Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2016 Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

clarec96 wrote: »
    Hey! Just saw your post on one of the gamsat threads:D

I was just wondering do you have any of the books/resources!
    Just started studying but am completely lost! :( anything would be really appreciated!

Was this meant to be a direct message to someone? :)

A bunch of us here have a study group formed (will probably be starting up formally in September when people are free), which we are hoping might arrange meet ups in Dublin/swap tips and support etc, if you're interested in joining?

I have so many books to read I have no clue where I'll start haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pepesilvia

When talking about class size increases, what matters in relation to GAMSAT is whether the extra places are offered to EU or international students. Correct me if i'm wrong here but from what I can make out, the number of total EU places is around 250.

UL=100, UCD=77, RCSI=30, UCC=35
    total=242

The difficulty with trying to estimate the points this year is guessing how many CAO applicants there were. Based on observation/anecdotal evidence my upper and lower guesses would be 900 and 1500. If we split the difference and say 1200 people applied, the cutoff would be 79-80th percentile or based on this years curve, or a score of 59. This seems high, so perhaps I'm wrong about class size or more likely less people usually apply. If 900 applied the cut off would be 72nd percentile or a score of 57.

I sat the March exam in UCD and there were roughly 500+ people in the exam hall. Based on that I wouldn't estimate much lower than 900 applied to the cao this year.

This is all just speculation, don't take these figures as absolute fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Megan01

Hi pepesilvia. From the deductions you've made in your post, that would make this years points significantly higher than any year before. Have you drawn this conclusion because way more people sat the exam this year, or did the standard curve show a higher points this year compared to other years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pepesilvia

Hi Megan, the last thing I want to do is scaremonger the day before results. I do hope the points don't jump that much but they're just the results I got when I tried to estimate this years points. It depends more on number of applicants because the curve is steady enough year to year.
    If there are 250 places and 1200 applicants that would mean you need to be in the top 20-21st percentile.
    Again there's a large margin of error because the 1200 figure is really just a guess. 900 might be closer.

Hi pepesilva, yeah I see how you're getting that. I really really hope the total number of applicants is less than 1200 though. It's such an intense application process, with all the waiting involved, although I suppose it is an intense area to want to work in so you need to get used to it. I've only applied to UL and UCC (wouldn't be able to afford the accommodation in Dublin) and I think they tend to have slightly lower points than the other two Dublin colleges, so fingers crossed! Best of luck to you tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

We also need to consider people applying with UK GAMSAT results from this year and last year, people with GAMSAT Ireland results from last year, people who sat the exam this year for entry next year/as a practice run and also the fact that people may have an excellent GAMSAT score but didn't fulfil the other requirements e.g. 2.1 degree... So it's impossible to tell what's going to happen with the points from looking at one curve and considering how many sat the exam in March. All we can do now is wait and hope for the best!

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

Good luck to everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 markitzero

lahtac1 wrote: »
    markitzero wrote: »
    Hi Lahtac,

I'm having my annual panic about applying for medicine. I have put Limerick down as first choice. I have savings but I'll need to work part time but would be looking to make the bulk of my living expenses over the summer. How many weeks off do you get in second and third year in Limerick? I understand it is a June and July and some of August in first year but I can't make sense of the academic calendar for the subsequent years, can you shed any light?!

Yeah, no worries. That's correct about first and second year. In third and fourth year you start of the 14th of August in placement.

There's time set aside for electives and whatnot but just ignore that. You start on the 14th.
    Cheers thanks a million for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

la la la la la la…can't sleep…anyone any good at hacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mccloskc

Anyone know what time offers come out? What score everyone sitting on?

• Advertisement

Offers are out at 6am according to the CAO website. Im absolutely terrified. I've got 58 and hoping for UL, just really scared the points will go up that bit too much

Megan01 wrote: »
    Offers are out at 6am according to the CAO website. Im absolutely terrified. I've got 58 and hoping for UL, just really scared the points will go up that bit too much

I'm confident 58 is safe for ul... you based down that way?

I live in cork at the moment, did my undergrad in UCC, but my parents live in Limerick so hoping to move back I with them to save money on rent. How about yourself?

Megan01 wrote: »
    I live in cork at the moment, did my undergrad in UCC, but my parents live in Limerick so hoping to move back I with them to save money on rent

Deadly. Well I'm sure you're heading to UL anyway ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hyoid

Can't seem to sleep at the moment either. I'm on 61 and planning on UCC. I hope to see lots of happy posts here in about 6 hours!

I'm on 59 and hoping for rcsi. Gonna be tight but here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tatatata85

Change 2015 to 2016 in the last year CAO pdf and you'll see the points :)

Not too bad, +1 point in all Unis, guys! Hope it will help you to sleep better :)

tatatata85 wrote: »
    Not too bad, +1 point in all Unis, guys! Hope it will help you to sleep better :)

How did you do this?

Link?

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to work for me

It should work. Open it in browser, find number 5 in the link and replace it with 6, push enter.

It should work. Open it in browser, find number 5 in the link and replace it with 6, push enter.

Got it there. Thanks. So with a 59 does that mean I get rcsi?

I think so, yes! Congrats!!

I think so, yes! Congrats!!

Wow. I'm shocked. Thanks Tatatata. Very clever of you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hyoid

Change 2015 to 2016 in the last year CAO pdf and you'll see the points :)

Haha that was very crafty of you to think to do that! XD

Tried it out of a pure curiosity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Someone in CAO is not the brightest lamp in the street!! :P

Back up in 5.5 hours for the confirmation but it looks like I'm heading to Limerick!! Thanks tatatata - I might manage some sleep now :)

• Advertisement

Rcsi 59. Just about made it. Phewww

Advertisement