Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week holiday in Vancouver

Options
  • 22-03-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going to Vancouver for a week before the end of May and looking for some advice on where to stay and things to do etc while there.

I applied for the IEC last year and have been trying to save up to go over, before christmas I landed a very good job I never thought I would have gotten, getting great experience from it that will stand to me. I don't want to give up the job as a year from now I will have very good experience and I don't want to waste my visa either. Hence planning a trip over for a week before the visa expires so I have anopther 2yrs to come and go and possibly head there next year with some good experience (I don't want to not go and waste my visa all together).

I'll be going alone also, I've previously found different sites for tours and what not for the likes of Madrid or Berlin but I'm at a loss finding something similar for Vancouver. I ideally want to get a feel for the place, have a good time and want to leave there wanting to come back for a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

best bet might be to stay in a hostel and hopefully meet some like-minded travellers. There are a couple on Granville street, Samesun and Hi Hostel - they are across the street from each other.
    Granville street has plenty pubs, clubs so can get a bit noisy at night if that would bother you?

For tours in Vancouver, there are the hop on/hop off bus tours that take you to the different sites in the city. Theres also these guys who do trips further afield http://moosebus.travel/
    Obviously you wouldnt be able to do most of them but Whistler or Victoria may be doable. You'd be with a bunch of other travellers so you'd get to meet people too.

For things to around Vancouver, check out Stanley Park (Aquarium inside), English bay, Robson street for shopping, Granville Island, Kitsilano, Grouse mountain, Capilano suspension bridge (or Lynn Canyon suspension bridge which is free - ive never done the Capilano one so cannot say if the cost is worth it).

Advertisement