Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 FaceTime camera shifting

• 22-03-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Has anyone with an IP6 experienced this issue
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXH3BjacAuw

It looks like the grey spacer under the FaceTime camera shifts, causing a crescent shape. So while the camera isn't really moving or out of alignment, it's the spacer underneath which is blocking the lense. It's been around a while and the consensus on the apple forums and various other iPhone forums is it doesn't effect image quality, though some have reported it introduces glare eventually depending on how far it shifts over.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone with an iPhone 6 space grey has this problem as it generally seems to effect that version ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have it on my one as well but no effect on image quality.
    I think earlier reports on the original iPhone 6 thread people was getting Apple to replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks. A friend is upgrading to an IP6 and was wondering if the issue only affects space grey which seems to be the case. I have no seen it on any of the silver ones. He will probably get the silver one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, happened to me in December and Apple replaced the screen and shifted the spacer back free of charge. Three months later the same thing has happened, so they're going to replace the screen and move the spacer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Interesting Zcott. And was yours space grey also ?
    From reading the forums on apple, macrumours, imore etc.., it seems the issue returns even after a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, it's a grey one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

I bought mine second hand and have just noticed this now when browsing through. It doesn't affect the photos etc at all, but if I was to get a new phone for free then I might as well change it! It's locked to Vodafone and I don't have the receipt, do you think Apple would replace it for me anyway if I wasn't the original owner? IF they can then great, if not, then I'll survive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They might if it still has warranty on it.

guil wrote: »
    They might if it still has warranty on it.

Yeah, it's 6 months old. Would I have to return it to Apple themselves or a Vodafone store? Might chance my arm

Rang up CompuB Grafton St and they said bring it in! Told them it was second hand and I've no proof of purchase but they said they can check by Serial number or IMEI if anythings been done before and it's still covered! I'll let you's know how it goes. Going in during the week when I get a chance.

Just a quick update on this, went into iConnect on Henry street today, they verified the warranty and took it no problem! Said around 7 working days and they'll get back to me, think they just replace the screen, not sure. I was happy with the phone either way but if it can be repaired then why not!

Anyone else get sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

I had this issue with my space grey iPhone 6. It was just cosmetic and wasn't that bothered about it, however happened to visit Apple Store in Belfast last month and said it to them and they replaced it with a new iPone6 at no cost there and then. Was very pleased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

On my third 6plus because of it. This one has be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

Armonline wrote: »
    I had this issue with my space grey iPhone 6. It was just cosmetic and wasn't that bothered about it, however happened to visit Apple Store in Belfast last month and said it to them and they replaced it with a new iPone6 at no cost there and then. Was very pleased

Was your phone still under the 12-month warranty? I was in the Apple Store last month and they said they'd have to charge me £79 because the phone was more than a year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

iniall wrote: »
    Was your phone still under the 12-month warranty? I was in the Apple Store last month and they said they'd have to charge me £79 because the phone was more than a year old.

Didn't think so as was bought around the time the iPhone 6 was launched, but the said that they would replace it for no charge. Was bought in same store so may have been a factor.

Maybe I should've brought it to an actual Apple store instead of a reseller, although I doubt it makes that much of a difference?

I can see them replacing just the screen and it'll be back the same a week later, or else some other problem will happen and i'll regret having it done :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

Armonline wrote: »
    Didn't think so as was bought around the time the iPhone 6 was launched, but the said that they would replace it for no charge. Was bought in same store so may have been a factor.

That might explain it all right. Although I do think these things can also depend on who you get to talk to on the day. Guess it wasn't my lucky day!

Since I noticed it, I see the crescent every time I look at the phone, so I suppose I'll have to do something about it. I might try Compu B, but I don't see how I can do without the phone for a week, if that's how long they take. Apple were offering to do it in an hour...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I recently got my 6+ fixed for this reason but have Apple care on it. They sent a replacement and as far as I can tell I keep that. I can already see it start to shift though which is very annoying, although does mean I'll get it replaced before the 2 years care are up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

CompuB in Galway replaced mine in 48 hours for me. Apparently a 24-hour turnaround is possible, but I left mine in too late on the day for a next-day service.

No sign of it recurring on the new handset (got it replaced about 3 months ago at this stage). Replacement handset is covered by 90 day warranty, even if this goes over the original 12 month warranty of the original handset.

CompuB in Galway replaced mine in 48 hours for me. Apparently a 24-hour turnaround is possible, but I left mine in too late on the day for a next-day service.

No sign of it recurring on the new handset (got it replaced about 3 months ago at this stage). Replacement handset is covered by 90 day warranty, even if this goes over the original 12 month warranty of the original handset.

One week now for me,they said up to 7 working days. No call yet. No rush!! :pac:

Got the call, Apple have replaced it with a new phone, sound!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement