Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling the canal

• 22-03-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking to cycle from clondalkin to kilcock. Is it possible to do this solely on the canal, without coming off it?

Thank you
    B

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 EIREX

No, not yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Okay. Thanks. I actually did the cycle this morning from kilcock and was taken off the canal at maynooth, leixlip and lucan. It was meant to take 1.5 hrs but took 2.5. Was wondering if Google maps had screwed me over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 EIREX

There is a plan I understand to have the cycle path completed but its not there yet. Some sections are still muck and grass which I assume is not what your after although you might be able to give it a bash on a mountain bike.

Yeah I have a mountain bike. I don't mind the dirt and mud so long as I can go alongside the canal the whole way. Today I was taken off at maynooth to go through the village then again at leixlip from louisa bridge until st Catherine park and then again at lucan to go on road for a while then Arthur Griffith park.

Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The canal near Clondalkin or Lucan is not the same one that's at Leixlip or Maynooth...

• Advertisement

The canal near Clondalkin or Lucan is not the same one that's at Leixlip or Maynooth...

Lol I don't mind admitting that I'm an idiot and I did not know that. Oops.

The navigation listed the route as Royal Canal Way and went in a straight line from start to finish though, so maybe Google Maps also doesn't know this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Im not sure if I'm misunderstanding the posts on this thread so apologies in advance if my comments are off the mark.

The entire length of both the Royal and Grand Canals can be cycled from the Liffey to the Shannon and there are 'loops' that can be cycled (particularly from Dublin) which involve an outward leg on one and return leg on the other canal with a short link by road. There are several threads on Boards.ie discussing this topic. I have cycled both canals and some of the loops regularly and I can highly recommend the experience. Much of the canal towpaths could be cycled on a road bike or hybrid and all of the canal towpaths can be cycled readily on a mountain bike. While in some places the public road is the towpath there is no reason to leave the canal for any significant distance (i.e more than 100m)
    The towpath surface ranges form metaled to grass and everything between and it is the varying environment which makes the canals so enjoyable. There are some boggy paths in Offaly (Grand) and Longford/Westmeath (Royal) which can be a little messy in bad weather. There are also sections where the grass can be a little long during Summer however this has become less problematic with the increased use of the towpaths in recent years. There are also some gates which obstruct the right of way but these are no more than an irritant.
    I hope this clarifies any concerns people may have about cycling the canal and my advice would be to do it as soon as possible before everyone else finds out what they have been missing.

Advertisement