Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Coach

Options
  • 22-03-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Who do people think the new Irish Coach should be?

As some have suggested elsewhere surely we should be looking for an Irishman to take over the National job, particularly when we have someone as talented as Brian O'Rourke within our ranks.

Mr O'Rourke has a phenomenal record in guiding the Leinster youth teams from a province with 2.5 million people to victory against youth teams from an Ulster province with 2.1 million people thats divided in two.

He also has a phenomenal record in increasing the playing numbers in the province of Leinster through his work with youth. The rise in playing numbers is all surely Mr O'Rourkes work and not down to the rise in players of Asian extraction as some would have us believe. The stats are all lies

Mr O'Rourke would also not have lost out on the likes of Craig Ervine & Nathan Waller to Zimbabwe. His recruitment of Zimbabwean Robin Kelly and Englishman Sonny Cott for his club and country are surely proof of that.

Mr O'Rourke with his history of attracting players from local rivals such as Wian Voerwood from Merrion and Hugo Mays from Railway Union would also come in useful in his ability to attract players like Tim Murtagh from the Old Enemy England. He might even bring Morgan and Rankin back if they agreed to play for Pembroke.

Finally, his ability to influence youngsters and their parents to allow their kids sign for Pembroke, would also surely come in useful for Ireland. If Mr O'Rourke had been appointed 5 years ago Joe Root might have been Irish. He has proven his record here with the recruitment of the Lawsons, the McDonnells, Mays, Voerwood, Nicol, Hopkins and Russell to name but a few.

Time to start the O'Rourke for Ireland campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Matthew Mott is the early favourite apparently.

Personally I dont give a damn what nationality the coach is, once he does a good job and puts his 100% into it.

We should be looking for an Irish fellow...because he is best placed to persuade players born in other countries to join up?

I'm not doubting O'Rourke's ability, but there seems to be a flaw in that logic somewhere.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If Mr O'Rourke had been appointed 5 years ago Joe Root might have been Irish.
    Seriously? Root had already made his Yorkshire debut 5 years ago and was a star of the England U19 team - I suspect a lot of people would have expected him to make the grade at full England level very early in his career. Indeed any move to play for Ireland would in all likelihood have have a massively negative impact on his career. Even if he had played for Ireland though do you really think he would still be playing for them?

tbh I'd rather our team focus on producing our own players rather than go the FAI route and beg English players with little Irish roots to play.

We have the talent here to make our own team without relying on English youngsters as a temporary fix

delete

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

tbh I'd rather our team focus on producing our own players rather than go the FAI route and beg English players with little Irish roots to play.

We have the talent here to make our own team without relying on English youngsters as a temporary fix

I doubt it is CI policy to actively chase foreign players. As you say, we have the talent and we just need to retain our County Cricket players when possible.

My understanding about Rankin was that Giles told him, he would get an extension on his contract, provided he didn't make himself available for Ireland. I think he returned injured a couple of times from Ireland duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Who do people think the new Irish Coach should be?

As some have suggested elsewhere surely we should be looking for an Irishman to take over the National job, particularly when we have someone as talented as Brian O'Rourke within our ranks.

Mr O'Rourke has a phenomenal record in guiding the Leinster youth teams from a province with 2.5 million people to victory against youth teams from an Ulster province with 2.1 million people thats divided in two.

He also has a phenomenal record in increasing the playing numbers in the province of Leinster through his work with youth. The rise in playing numbers is all surely Mr O'Rourkes work and not down to the rise in players of Asian extraction as some would have us believe. The stats are all lies

Mr O'Rourke would also not have lost out on the likes of Craig Ervine & Nathan Waller to Zimbabwe. His recruitment of Zimbabwean Robin Kelly and Englishman Sonny Cott for his club and country are surely proof of that.

Mr O'Rourke with his history of attracting players from local rivals such as Wian Voerwood from Merrion and Hugo Mays from Railway Union would also come in useful in his ability to attract players like Tim Murtagh from the Old Enemy England. He might even bring Morgan and Rankin back if they agreed to play for Pembroke.

Finally, his ability to influence youngsters and their parents to allow their kids sign for Pembroke, would also surely come in useful for Ireland. If Mr O'Rourke had been appointed 5 years ago Joe Root might have been Irish. He has proven his record here with the recruitment of the Lawsons, the McDonnells, Mays, Voerwood, Nicol, Hopkins and Russell to name but a few.

Time to start the O'Rourke for Ireland campaign

Brilliantly constructed argument. When do we start the petition?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Beasty wrote: »
    Seriously? Root had already made his Yorkshire debut 5 years ago and was a star of the England U19 team - I suspect a lot of people would have expected him to make the grade at full England level very early in his career. Indeed any move to play for Ireland would in all likelihood have have a massively negative impact on his career. Even if he had played for Ireland though do you really think he would still be playing for them?
    I dont think the OP is being serious..

I dont think the OP is being serious..

His point about Root may be overly optimistic but there's certainly merit in the rest.

Plates wrote: »
    His point about Root may be overly optimistic but there's certainly merit in the rest.
    Some alright, but the way it's written seems a bit odd to me..

The rise in playing numbers is all surely Mr O'Rourkes work and not down to the rise in players of Asian extraction as some would have us believe. The stats are all lies

He might even bring Morgan and Rankin back if they agreed to play for Pembroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mjrc1

Some alright, but the way it's written seems a bit odd to me..

In what way? I think all of what's actually said are facts, one thinks that would O'Rourke continue along the ladder with these boys rather than stop and return to a lower age group every few years that not only would the players all be playing and prospering in big clubs like Pembroke, but they would have progressed excellently onto full national side as well.

mjrc1 wrote: »
    In what way? I think all of what's actually said are facts, one thinks that would O'Rourke continue along the ladder with these boys rather than stop and return to a lower age group every few years that not only would the players all be playing and prospering in big clubs like Pembroke, but they would have progressed excellently onto full national side as well.
    I guess it was just me, but the quotes in my last post read a bit strange to me, Morgan and Rankin coming back just to play for Pembroke? Well fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

I think the right candidate for the job should be chosen regardless of nationality, Ireland as a team are at a critical junction now, Some of the players may start retiring soonish and we need to ensure the next batch coming through have the best coach possible,I really fell it mightn't be the time yet for someone from the provincial to manage Ireland at the moment, Morgan and Rankin will not play for Ireland again the emphasis must be on keeping our talented players we have now together.. The coach we should be going for should also lean towards the bowling discipline as we have a real issue developing there

I guess it was just me, but the quotes in my last post read a bit strange to me, Morgan and Rankin coming back just to play for Pembroke? Well fair enough

No it's definitely not just you - me too. After all the OP has one post on boards.ie so immediately one needs to be cautious.

Having said that, B O'R should be in with a chance of getting the job.

But having said that, I still believe that money will dictate who will we get as coach. We don't have a marquee sponsor and are staring down the ICC barrel too.

HonalD wrote: »
    No it's definitely not just you - me too. After all the OP has one post on boards.ie so immediately one needs to be cautious.

Having said that, B O'R should be in with a chance of getting the job.

But having said that, I still believe that money will dictate who will we get as coach. We don't have a marquee sponsor and are staring down the ICC barrel too.

Maybe it was a Pembroke member or O'Rourke himself who was the OP? I think he captained Pembroke at one stage so he has the leadership box ticked too. Quite the comprehensive CV he's built up.

By all accounts its John Bracewell with the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A very good appointment I think, he'll move things along well.

Great news indeed.

Advertisement