Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you use to worm + flea your dog?

• 22-03-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33

I normally buy whatever worming tablet is recommended to me at the pet store, I than give it to him according to his weight. Was wondering what would be the best worming tablet for an indoor dog who is kept on lead? He does a lot of sniffing and investigated whilst in the garden and on his walk. So I want one that will protect him fully. How is it best to give it to him and how often (every 3 months?)
    Also what Fleaing treating would you best recommend?
    And is it too harsh if I flea and worm my dog within a day or two? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nothing!! I got a worm count last year and they were clear and they swim too much to use spot ons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would/do not buy any anti-parasite products from the pet shop... It's vet only for me.
    I never flea-treat them either... Just worms maybe 2-3 times per year, though I like the idea of a worm count tk... Tell me more!
    The reason I don't treat for fleas is because I don't like over-medicating my dogs, particularly pre-emptively. If they get fleas, I'll deal with it, but quite honestly the last time I had to treat them was 11 years ago, when we moved into a new build house that was itself infested.
    A healthy dog in a healthy environment is very unlikely to pick up a flea problem!

DBB wrote: »
    I would/do not buy any anti-parasite products from the pet shop... It's vet only for me.
    I never flea-treat them either... Just worms maybe 2-3 times per year, though I like the idea of a worm count tk... Tell me more!
    The reason I don't treat for fleas is because I don't like over-medicating my dogs, particularly pre-emptively. If they get fleas, I'll deal with it, but quite honestly the last time I had to treat them was 11 years ago, when we moved into a new build house that was itself infested.
    A healthy dog in a healthy environment is very unlikely to pick up a flea problem!

I got kits from wormcount.com but they've upped their prices since then - I paid £15 each and got one free kit. You post back 'samples' and then they mail you results - both of mine were clear for intestinal and heart worm.
    :D:D
    When I was posting them the self service kiosk thing was broken so I queued up at the post office and was asked what was in the packs - I hadn't thought that far ahead so said "samples..." and the woman looked at me :confused: "well.... it's basically... dog poo?" and she went :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

After reading posts here, I have decided not use a flea spot-on for the first time this year and see how we get on. I used to get Prac-Tic online.

For worming I use Milbemax (from vets) which is good for lungworm aswell. One tip I got from a vet was that each Mibemax tablet is for dogs weighing between 5-25kg. My dogs weigh between 9-13kg so the vet told me half a tablet would do.

If it's a dry summer, you have to keep an eye out for harvest mites, usually starting from late July onwards. Little buggers. I've been using a foot bath for the dogs with 4 parts warm water to one part apple cider vinegar, sponging it up their legs a bit too, during those months and it *seems* to have done the trick.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say I gave Billy No Mates last year during the summer months - still have a bottle of it so will probably give it again this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I would use milbemax wormers for my pair, but I haven't used a flea treatment in about 5 years. I did have to use advocate for harvest mites in 2013 but nothing since. Would you put nit/lice potions on your childs hair if they didn't have any ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Forart14

odckdo wrote: »
    After reading posts here, I have decided not use a flea spot-on for the first time this year and see how we get on. I used to get Prac-Tic online.

For worming I use Milbemax (from vets) which is good for lungworm aswell. One tip I got from a vet was that each Mibemax tablet is for dogs weighing between 5-25kg. My dogs weigh between 9-13kg so the vet told me half a tablet would do.

Thanks for replying. Can I ask why you don't flea your dog? And what type of dog(s) do you have? Are they always indoor etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Forart14

I would use milbemax wormers for my pair, but I haven't used a flea treatment in about 5 years. I did have to use advocate for harvest mites in 2013 but nothing since. Would you put nit/lice potions on your childs hair if they didn't have any ;)

Will defo check that out thanks. What breed of dog do you have and what's it's lifestyle? Is he/she often out and about, off lead, mixing with any other dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Forart14 wrote: »
    Will defo check that out thanks. What breed of dog do you have and what's it's lifestyle? Is he/she often out and about, off lead, mixing with any other dogs?

I have Irish setters, very active, always out and about on the beach or in fields, and in the bottom of ditches. They mix with multiple dogs all day every day too :D. They're generally very healthy and rarely have any bugs or infections. Touch wood!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Forart14 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. Can I ask why you don't flea your dog? And what type of dog(s) do you have? Are they always indoor etc??

Up to this year I always used a flea spot-on in the warmer months.

Over the last while there has been alot posts from people not doing this anymore mainly due to the chemicals being added to your dog's system.

I have cockers and there indoor most of the time. Live in town but 3/4 times a week we are out walking the canal, forests, countryside in general.

I'll see how it goes without the flea spot-on. The other advantage is I'll be saving money if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

DBB wrote: »

There actually are licenced merchants or registered retailers that can supply antiparasitic treatments, see here from the regulatory body.

Most commonly look for the topical preparation of fipronil for fleas and ticks, apply it once monthly directly to the skin (part the fur) in the area between the ears and the shoulder blades. Keep dry for 1 day before and 2 days after application. This product does not cover for lice or mites.

For endoparasites a good over the counter medicine would be one that contains praziquantel and pyrantel, but keep in mind there is a gap in protection against lungworm which is present in Ireland. This is to be administered every 3 months.

Most commonly look for the topical preparation of fipronil for fleas and ticks, apply it once monthly directly to the skin (part the fur) in the area between the ears and the shoulder blades. Keep dry for 1 day before and 2 days after application. This product does not cover for lice or mites.

For endoparasites a good over the counter medicine would be one that contains praziquantel and pyrantel, but keep in mind there is a gap in protection against lungworm which is present in Ireland. This is to be administered every 3 months.

I have to assume, as you quoted my post, that all this is aimed somewhat at me?
    As I said in my post, I'm not interested in treating for fleas or ticks pre-emptively because I have no interest in using chemicals unless I have to. As I stated, it's a long time since I had to treat my dogs for fleas. I remove ticks physically. As you note, fipronil doesn't kill mites, the only parasites I mentioned that I treat for in my post. So I'm not sure why you quoted my post to tell me stuff I gave no indication of needing to hear?
    I also did not ask for any advice on endoparasites. But when I want advice on any of these, I will do so with my own vet.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

An informative post nonetheless that would benefit other users though.
    Its all very well for those who are well informed to make decisions why and when to use certain treatments, but for your average pet owner, a simple flea infestation can quickly become a nightmare.

If your dogs are inclined to pick up ticks DBB, are you not in the least concerned about lime disease?

Its a bit late pulling off ticks after they have attached. Where products like Pyrethrin kill on contact, and are relatively harmless as topical treatments go (well, unless you have cats!)

I don't routinely treat my cat for fleas as he is indoor (low risk) and he has atopic dermatitis (high relative risk for adverse reactions) though he has received advocate in the past.

My family dog and outdoor cat are treated for worms with milbemax, and then advocate seasonally. We don't have ticks despite living in a lowland wetland area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I use advocate for the flea dose & milbemax for the worm dose. Seems to do the job on all my dogs :) And I love how the worm tablet can come in chewy form I think they are chicken flavor to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I don't use anything. If I've evidence of either, I'll treat them. All this worming/flea treatment thing is bo**ocks to make money for drug companies. How did dogs manage to survive and evolve thus far without them?

Tropheus wrote: »
    I don't use anything. If I've evidence of either, I'll treat them. All this worming/flea treatment thing is bo**ocks to make money for drug companies. How did dogs manage to survive and evolve thus far without them?

In one way you're right, regular faecal egg counts allow for more specific targeted treatment of endoparasites thus reducing the global problem of anthelminthic resistance.

However recent advances in medicine allow for treatment of diseases that once were ubiquitous. The most important way to do so is preventatively. Regardless, here is the most recent objective and independent guidelines on worm control in dogs and cats. I would add that there are certain diseases that can be transmitted by parasites that can be fatal and easily prevented.

Maybe so but I wouldn't want my pooches catching lung worm or such. some of the stuff in the meds is contain a preventive strike measure.

Saying that I wouldn't really dose them in the cold weather, when they are not going to be outside except for walks and when there isn't anything about they could easily get anything off. (so I might let them of a single dose)

I don't mind the money part and the stuff I seem to get is gentle on them but I like them having a break of it.

A bit of topic but has anyone noticed that there dog goes a bit quiet and doesn't go to the loo for a day after their booster shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Wild animals 'survive' with fleas, worms and mange, but you wouldn't let them into your house or sleep in your bed.

Preventative health care is just that, preventative health care. Certain parasites are just an inconvenience, others, can cause serious illness, and not just in your pet, but in your family too.

Rips wrote: »
    If your dogs are inclined to pick up ticks DBB, are you not in the least concerned about lime disease?

Its a bit late pulling off ticks after they have attached. Where products like Pyrethrin kill on contact, and are relatively harmless as topical treatments go (well, unless you have cats!)

No, my dogs aren't inclined to pick up ticks, once every so often, and I'm happy not to medicate them pre-emptively for something that happens once every year or two. We're not in an area known for Lyme Disease in any case.:)

• Advertisement

From their leaflet :
    "Advocate should not be allowed to enter water courses as it has harmful effects on aquatic organisms: moxidectin is highly toxic to aquatic organisms. Dogs should not be allowed to swim in surface waters for 4 days after treatment."

That's enough for me not to use it on my two.

tk123 wrote: »
    From their leaflet :
    "Advocate should not be allowed to enter water courses as it has harmful effects on aquatic organisms: moxidectin is highly toxic to aquatic organisms. Dogs should not be allowed to swim in surface waters for 4 days after treatment."

That's enough for me not to use it on my two.

My pooches hate water :P they get a bath once a year so thats ok.

Kind of make sense it is a liquid type medicine thats bound to wash out and spread about in the water. Also may I point out water life is different from canine, fish do have to breathe in water. :)

I would rather my dogs get their doses then mange. Cost less to sort in the long run and my dogs seem to be in top health with shiny coats .

To be honest I go by what my vet says he is brilliant. Oh and I am not saying your dogs would definitely get sick from not dosing but even the cleanest of well minded dogs can pick up stuff.

Satori Rae wrote: »
    My pooches hate water :P they get a bath once a year so thats ok.

Kind of make sense it is a liquid type medicine thats bound to wash out and spread about in the water. Also may I point out water life is different from canine, fish do have to breathe in water. :)

I would rather my dogs get their doses then mange. Cost less to sort in the long run and my dogs seem to be in top health with shiny coats .

To be honest I go by what my vet says he is brilliant. Oh and I am not saying your dogs would definitely get sick from not dosing but even the cleanest of well minded dogs can pick up stuff.

Flea treatments aren't gong to give your dog a shiny coat though? Heathy pets don't tend to get fleas or parasites so I'll take my chances and line my own pockets instead of the likes of vetuk and parcelmotel.

Heathy pets don't tend to get fleas or parasites

This is untrue. For independent objective information on the matter please see here.

Flea treatments aren't gong to give your dog a shiny coat though? Heathy pets don't tend to get fleas or parasites so I'll take my chances and line my own pockets instead of the likes of vetuk and parcelmotel.

The healthiest dog can get anything if it comes into contact with it.

What I meant by the shiny coat comment was it does not seem to damage the dogs skin or coat when applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Milbemax doesn't seem too harsh on my young dog so I'm switching her back to monthly treatments. It's now licenced for lungworm prevention which I was concerned about since they're a problem in the area. The vet recommended Advocate as a preventative but she really didn't tolerate it well. I'll be combining the Milbemax with a regimen of geranium, peppermint, orange and lavender essential oils which seem to have worked well over the winter for her anxiety and also promise results in terms of pest control for pup and bedding. Oh, and garlic in her food a few times a week. I prefer to go as natural as possible but for internal parasites I'm still on the fence.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Milbemax doesn't seem too harsh on my young dog so I'm switching her back to monthly treatments. It's now licenced for lungworm prevention which I was concerned about since they're a problem in the area. The vet recommended Advocate as a preventative but she really didn't tolerate it well. I'll be combining the Milbemax with a regimen of geranium, peppermint, orange and lavender essential oils which seem to have worked well over the winter for her anxiety and also promise results in terms of pest control for pup and bedding. Oh, and garlic in her food a few times a week. I prefer to go as natural as possible but for internal parasites I'm still on the fence.

Be careful Garlic is actually poisonous to dogs, you can get away with tiny amounts cooked in with food if your dog has issues eating but you need to be very wary of amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Satori Rae wrote: »
    Be careful Garlic is actually poisonous to dogs, you can get away with tiny amounts cooked in with food if your dog has issues eating but you need to be very wary of amount.

:rolleyes: Thanks for that. I'm aware that there are two camps regarding garlic and dogs. Given the risks vs benefits I'm happy to feed an appropriate amount for her size.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Garlic-Toxicity-and-Pets.aspx just going to leave this here so you can give a flick through if you want. :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement