Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodgement ATMs

Options
  • 22-03-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm with AIB. There is a Bank of Ireland ATM in my town, and it is one of those ATMs that you can lodge money into. Even though I am not with BOI, would I still be able to use that ATM to lodge money into my AIB account?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nope......

The Lodgement ATM (LATM) is an automated self-service device that allows customers to lodge cash and/or cheques to their Bank of Ireland current (and some savings) accounts using their card and pin. The devices also allow customers to lodge cash and/or cheques to their Bank of Ireland Credit card account using their Credit card and PIN.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/help-centre/product-queries/personal-banking/atms-self-service-machines/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just wondering is this lodgement ATM in your Bank of Ireland branch , or is it on the street / supermarket etc . ?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Some branches have one outside in the 'hole in the wall', but there are none in shops/supermarkets.

Okay - would like to see them in shops / supermarkets , as I often need one when the Banks are closed .

None on the street around here yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Okay - would like to see them in shops / supermarkets , as I often need one when the Banks are closed .

None on the street around here yet either

A lodgement ATM requires the periodic removal of cash which is never going to happen in a shop/supermarket where the machine is serviced by a security company.

• Advertisement

Our local in-branch has a 2-in-1 , cash / lodgement , so if cash was frequently been withdrawn , it might not be needed to be emptied often

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Our local in-branch has a 2-in-1 , cash / lodgement , so if cash was frequently been withdrawn , it might not be needed to be emptied often

The cash that's lodged isn't the cash that comes back out - it's two completely separate compartments. The cash that gets lodged in goes into a collection box, it then has to be counted to make sure it balances with what the machine says it took in, and sorted into different denominations. Also there are cheques lodged into those machines, which have to be checked to make sure they're signed/in date/the correct amount/endorsed if necessary.

The cash that comes out when you make a withdrawal is loaded into cases that hold the notes in position ready to be dispensed, and they need to be loaded by a staff member, to make sure that there's no jams. Also the notes that are dispensed have to be above a certain quality - if they're manky and worn they'll just jam up the machine and it'll go out of service.

Regardless of where the Lodgement ATM is, they'll still need to be opened at least once a day to be balanced off, and verify the transactions before they're "posted" to the customers' account. Otherwise it could be days before customers saw their money in their accounts.

Advertisement