Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2016 Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mccloskc

Do you guys think that a 59 will be safe for Dublin. I've also heard from an inside source that rcsi are making their classes bigger so this might help lower the scores. I sat gamsat 5 times are scored 53 three times in a row. It's a very peculiar exam and suits some than others. I knew medicine is all I wanted to do. For those who want it just keep sitting. The questions repeat themselves. As an exercise after each exam write down all the questions you can remember . This was key to my score. Even if it did take this long. If I can do it anyone can. And I mean that. Hard grit and determination is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cocoche11

Yup I agree Emma. Spent literally hundreds of hours with organic chemistry and then they pretty much remove it from the exam. I can see them giggling at us in their gamsat lair. I rang UL today to get an idea of demand, but they had no info at all, or else they do, and stood up valiantly to my mild interrogation. @ Mccloskc that is fantastic. I like stories like that. Well done. I can't see both the Dublin Uni's increasing this year so I would imagine that you can confidently call yourself a med student. nice one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey Guys trying to post the previous years curve but I can't attach images if I have less than 25 posts im on 23 so excuse the random unnecessary posts that follow haha

andddd 25 haha

Hey Hopefully this helps! It seems to be very similar to this years curve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 hobes

Cheers lawlesp4,

I'm on 55 not coming from a science background so it looks like that's 55% for both 2015, and 2016.

I'm looking to get Cork so I think I might have missed it by a point if it stays the same! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Galwaygirl2016

Hi
    This has been my 3rd time sitting the Gamsat and I achieved a score of 57 in the exam . I'm thinking my first choice would be Limerick. Do ye think I would be safe enough getting in with this score? I'm just worried points will rise since the demand for UL has risen this year. Last year I got 53 but points went up :/

Hi
    This has been my 3rd time sitting the Gamsat and I achieved a score of 57 in the exam . I'm thinking my first choice would be Limerick. Do ye think I would be safe enough getting in with this score? I'm just worried points will rise since the demand for UL has risen this year. Last year I got 53 but points went up :/

Ye I'd be very confident. Looking at the trends over the years the unis only move up and down by one point except one year when rcsi moved from 56-58.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EmmaD1

The percentile curves look almost identical which is disappointing as no indication from that then that the points will go down. All depends now on how many applied this year compared to last year. RCSI increasing the number they take in (assuming we're talking about more EU applicants here rather than non-EU) if true would help. Either way no real way of knowing until the offers come out. If I had the same or a higher score than last years cut-off's, I'd be feeling pretty confident you'll get your choice. For the likes of hobes and myself who need the points to go down, we just need to hope and pray the number of applicants that applied this year is less than last year and the points go back to 2014 levels (which I guess is also based on the assumption that the percentile curve in 2014 is similar to this year and last!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Freya01

Hi,

Do you think the points for UCC will drop? and does anyone know of people who have gotten into UCC on less than 55?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Corn2107

UCC looks like it has been 56 for the last number of years. I'd be doubtful if it would drop below 55 :(

I am hoping to get into UL with 54 - I really hope it drops to 53. Because even with a 54 you are not guaranteed to get in.

I find it hard to guess looking at the curve - does anyone think there is a chance of it dropping to 53 for 2016 entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Freya01

Did the results for the Gamsat increase compared to last year?

Hey, I've done the exam in 2014 too so I'm still able to view the curve if anyone is interested in comparing the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greenflavour

I am also sitting on 54 with the hopes of getting into UL this year. I am hoping that BOI's prospective granting of loans to UK applicants is not going to destroy my chances of getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

I know I'm repeating myself.
    But this helped me last year a good bit...

So if you have any questions about UCD you can message me or feel free to join the Facebook group

UCD Graduate Medicine Class of 2020

we'll be happy to answer your questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

steph0712 wrote: »
    I know I'm repeating myself.
    But this helped me last year a good bit...

So if you have any questions about UCD you can message me or feel free to join the Facebook group

UCD Graduate Medicine Class of 2020

we'll be happy to answer your questions :)

hey just wondering what tips you personally found good to work with in preparing for the GAMSAT. I'm hoping to do it in September in the UK. I've seen Des O Neill's name crop up a fair bit, have you had any experience with his notes or in fact, how to obtain them? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lahtac1

Hi

Actually created an account just to sell something and came across this randomly. Was actually on here for something completely different and saw your post so I said I might as well reply to alleviate your fear. I'm in third in UL GEMS. I obviously have no authority to tell you you're going to get in with that score but it one hundred percent got people in last year.

All the best and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

Hey, I only saw your message now.

I personally came from a science background. But didn't have that much useful science for GAMSAT or the course at all. Had mainly leaving cert Chemistry.
    The only thing I used to study were the ACER exam questions you can get online. These helped me to figure ouch which questions are easy and do them first. They sometimes give you the answer or at least narrow it down to a 50:50 chance.
    Loads of people used the GOLD standard and found it helpful.
    However I don't have any experience with those materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 markitzero

Hi Lahtac,

I'm having my annual panic about applying for medicine. I have put Limerick down as first choice. I have savings but I'll need to work part time but would be looking to make the bulk of my living expenses over the summer. How many weeks off do you get in second and third year in Limerick? I understand it is a June and July and some of August in first year but I can't make sense of the academic calendar for the subsequent years, can you shed any light?!

markitzero wrote: »
    Hi Lahtac,

I'm having my annual panic about applying for medicine. I have put Limerick down as first choice. I have savings but I'll need to work part time but would be looking to make the bulk of my living expenses over the summer. How many weeks off do you get in second and third year in Limerick? I understand it is a June and July and some of August in first year but I can't make sense of the academic calendar for the subsequent years, can you shed any light?!

Yeah, no worries. That's correct about first and second year. In third and fourth year you start of the 14th of August in placement.

There's time set aside for electives and whatnot but just ignore that. You start on the 14th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 markitzero

Cool cheers, when do you finish up for the summer? Is it mid June you submit papers/sit exams?

markitzero wrote: »
    Cool cheers, when do you finish up for the summer? Is it mid June you submit papers/sit exams?

First year I believe it's the second week in June. Second year is the first week in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

So, just a few more days to wait... Who's hanging out for Thursday morning and how are you all feeling? I was doing fine until I finished work for the long weekend and now my mind won't stop racing through every single possible outcome :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hyoid

So, just a few more days to wait... Who's hanging out for Thursday morning and how are you all feeling? I was doing fine until I finished work for the long weekend and now my mind won't stop racing through every single possible outcome :P

Haha same here. It should be fine but it's hard not to get paranoid about the points possibly jumping way higher isn't it? Can't wait till the offers are out to know for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Megan01

Hi guys, I'm in the same boat. So so nervous about Thursday, for fear that the points will go up higher than ever before. I got 58 and I'm hoping for UL, so hopefully I'll get it but there's still such a chance that the points will go up that bit too much, what do ye guys think?

I'm also on 58 - hoping for RCSI but will very happily go wherever will have me! Looking at trends for the last few years, I think we'd be very unfortunate to see the points change too much from last year, but I suppose anything can happen - that's what's making me so nervous!

Apparently UL have increased the number of places again this year though so that should have a positive impact if true...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Megan01

Yeah I think you would be very very unfortunate for all of the colleges to go above 58, that would just be cruel! I've only applied to UL and UCC, so if I get either of those I'll be ecstatic. It's so tough having to wait so long, like first having to wait for the actual gamsat result and then the long wait before the CAO offers. That's good news about UL increasing class size, I hadn't heard that so fingers crossed that works in my favour😊 Best of luck to you!

It's been a very long couple of months alright! Very best of luck to you too - hope everyone here gets what they are hoping for :)

I know Rcsi have increased their class size from a guy currently in GEM. I'm on 59 and also have the seeds of doubt that the unthinkable will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 clarec96

Hey! Just saw your post on one of the gamsat threads:D

I was just wondering do you have any of the books/resources!
    Just started studying but am completely lost! :( anything would be really appreciated!

Advertisement