Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help to make a fish pie

• 22-03-2015 3:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have some already cooked fish in the fridge. Some haddock and some mackerel. Both were fresh and the girlfriend cooked both of them (kinda poached in tinfoil) so now there done and cold. I was thinking of making a fish pie with them but fear they'll turn really tough if heated again for any length of time in a pie. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do with this lovely fish? Could I make a pie with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No problem.
    Just make your sauce separately and only add your fish before topping it and baking.
    Fish is usually pre cooked for fish pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BnB

Separate question but fairly related so I said I'd Hijack this thread it that's Ok

I made fish pie for the first time during the week using this recipe.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303636/family-meals-easy-fish-pie

I'm not used to using fish but want to do more as the kids seem to love it. In the recipe, they talk about using "1 x pack fish pie mix" and from my reading of the recipe, you make the sauce, throw the fish in (raw) and then bung it in the oven.

I was a bit freaked out by this as I was afraid the fish wouldn't be cooked through fully and I would end up poisoning someone. So I simmered the fish in the sauce for 10-15 minutes on the hob. Anyway, we had the pie and it was lovely so that's all good.

But, do you think it would have been ok to just bung the fish in Raw as I thing the recipe said ? Also, in general, how careful do you have to be when cooking fish. i.e. Is it like Chicken where you have to be super careful that it is cooked through or it it more like beef that you could almost eat it raw ?

There is no problem eating undercooked fish.

The reason a lot of recipes pre cook the fish for a pie is so that the fish doesn't release all it's juices making the sauce too runny. Usually the fish is pre cooked and the sauce is made to the desired consistency with the cooking liquor and the fish added back in.

Fish cooks very very quickly so it would cook fine in the sauce in the oven if you wanted to go that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

The reason a lot of recipes pre cook the fish for a pie is so that the fish doesn't release all it's juices making the sauce too runny. Usually the fish is pre cooked and the sauce is made to the desired consistency with the cooking liquor and the fish added back in.

Fish cooks very very quickly so it would cook fine in the sauce in the oven if you wanted to go that way.

I almost always use uncooked fish when making a fish pie. It then becomes very important to make the sauce as thick as possible - the spoon should be able to stand up in the sauce - so that when cooking the pie the juices that run out leave the sauce at the deisred consistency.

There's no doubt that the method is more hit and miss than pre-cooking the fish, but I prefer to have the occasional too runny sauce than to have overcooked fish.

And 40 or so minutes in an oven is more than long enough to cook fish.

Too late to edit!

Its juices.
    Not it's juices.

#selfgrammarnazi

• Advertisement
Advertisement