Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reputable places to get Puppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

MrWalsh wrote: »
    But there are far far more horror stories from the DD side of the fence than from the legitimate breeder side of the fence.

The risk of ending up with a puppy farmed dog and thus contributing to the industry is still the biggest issue.

So what if someone gets a dog from Done Deal that doesnt have health issues - the fact is that they have supported a site that facilitates the sale of puppy farmed and back yard bred dogs. As long as people support this method of getting a dog then these practices find it easier to continue.

I agree totally with your points but perhaps it's time that legitimate breeders registered with breed clubs lowered their prices a bit. As I've said, I can't see how someone with 7-8 Labrador pups that is charging €600 a pup is not making a profit.

I'm sorry to be raising the point again but for me overpricing is the issue driving people to DD. The DD market is mainly there because some people want a purebred pup but cannot afford €600 or more for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I hope this isn't out of place for me to say, but it's the best analogy for DoneDeal puppy buying I could come up with.

If you smoke cigarettes and don't get cancer, does that mean smoking does not cause cancer, or does it mean you were lucky to have avoided it? Will someone see you smoking and be influenced, and decide to take it up as well? Will they end up getting cancer even though you didn't?

Lemlin wrote: »
    I agree totally with your points but perhaps it's time that legitimate breeders registered with breed clubs lowered their prices a bit. As I've said, I can't see how someone with 7-8 Labrador pups that is charging €600 a pup is not making a profit.

I'm sorry to be raising the point again but for me overpricing is the issue driving people to DD. The DD market is mainly there because some people want a purebred pup but cannot afford €600 or more for one.

And how exactly do you suggest someone who cannot afford €600 for the pup pays for the health expenses of a dog? We were given Opie for free as we volunteered for a rescue and we were put in touch. His neutering, microchipping and vaccinations came to €120 - and that is all bog-standard expenses. We weren't entitled to any reprieve, despite both of us being unemployed. If we "couldn't afford" €600 to buy Opie as, say, a purebred, how could we hope to afford to pay for treatment for a broken leg, removal of a blockage, chemotherapy, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I hope this isn't out of place for me to say, but it's the best analogy for DoneDeal puppy buying I could come up with.

If you smoke cigarettes and don't get cancer, does that mean smoking does not cause cancer, or does it mean you were lucky to have avoided it? Will someone see you smoking and be influenced, and decide to take it up as well? Will they end up getting cancer even though you didn't?

Are you implying that every puppy sold on done deal is from questionable background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The DD market is mainly there because some people want a purebred pup but cannot afford €600 or more for one.

Perhaps people shouldnt buy what they cant afford?

223vmax wrote: »
    Are you implying that every puppy sold on done deal is from questionable background?

What I am saying is that just because one purchased dog appears healthy, does NOT mean that all of them are safe. Just because Joe's dog lived to 14 and died of old age, doesn't mean that Betty's pup from the same mother and father who were bred again because all the pups were sold last time doesn't end up with crippling hip dysplasia.

The fact is, people selling puppies on DoneDeal are all strangers, and you have to take them at their word and make your own mind up on what you believe. So yes, they are all from a questionable background. Unless you have irrefutable proof that what the seller tells you is true, you cannot guarantee that they not are lying to you in some way. The only question is, will that lie be at the expense of the dog's health and happiness?

What I am saying is that just because one purchased dog appears healthy, does NOT mean that all of them are safe. Just because Joe's dog lived to 14 and died of old age, doesn't mean that Betty's pup from the same mother and father who were bred again because all the pups were sold last time doesn't end up with crippling hip dysplasia.

The fact is, people selling puppies on DoneDeal are all strangers, and you have to take them at their word and make your own mind up on what you believe. So yes, they are all from a questionable background. Unless you have irrefutable proof that what the seller tells you is true, you cannot guarantee that they not are lying to you in some way. The only question is, will that lie be at the expense of the dog's health and happiness?

Right so some dogs on DD are perfectly fine to buy while some aren't. What's your point?

Right so some dogs on DD are perfectly fine to buy while some aren't. What's your point?

I already made my point. I take it you didn't read my previous posts on this thread then.

I already made my point. I take it you didn't read my previous posts on this thread then.

Yes I read the thread but some dogs on DD are fine to buy - agree?

That's my point. I already made that. I already said that some dogs are perfectly fine. But the problem is the general public probably do not know how to tell the difference. And, more often than not (with real-life experiences documented in this very forum), people ignore our advice on how to go about it and end up making a horrific mistake.

A woman once came on here after buying a dog that was riddled with fleas and worms and didn't realise it wasn't the sex she picked until she got it home. This is AFTER we advised her of many things, including NOT to meet someone at the side of the road, which she did anyway.

The problem with DoneDeal, just like the problem with overbreeding for profit, is people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Very few to be honest.

I happened to have a look on DD yesterday at the breed i own, Rottweilers.

There were 33 ads in total for Rotties and not one of those ad's mention Health tests :rolleyes:

So, there would not be one dog or puppy that would be suitable to buy by looking at those ads, and that is only 1 breed that is advertised.

That's my point. I already made that. I already said that some dogs are perfectly fine. But the problem is the general public probably do not know how to tell the difference. And, more often than not (with real-life experiences documented in this very forum), people ignore our advice on how to go about it and end up making a horrific mistake.

A woman once came on here after buying a dog that was riddled with fleas and worms and didn't realise it wasn't the sex she picked until she got it home. This is AFTER we advised her of many things, including NOT to meet someone at the side of the road, which she did anyway.

The problem with DoneDeal, just like the problem with overbreeding for profit, is people.

Yes that is a trait of humans. People go against better judgment and do their own thing anyway even though they have a bad feeling about something.

There is no way of discerning which few dogs may or may not be ok among the hundreds and hundreds of ads for dogs that may not be.

But its irrelevant if 1 dog or 2 dogs or 100 dogs are fine on DD - the fact remains that it is a site that facilitates the sale of puppy farmed and back yard bred dogs and as long as people support this method of getting a dog then these practices find it easier to continue.

andreac wrote: »
    Very few to be honest.

I happened to have a look on DD yesterday at the breed i own, Rottweilers.

There were 33 ads in total for Rotties and not one of those ad's mention Health tests :rolleyes:

So, there would not be one dog or puppy that would be suitable to buy by looking at those ads, and that is only 1 breed that is advertised.

Very few people are prepared to buy a health certified IKC reg dog for huge money, but they are prepared to buy a non health certified, IKC registered dog for €250-€350. That's general demand and supply and not DD fault. It is what it is. If you're in the market for a health certified IKC reg dog for big money, you're not going to buy it off DD.

Very few people are prepared to buy a health certified IKC reg dog for huge money, but they are prepared to buy a non health certified, IKC registered dog for €250-€350. That's general demand and supply and not DD fault. It is what it is.

I think you are missing my point?

My point being, there were 33 ads for Rotties yesterday, none of which spoke of health tests, so it would be my opinion that DD is not a good place to go and source a pedigree pup, the whole point of this thread?

Title of this thread is: Reputable places to buy a pup. Of which my opinion is DD is not a reputable place, hence my findings for a breed that i own.

Perhaps people shouldnt buy what they cant afford?

That's the problem though - they are going to DD to buy their dog because they can't afford it. As I've said, I fail to see how some breeders can claim they aren't making a profit from the pups they are selling.

Lower the price and it will help mend the issue. High prices are only fuelling the DD market.

That's the problem though - they are going to DD to buy their dog because they can't afford it. As I've said, I fail to see how some breeders can claim they aren't making a profit from the pups they are selling.

Lower the price and it will help mend the issue. High prices are only fuelling the DD market.

No they arent, back yard breeders are fueling the market with cheap, badly bred pups.

If you cant afford 600 or whatever now, then save for longer and wait until you do have the money, its not rocket science :rolleyes:

I waited 28 years to get my Rottweiler, until i was in a position to buy a well bred one and one that i could afford.
    So whats the issue waiting an extra few months and putting money aside until you can afford one? Its not 1000's you need, only an extra couple of hundred.

I think you are missing my point?

My point being, there were 33 ads for Rotties yesterday, none of which spoke of health tests, so it would be my opinion that DD is not a good place to go and source a pedigree pup, the whole point of this thread?

Title of this thread is: Reputable places to buy a pup. Of which my opinion is DD is not a reputable place, hence my findings for a breed that i own.

How can you expect DD sellers to have health cert for dogs for the prices they're asking? You can buy an IKC reg pup of DD for approx €300. You can buy a health certified IKC pup from top dogs for €600 and above. Not everyone has €600 to spend on a pup or is willing to spend €600 on a pup. Is your opinion that they shouldn't have the right to buy the €300 pup?

How can you expect DD sellers to have health cert for dogs for the prices they're asking? You can buy an IKC reg pup of DD for approx €300. You can buy a health certified IKC pup from top dogs for €600 and above. Not everyone has €600 to spend on a pup. Is your opinion that they shouldn't have the right to buy the €300 pup?

Yes, that is my opinion.

• Advertisement

And how exactly do you suggest someone who cannot afford €600 for the pup pays for the health expenses of a dog? We were given Opie for free as we volunteered for a rescue and we were put in touch. His neutering, microchipping and vaccinations came to €120 - and that is all bog-standard expenses. We weren't entitled to any reprieve, despite both of us being unemployed. If we "couldn't afford" €600 to buy Opie as, say, a purebred, how could we hope to afford to pay for treatment for a broken leg, removal of a blockage, chemotherapy, etc.

Add €120 to €300 and you are still a long way from €600. Add it to the €600 you have already paid for the pup and you are at €720. Regarding the vet costs, there are payment plans available with most vets. You are also talking about extreme injuries. Have you any stats for what percentage of dogs suffer broken legs, chemotherapy? I would imagine it’s the minority. A pup I sold previously, as I've said on here, suffered a shattered shoulder from an unfortunate car accident. The entire vetinary bills for amputating the leg came to €200, that included x-rays and the surgery and check up after, plus keeping the dog overnight. That is still nowhere near €600.

High prices are only fuelling the DD market.

No they are not. Their business model works - do you hear of many legitimate breeders complaining that they are left with expensive pups they cant sell?

Its the puppy farmers and BYBs who are fuelling the DD market and it is DD who are facilitating their business model.

Yes, that is my opinion.

Why not when you can get a perfectly good IKC registered dog for that money?

How can you expect DD sellers to have health cert for dogs for the prices they're asking? You can buy an IKC reg pup of DD for approx €300. You can buy a health certified IKC pup from top dogs for €600 and above. Not everyone has €600 to spend on a pup or is willing to spend €600 on a pup. Is your opinion that they shouldn't have the right to buy the €300 pup?

No, its my opinion that these breeders shouldn't be breeding unless the parents are health tested. They shouldn't be breeding pups in the first place, let alone selling them.

People can buy what they want, but again, the whole point of this thread is where to buy a pup thats reputable, and im sorry, but DD is far from that.

It is our opinion that if they are not health certified, you could be out WAAAAAAY more than an extra €300 on vet bills. If you cant afford a pup that's been properly bred, with extensive genetic ancestry available and a line of breeders that have been doing their utmost to EXCLUDE genetic illnesses and deformities from their line, how are you going to afford the vet costs for a pup who's breeders did none of the above?

Because you are fuelling the industry of puppy farming and BYB. Have a read of the thread if you dont understand this.

Its the same reason people shouldnt buy black market goods - they do because they cant afford the goods, but they shouldnt because they dont know what they are getting. Cigarettes are a good example.

• Advertisement

It is our opinion that if they are not health certified, you could be out WAAAAAAY more than an extra €300 on vet bills. If you cant afford a pup that's been properly bred, with extensive genetic ancestry available and a line of breeders that have been doing their utmost to EXCLUDE genetic illnesses and deformities from their line, how are you going to afford the vet costs for a pup who's breeders did none of the above?

Same principle applies to second hand car market. So why don't we ban the sale of second hand cars?

IKC reg means nothing but a piece of paper showing their pedigree, nothing more.

Id rather a health tested dog that's not IKC reg than one that is IKC and not health tested.

Because you are fuelling the industry of puppy farming and BYB. Have a read of the thread if you dont understand this.

Its the same reason people shouldnt buy black market goods - they do because they cant afford the goods, but they shouldnt because they dont know what they are getting. Cigarettes are a good example.

Not everyone selling IKC reg pups on DD is a puppy farm, you make the assumption that they all are or BYB. You can get a perfectly good IKC reg pup on DD.

No they arent, back yard breeders are fueling the market with cheap, badly bred pups.

If you cant afford 600 or whatever now, then save for longer and wait until you do have the money, its not rocket science :rolleyes:

I waited 28 years to get my Rottweiler, until i was in a position to buy a well bred one and one that i could afford.
    So whats the issue waiting an extra few months and putting money aside until you can afford one? Its not 1000's you need, only an extra couple of hundred.

But the question remains - why is the market there? I imagine 90% of owners would love to buy a pup from the respective breeder's club who should ensure that both parents are health tested. They resort to DD because they can't afford that. So why can't the breed clubs come together and agree to look at prices? To try and make dogs that are properly bred more affordable for people? As I've said, I honestly can't see how it can be claimed that the cost of a litter of pups runs near some of the prices quoted, even with the best of care. I've seen extreme scenarios given on here before about emergency vet bills but they still didn't come near the price a litter of pups can obtain.

To be honest, most dogs are at least €300 cheaper on Donedeal so its often more than "only an extra couple of hundred". As others have pointed out, people will then have care and maintenance of the dog on top of same.

I'm a great believer in dogs for children. I'm fortunate enough that we have a large area and 3 dogs for my children to play with. I don't think any family willing to give a dog the care and attention it wants and needs should be denied a dog.

I'm a great believer in dogs for children. I'm fortunate enough that we have a large area and 3 dogs for my children to play with. I don't think any family willing to give a dog the care and attention it wants and needs should be denied a dog.

So why cant they get a dog from a rescue?

• Advertisement

Not everyone selling IKC reg pups on DD is a puppy farm, you make the assumption that they all are or BYB. You can get a perfectly good IKC reg pup on DD.

No, but I refer you back to my earlier posts. The industry is being facilitated by people buying them cheap on DD.

Not every black market cigarette is a counterfeit, but you have no way of telling which ones are and which ones arent.

But the question remains - why is the market there? I imagine 90% of owners would love to buy a pup from the respective breeder's club who should ensure that both parents are health tested. They resort to DD because they can't afford that. So why can't the breed clubs come together and agree to look at prices? To try and make dogs that are properly bred more affordable for people? As I've said, I honestly can't see how it can be claimed that the cost of a litter of pups runs near some of the prices quoted, even with the best of care. I've seen extreme scenarios given on here before about emergency vet bills but they still didn't come near the price a litter of pups can obtain.

To be honest, most dogs are at least €300 cheaper on Donedeal so its often more than "only an extra couple of hundred". As others have pointed out, people will then have care and maintenance of the dog on top of same.

Then there is the rescue option, plenty of pups that way too if people cant afford a pedigree dog.

Not every black market cigarette is a counterfeit, but you have no way of telling which ones are and which ones arent.

And that s the punt at the money they're being sold at.....

So why cant they get a dog from a rescue?

I already explained a story above where a friend tried for over 12 months to get a suitable dog from a rescue.

Some people also want a pup that they can socialise with their children from a young age.
    Then there is the rescue option, plenty of pups that way too if people cant afford a pedigree dog.

Some people want a purebred dog so that they can be sure of temperament etc. A suitable pup may not always be available also e.g. my friend who wanted a Pug-type.

No they are not. Their business model works - do you hear of many legitimate breeders complaining that they are left with expensive pups they cant sell?

Its the puppy farmers and BYBs who are fuelling the DD market and it is DD who are facilitating their business model.

But why charge the high price if they aren't trying to make a profit? Why not make it more accessible for people to buy a pure breed, fully health checked pup rather than fuelling the DD market by driving people to it?

You still haven't made any attempt to answer my query. Why couldn't prices be lowered to make pups more affordable?

Regarding your question about legitimate breeders, some breeders are obviously left with dogs because there are some from breed clubs selling on Donedeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Same principle applies to second hand car market. So why don't we ban the sale of second hand cars?

People who know nothing about the motor trade who buy second hand cars on the likes of DD will tend to get a mechanic to look over the car to make sure they're not being ripped off with a clocked or damage repaired car. It's something that is ingrained into people when making such a purchase, if they don't know the warning signs of what to look out for they get an expert to do it for them.

Not a chance in hell that the same principle applies to the people who go to buy a pup of DD, at best they come here and are warned of what to look out for, but they don't get a person that has experience with either the breed or even dogs in general to check out the purchase, which people tend to forget, is for a living creature that experiences pain and suffering if badly bred or genetically predisposed to certain illnesses. For a purchase that is meant to be for the lifetime of the pet, ie anything from 12-15 years if they're lucky, people are happy to purchase blind and scrimp on a few hundred quid because they don't do the research.

For the posters that say that there are reputable breeders using DD, it really is subjective. You may think they're reputable, but the fact that they use the same website that facilitates the pain and suffering of other dogs just shows that they really aren't. If they had any kind of reputation they wouldn't have pups or dogs left from a litter, and even if they kept one or two to see which showed potential, they should have enough contacts through the show or field trial circles that they would be receiving regular phone calls regarding pups for purchase. ie if you have a good reputation - you don't need to advertise, your phone should be ringing regardless.

But why charge the high price if they aren't trying to make a profit? Why not make it more accessible for people to buy a pure breed, fully health checked pup rather than fuelling the DD market by driving people to it?

You still haven't made any attempt to answer my query. Why couldn't prices be lowered to make pups more affordable?

Regarding your question about legitimate breeders, some breeders are obviously left with dogs because there are some from breed clubs selling on Donedeal.

Totally agree. How can you justify a price of >€400 for a vet checked/scored IKC reg dog. Surely breeders asking for top money are profiteering.

Right, say for example you charge the same as the back yard breeder 10 miles up the road. You meet with the prospective buyers and they want the pup for Christmas. But it's something that you don't agree with as it's not beneficial for the pup, but the byb up the road has no such qualms letting a pup go because he doesn't care. Who does the customer buy from?

ie if you vet your customers because you care for your stock and they aren't necessarily what you would consider to be responsible owners (maybe they live in the country and want to put an ecollar on the dog and they're surrounded by sheep) but the byb doesn't vet them he just wants to shift his stock for profit - the customer is still going to buy from the byb because he can, or at least can do it without the interview or the wait.

People who know nothing about the motor trade who buy second hand cars on the likes of DD will tend to get a mechanic to look over the car to make sure they're not being ripped off with a clocked or damage repaired car.

No they don't tend to as the majority don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Quite often you'll buy 'registered' pup for E300 but 'the forms haven't been sent from the KC yet, so we'll post them on to you when they are, ok?' Then the phone number mysteriously stops working. See in on here all the time.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Quite often you'll buy 'registered' pup for E300 but 'the forms haven't been sent from the KC yet, so we'll post them on to you when they are, ok?' Then the phone number mysteriously stops working. See in on here all the time.

These are examples of when things go bad. Equally things can go well. Picking of examples of when things go wrong doesn't add to the argument. Well I knew a man that .......blah blah blah.....

No they don't tend to as the majority don't.

Really? That's your opinion, what do you know about the motor trade? Are you involved in it at all? You might not want to pay a mechanic to look at a second hand car but plenty of people do, they either get a professional service like the AA or ask a friend or family member.

You never did reply when you were asked if you bred your bitch when she was 7 years of age either by the way. Any chance of an answer?

Really? That's your opinion, what do you know about the motor trade? Are you involved in it at all? You might not want to pay a mechanic to look at a second hand car but plenty of people do, they either get a professional service like the AA or ask a friend or family member.

You never did reply when you were asked if you bred your bitch when she was 7 years of age either by the way. Any chance of an answer?

Yes I did. No problems and nothing wrong with doing that as the bitch was very healthy. And before you jump in getting high and mighty I'm not seeking your opinion on it neither...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I haven't read most fo the thread as most of it is the usual anger stuff which in most cases is no help to anyone.

To the OP.

Firstly decide what breed of dog you would like and ask what the dog is for, what care can be given, will it be left on its own during the day, what size of play area is available, what age group is in the family, si dog hair an issue.

Example, if there are young children and dog won't be on its own and it will very much be a pet, then a bichon or maltese or a cross of those would be perfect.

If its to provide security and could be on its own, then a large breed such as german sheppard is where you would look.

Once that's decided, I would check some of the rescues as many "puppy Christmas Presents" get abandoned over the next couple of months.

Also, despite what some may say, done deal is another option, but like anything on done deal, be sure of who you are buyign it from. Common sense is really all that's needed.

Another alternative is to check if there is a facebook group for the breed / cross breed you are looking at - if so, join it and see if anyone has one that needs a new home.

On my dog - we got it off done deal - person met us in a pub carpark, but without the pup. He wanted to vet us! and if he didn't like us, he was going to tell us the pup was sold. - He still sends an odd email asking how things are! (she has a wardrobe, her own bed, an acre of garden to play in and gets brought to work everyday and enjoys fresh chicken and baby food as a princess deserves!! :) )

Yes I did. No problems and nothing wrong with doing that.

I personally think there is. My bitch is seven and neutered anyway. But I think that anything over even 5 or even 6 is too old, regardless of what the IKC/KC state is an acceptable age.

And once again avoiding answers, what about your involvement in the motor trade? You can't just make a statement and expect it to be believable if you've no experience within the particular trade bar buying a few second hands yourself! You're fairly good at giving your own opinion yet don't want to hear anything that goes against yours! :rolleyes:

I personally think there is. My bitch is seven and neutered anyway. But I think that anything over even 5 or even 6 is too old, regardless of what the IKC/KC state is an acceptable age.

And once again avoiding answers, what about your involvement in the motor trade? You can't just make a statement and expect it to be believable if you've no experience within the particular trade bar buying a few second hands yourself! You're fairly good at giving your own opinion yet don't want to hear anything that goes against yours! :rolleyes:

Yes was involved in the motor trade for a while. Same principles applies "buyer beware". You wouldn't believe the amount of people that buy a car without getting it independently checked out.

P.S I'd consider each animal individually rather than strictly obeying guidelines. Guidelines are exactly that - guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

OP - any idea for what kind of pup you are looking for (breed - wise)?

Yes was involved in the motor trade for a while. Same principles applies "buyer beware". You wouldn't believe the amount of people that buy a car without getting it independently checked out.

A car is not a life though and has not been produced by keeping its mother in horrific conditions.

A car is not a life though and has not been produced by keeping its mother in horrific conditions.

Sir, we were talking in the context of financial implications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Its simple really.

Pay the extra money to get the dog from a reputable breeder - lower risk.
    Pay less to get the dog from DD - higher risk.

As mentioned in OP - buyer beware. I bought a GR from donedeal. I looked at 4 dogs (more specifically their surroundings and parents) before I chose one.

3 years later I have the happiest, healthiest and safest dog I could ever have hoped for.

Advertisement