outside sometimes as the litter tray is not as used as it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Enclosed litter boxes are more of a pain to clean and also smellier for the cat (since they don't air out as well). I took the lid off and just put it in a more private place and he's perfectly happy with it.

We just took that front door thing off ours and it's working fine.

We also use the fine, clumping litter, we get ours from Maxizoo and find it very good at absorbing the smells as well as clumping up nicely so easy to clean out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

My kittens are using wood pellets from the local co-op. I have cardboard under my litter tray. May need to get deeper litter tray in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had this issue (litter outside box) and got a deep storage box in B&Q and used that.
    I cut an opening in the side for entry but as they got older they just jumped in and out and I taped over the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

aonb wrote: »
    when a cat uses the litter box, it likes to cover up what its done

Not true if you have several cats, the "alpha" cat out of the group will generally leave it's leavings uncovered as a sign of who's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

holyhead wrote: »
    My kittens are using wood pellets from the local co-op. I have cardboard under my litter tray. May need to get deeper litter tray in time.

That's what I use too. It's sold in our local co-op as wood pellets for stoves I think. 15kg for €5.80 so great value.

Advertisement