Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Poland - March 29th 2015 (RTE2/19:45)

• 22-03-2015 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

EURO2016_490x260.jpg
    Ireland squad:

Goalkeepers: David Forde (Millwall FC), Shay Given (Aston Villa FC), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday FC), Darren Randolph (Birmingham City FC), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United FC)

Defenders: Richard Keogh (Derby County FC), Marc Wilson (Stoke City FC), Seamus Coleman (Everton FC), Cyrus Christie (Derby County FC), John O’Shea (Sunderland AFC), Alex Pearce (Reading FC), Paul McShane (Hull City FC), James McCarthy (Everton FC), Jeff Hendrick (Derby County FC), Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa FC), Stephen Ward (Burnley FC)

Midfielders: Harry Arter (AFC Bournemouth), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City FC), Darron Gibson (Everton FC), Paul Green (Rotherham United FC), Aiden McGeady (Everton FC), Anthony Pilkington (Cardiff City FC), James McClean (Wigan Athletic FC), Robbie Brady (Hull City FC), Stephen Quinn (Hull City FC), David Meyler (Hull City FC)

Forwards: Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Shane Long (Southampton FC), Daryl Murphy (Ipswich Town FC), Jon Walters (Stoke City FC), Kevin Doyle (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC), Anthony Stokes (Celtic FC), Simon Cox (Reading FC), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town FC).
    Poland squad

Goalkeepers:
    Artur Boruc (A.F.C. Bournemouth), Łukasz Fabiański (Swansea FC), Wojciech Szczęsny (Arsenal FC)

Defenders: Thiago Rangel Cionek (Modena FC), Kamil Glik (AC Torino), Rafał Janicki (Lechia Gdańsk), Marcin Komorowski (Terek Grozny), Paweł Olkowski (1. FC Koeln), Łukasz Szukała (Al-Ittihad), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Lechia Gdańsk), Grzegorz Wojtkowiak (Lechia Gdańsk)

Midfielders and forwards:
    Maciej Gajos (Jagiellonia Białystok), Tomasz Jodłowiec (Legia Warszawa), Grzegorz Krychowiak (Sevilla FC), Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), Karol Linetty (Lech Poznań), Sebastian Mila (Lechia Gdańsk), Arkadiusz Milik (Ajax Amsterdam), Sławomir Peszko (1. FC Koeln), Maciej Rybus (Terek Grozny), Łukasz Teodorczyk (Dinamo Kiev), Michał Żyro (Legia Warszawa)

Reserve list:
    Przemysław Tytoń (Elche), Tomasz Kędziora (Lech Poznań), Łukasz Broź (Legia Warszawa), Krzysztof Mączyński (Guizhou Renhe), Michał Kucharczyk (Legia Warszawa), Piotr Zieliński (Empoli)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Massive game, we really need a win. Don't fear Poland too much to be honest when you look at their squad, Lewandowski could be the difference between the teams but he doesn't seem to be as prolific for Poland, are the two from Dortmund injured? Time for some of our players to step up and put in a performance, the likes of McCarthy, Coleman, McGeady, Long will need to put in big performances.

I'm predicting we will line up something like this:

Forde
    Coleman
    O'Shea
    Keogh
    Wilson
    Walters
    McCarthy
    Whelan
    McGeady
    Keane
    Long

Although I'm not sure he fancies Shane Long, so we could see Brady/McClean on the wing with Walters up front or bring in a third central midfielder, but if we are going for the win I'd think we will play two forwards. Daryl Murphy and Harry Arter are both in great form this season, while I wouldn't risk either from the start both could be worth a gamble off the bench if it's not working for us on the night. Hopefully it will be a memorable night in the Aviva but unfortunately I can see it finishing a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Ireland play anything like they did against Scotland, I'm not watching. It doesn't matter to me how the sides stack up on paper, if Ireland play like that again they're not bound to get many goals, if any, and therefore be only one slip up away from a result they don't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

One all if we're lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Should be an cracking atmosphere. I expect a lot of polish to be there due to the large population in Ireland and England.

I'll go for a narrow 2 1 Ireland win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Going for a narrow victory for us, looking forward to it big time now as should be a good atmosphere around. COYBIG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not confident for this one, think Poland will do the business. Had to turn down a free ticket to this, would have been great to go but can't fit everything in I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Hope our lineup is like this :

......................Given

Coleman....O'Shea....Clark....Wilson

McGeady...Whelan...McCarthy....Brady

....................Hoolahan

...............................Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

So Ward and McClean are doubtful. O'Neill hinting that Brady could feature at left-back or left-wing.

I can't see the O'Shea/Wilson partnership being broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Hope Gibson gets at least some good time off the bench, very impressive for Everton at the weekend with McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Poland could win this quite comfortably. There's no point being delusional about it. They have Champions league standard players in their squad, we have mostly championship players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

2-1 Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We played well against Germany when we went a goal down. We proved on that occasion we have the ability to play like that if we take the game to the opposition.

Against Scotland, Ireland didn't seem to have a plan and badly missed McCarthy and Whelan in midfield. In the Group so far Scotland have more often so far played like what I hoped we would play like in this campaign, in terms of attitude especially.

We have to beat Poland. Take the game to them and be aggressive. Do that and we'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

thelad95 wrote: »
    Poland could win this quite comfortably. There's no point being delusional about it. They have Champions league standard players in there squad, we have mostly championship players.

Unfortunately that's pretty much it.

Don't forget of course that we were outplayed by Scotland, Georgia and Germany so far.

There's hope that home advantage will inspire us somehow, but not too much

Poland could win this quite comfortably. There's no point being delusional about it. They have Champions league standard players in there squad, we have mostly championship players.

Poland won't win it comfortably, that much is certain. I'd say it'll be a close match. I'd go for a narrow Irish win. There's not that much between Ireland, Scotland and Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Everyone knows about Lewandowski and they have a very good La Liga player called Krychowiak playing for Sevilla.

Apart from that they don't look anything we should be scared of tbh, especially with the Dortmund duo not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Don't forget of course that we were outplayed by Scotland, Georgia and Germany so far.

We allow ourselves to be outplayed.

Whatever about Germany, Scotland and Georgia are teams we can easily compete with. O'Neill's Trap 2.0 tactics are worrying.

Do not allow them time on the ball. Don't sit back. Put...teams...under...pressure. Put average teams under pressure. Poland are an average team. Put Poland under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

briany wrote: »
    If Ireland play anything like they did against Scotland, I'm not watching.

which you won't know unless you watch the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmrules

I'll be happy with a draw but with Lewandowski and Milik up front I can see us winning...hope its a good game...good luck

C'mon Poland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

We were in no way, shape or form outplayed by Georgia. We played poorly but we were still better than them. Scotland was deflating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's not been a convincing campaign from Ireland at all. I'm just not confident in Martin O'Neill at all.

Obviously I want us to do well and win games but there's nothing there that fills me with confidence that we can go out and comfortably beat Poland.

Cue a 5-0 Irish win. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Rikand wrote: »
    which you won't know unless you watch the game....

Of course. That's why you watch it for 15 or 20 mins and make an assessment and then switch off. Ireland aren't wont to change up their playing style too radically, and outside of a flukey goal like v. Germany, it could be business as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Ireland play anything like they did against Scotland, I'm not watching. It doesn't matter to me how the sides stack up on paper, if Ireland play like that again they're not bound to get many goals, if any, and therefore be only one slip up away from a result they don't want.
    Of course. That's why you watch it for 15 or 20 mins and make an assessment and then switch off. Ireland aren't wont to change up their playing style too radically, and outside of a flukey goal like v. Germany, it could be business as usual.

Honestly? Who gives a **** what someone who won't watch Ireland in a crunch game because of style of play has to say. Your attention or lack thereof is not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This game worries me. I fancy us being capable against the Scots at home in another battle of wills but the Poles will be a different prospect, and they have a genuine world class player in Lewandowski.

I'm reminded of the game against Sweden and how Ibrahimovic bossed the show. Besides him the teams were fairly evenly matched but his quality was the difference. I fear a similar situation could unfold against Poland.

A win would be massive but I'm not confident. I just hope it's not a defeat.

Fckin doom and gloom around here. I'm looking forward to the game, I predict we'll see a spirited Irish performance and a win for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Clark has to start. Hes been outstanding and his current form he is head and shoulders our best CB.

Poland have 3 players that would make the Irish team. Keep them quiet and we'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Poland to win, were terrible

We wil be the only home nation team not too qualify for euro 2016 ( England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will qualify )

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Poland to win, were terrible

We wil be the only home nation team not too qualify for euro 2016 ( England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will qualify )

:pac: Oh dear. This place has gone downhill.

Home nation:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Just hearing on newstalk that Coleman, O'Shea, Clark and Wilson were the 4 defenders that trained in yellow bibs. I'd say thats about as strong as we have at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ireland 0- 2 Poland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

LeBash wrote: »
    Just hearing on newstalk that Coleman, O'Shea, Clark and Wilson were the 4 defenders that trained in yellow bibs. I'd say thats about as strong as we have at the back.

Would be happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Godot. wrote: »
    Everyone knows about Lewandowski and they have a very good La Liga player called Krychowiak playing for Sevilla.

Apart from that they don't look anything we should be scared of tbh, especially with the Dortmund duo not playing.

Arek Milik has been quality this season, very dangerous player to keep an eye if he starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

the back 4 picks it self when everyone is fit. we don't have many to choose from to be fair.

the midfield is where the main issue is
    does he go 4 or 5 and who does he go with in the 2-3 central spots

McCarthy and Whelan are all most guaranteed
    then it's a case of a 3rd central (hoolhan, keane, mcgeady, meyler)
    the wide spots may well be mcgeady and pilkington\mclean if fit
    with long up top on his own

i expect a 4-4-1-1 formation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

0-2 Poland and the end of our campaign :(

• Going to stay positive, 2-1 win for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Home nation:pac:

Us British Islers ya know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

TaosHum wrote: »
    0-2 Poland and the end of our campaign :(

If we were to lose 2-0 at home to Poland, O'Neill should be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

where will the Poland team be based in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

jebus84 wrote: »
    where will the Poland team be based in Dublin

Anybody know where in Dublin I can buy a large ghettoblaster ?

Why all the negativity? We've had one bad result, v Scotland, and even that was hardly a catastrophe, we were away. I expect us to be a lot better at home and to beat Poland. And hopefully Roy won't release a book or get involved with a fan on the eve of the match.

8-10 wrote: »
    Arek Milik has been quality this season, very dangerous player to keep an eye if he starts.

It's hard to tell about the Dutch league, Jozy Altidore was prolific there

• Advertisement

Godot. wrote: »
    It's hard to tell about the Dutch league, Jozy Altidore was prolific there

Completely different players, plus Milik has scored in each of Poland's last 4 internationals. Even if he doesn't start he'll be a threat off the bench and is a lot better than our options

Completely different players, plus Milik has scored in each of Poland's last 4 internationals. Even if he doesn't start he'll be a threat off the bench and is a lot better than our options

Altidore has scored against Denmark, Chile and Colombia in the last 6 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Why all the negativity? We've had one bad result, v Scotland, and even that was hardly a catastrophe, we were away. I expect us to be a lot better at home and to beat Poland. And hopefully Roy won't release a book or get involved with a fan on the eve of the match.

In fairness, we've played awful sh!te in every game so far. By the grace of god and some last minute magic, our campaign could be already over.

If our hoof ball tactics continue on Sunday, then I can't see beyond a loss.

The negativity is for very good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

doncarlos wrote: »
    If we were to lose 2-0 at home to Poland, O'Neill should be sacked

You don't base a decision like that off of one game....you base it off the entire campaign.

If we don't qualify at the end of the campaign, then you sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Our options from the bench? Or our options full stop? Because I wouldn't agree with the second one.

CSF wrote: »
    Our options from the bench? Or our options full stop? Because I wouldn't agree with the second one.

Off the bench certainly. And I'm a big big fan of this guy as I've mentioned in other threads. I think to compare him to Altidore like others are doing is short sighted and I'm guessing coming from people who have seen him play for no more than a single 90 min game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think the statistic still holds that we haven't beaten a team ranked above us in a competitive game since the victory over the Dutch in 2001, nearly 15 years ago.

I'd love to be positive but our track record of getting 3 points in a big pressure game is not good. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say if we were to win it would be one of the biggest results for an Irish team this century.

I'm hoping for the best but I'm bracing myself for the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Got last minute tickets to this, hopefully we nick a win. I'd like to see:

Forde
    Coleman O'Shea Clark Wilson
    McGeady Meyler McCarthy Brady
    Walters
    Keane

Brady is worth his place for his set pieces alone, also he is less of a headless chicken than James McClean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Tbh im not very confident of a win . I do think we need all 3 points aswel to have any hope of 2nd place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If we don't beat Poland on Sunday then I'd imagine the best we can hope for is a play-off spot. I agree with Mr. Nice Guy that a win here would be one of the biggest results we've achieved in a long time, this game really could go either way, after getting 7 points from the first 3 games I was confident that this team could do well, but the Scotland game has really got me worried, that was not a match we should have lost and if we play like we did that night we can forget about getting a result.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement