Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping companies that sponsor trainee ratings?

Options
  • 22-03-2015 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Would anyone be able to give me some suggestions as to shipping companies either here or in the UK that sponsor trainee ratings? I've been doing a lot of searching but unfortunately it seems many of the UK ones only have officer cadetships, and since I've not got the maths qualifications for it that's not what I'm looking for.

So far I've only found one to apply to. I've seen another, Bibby Ship Management, but it seems they only take people that are UK residents. If anyone has suggestions for companies they know of I'd be much obliged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Sponsor you for what courses?

Outside of the navy, there is essentially no future for Irish ratings when Eastern European or Asian crews can be employed for a fraction of the cost.

Irish lights, Trinity House, Stena Line and possibly P&O Maritime Service may be options, but I'd imagine that'd require some previous experience to take you on as an EDH. Maybe worth a try though

Going to sea is a great career, but get the tickets and forget about going the ratings route would be my advise. Thirty years ago it was different, in today's world if you want long term prospects, you need your tickets

Advertisement