Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC M9 thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Flaccus wrote: »
    s-off ?

google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Gunmetal grey or Silver on gold ?

I like the silver on gold but not sure if the gold is too blingy.
    The grey looks too dark.

I wonder which looks better in the flesh ?
    Is there any difference to the finish between the 2 in terms of feel in your hand ?
    Would the grey hold up better to wear and tear, scratches I wonder ?

I am asking this now because three are making me a very decent offer to stay with them and upgrade. So the S6 is off the cards.

????

s-off allows you to flash different firmware, among other things. Some advantages of this on the M8 were fully converting to GPE, or flashing the Harman Kardon audio mod.

Basil3 wrote: »
    s-off allows you to flash different firmware, among other things. Some advantages of this on the M8 were fully converting to GPE, or flashing the Harman Kardon audio mod.

That sounds pretty cool.

I'm leaning to the M9 now. The price is right and the M9 in my opinion performed ok on the camera shootout on Cnet the other day.

The S6 was a contender, but the price, worried about that back glass, touchwiz and some of the bloatware I don't like :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

That sounds pretty cool.

I'm leaning to the M9 now. The price is right and the M9 in my opinion performed ok on the camera shootout on Cnet the other day.

The S6 was a contender, but the price, worried about that back glass, touchwiz and some of the bloatware I don't like :(

Just remember that you'll only get a GPE edition/conversion if they release one. Although you can go with something like Cyanogen mod. Any non sense ROM will have lower camera quality.

Gunmetal grey or Silver on gold ?

I like the silver on gold but not sure if the gold is too blingy.
    The grey looks too dark.

I wonder which looks better in the flesh ?
    Is there any difference to the finish between the 2 in terms of feel in your hand ?
    Would the grey hold up better to wear and tear, scratches I wonder ?

I am asking this now because three are making me a very decent offer to stay with them and upgrade. So the S6 is off the cards.

I played it safe and went Grey. It almost looks like it has a brownish hue in the light. I would have been happy with either though, the gold on the silver looks a lot nicer in person than in photos/videos.

I can't tell much difference between the two in the hand, M9 feels great though. I've heard some people say it feels like plastic, but don't get that impression.

I still find myself reaching to the top for the power button on the few occasions I use it. Will take a bit of getting used to having it on the side. More logical location though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Pre-ordered the M9 on Three with carphone warehouse, went to collect it on my break and Three can't sell the phone today, they f**ked up big time, none of their stores are able to sell the M9 today. Apparently they didn't upload the M9 to the database or something along those lines. Have to wait until tomorrow to get my hands on it!

They had it right in front of me too, so close to taking it and running!

I played it safe and went Grey. It almost looks like it has a brownish hue in the light. I would have been happy with either though, the gold on the silver looks a lot nicer in person than in photos/videos.

I can't tell much difference between the two in the hand, M9 feels great though. I've heard some people say it feels like plastic, but don't get that impression.

I still find myself reaching to the top for the power button on the few occasions I use it. Will take a bit of getting used to having it on the side. More logical location though.

Thanks. Am leaning towards the silver.
    Have you taken a couple of pics yet to see if the camera overexposes in daylight ? And does the video have that nasty thing where it keeps refocusing ?

They said the rear camera has saphire glass. None of the nasty plastic cover we got last year on the M8 which scratched up.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Am leaning towards the silver.
    Have you taken a couple of pics yet to see if the camera overexposes in daylight ? And does the video have that nasty thing where it keeps refocusing ?

Only had a very quick play with the cam, will do some more a bit later. It seems fine, but pretty sure the OTA I'm currently resisting improves it quite a bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Have a M9 waiting at home. Was delivered by Three today. Not many people got it from Three as they had a huge mess up online and in store. People who preordered on Day 1 of preorder launch were told its out of stock.

dan786 wrote: »
    Have a M9 waiting at home. Was delivered by Three today. Not many people got it from Three as they had a huge mess up online and in store. People who preordered on Day 1 of preorder launch were told its out of stock.

Does this mean if I order it now on line as an upgrade from Three they won't ship it tomorrow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I keep going back and forward on whether to go for one or not. Have an M7 and the Boomsound is a huge deal for me, would be loathe to give it up by going to another phone. I never really had many issues with the camera on the M7 to be honest and I'm surprised it's held in such low regard. If the M9's is an improvement on it, I think I'll be happy.

Does this mean if I order it now on line as an upgrade from Three they won't ship it tomorrow ?

Possibly. There were a few upset people on their FB page.

I see there are already some up for sale on Adverts for decent asking prices.

I keep going back and forward on whether to go for one or not. Have an M7 and the Boomsound is a huge deal for me, would be loathe to give it up by going to another phone. I never really had many issues with the camera on the M7 to be honest and I'm surprised it's held in such low regard. If the M9's is an improvement on it, I think I'll be happy.

The speakers are definitely noticeably quieter on the M9 than my M8, although still should good. I seem to remember the were complaints of the M8 being quieter than M7 when it came out, but it got louder with updates.

Have also heard the M9 sounds amazing through headphones, loud and clear. Will have a listen now.

Edit: Seriously loud from the headphones.

• Advertisement

The speakers are definitely noticeably quieter on the M9 than my M8, although still should good. I seem to remember the were complaints of the M8 being quieter than M7 when it came out, but it got louder with updates.

Have also heard the M9 sounds amazing through headphones, loud and clear. Will have a listen now.

Edit: Seriously loud from the headphones.

Am sold now on the M9 since it's loud from the headphones.
    I find my IP6 doesn't cut it at all.

Incidentally are the included headphones any good. I remember HTC touting earlier this year about how they would be audiophile quality. Am sure they are not but have to better than earpods.

Incidentally are the included headphones any good. I remember HTC touting earlier this year about how they would be audiophile quality. Am sure they are not but have to better than earpods.

Looks like they're the same bog-standard ones from the M7/M8.

They're the same as the ones that came with M8, which isn't a bad thing....when I got M7 I got the official beats earbuds, and I reckon the M8 ones are better.

In any case, most audiophiles have their own headphones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Delboy5

What Kind of charger comes with it? Is it a fast charger?

Delboy5 wrote: »
    What Kind of charger comes with it? Is it a fast charger?

No, standard 1.5A output. I think you have to purchase the fast charger separately, and there are also other compatible ones.

From what I've read, fast charging isn't good for the long term life of your battery, so I probably won't bother with it.

• Advertisement

Only had a very quick play with the cam, will do some more a bit later. It seems fine, but pretty sure the OTA I'm currently resisting improves it quite a bit :D

I have only installed OTA's off Sammobile for the Note 4.
    Is there a quick guide on how to do it for the M9 ?

I have only installed OTA's off Sammobile for the Note 4.
    Is there a quick guide on how to do it for the M9 ?

Notification on phone > download > install > done

Lol. I was thinking about the updates from Samsung that are not network specific which you can use Odin to flash :)

Is that camera lense on the back proper glass/sapphire ? Does it looks like the yoke won't get scratched up ?
    What about the phones finish. HTC bragged about it having a scratch resistant coating. I wonder. Obviously I don't want you to test it out.

Any sign of a free case this year like on the M8 ?

Lol. I was thinking about the updates from Samsung that are not network specific which you can use Odin to flash :)

Is that camera lense on the back proper glass/sapphire ? Does it looks like the yoke won't get scratched up ?
    What about the phones finish. HTC bragged about it having a scratch resistant coating. I wonder. Obviously I don't want you to test it out.

Any sign of a free case this year like on the M8 ?

Yeah, Samsung can be quite different with all that Odin stuff, haven't messed with it since the Note 2.

Back camera lens is Sapphire, they said it was in a lot of the marketing...so theoretically it won't scratch.

Not sure how to test it for anti scratch, but when i hold both the M8 and M9, the M8 feels colder/more metallic but also slippier, which I guess could be to do with the coating.

The actual overall finish is pretty amazing. I'm not one for inspecting every inch of a device, for fear of finding some minor imperfection that might bug me, but it really does look top notch, not like in previous years where you might find small gaps, or things slightly misaligned.

Yep, like lifting speaker grilles and loose rocker buttons on the M8. I read the speaker grilles this time round are metal.

Think I will give it a punt.

Update : just placed my order. went for silver/gold.

They said delivery within 2 days but does not apply to preorder or new items.
    So I guess it depends on supply/demand.

I wonder if I have a shot at having it by the weekend :)

Yep, like lifting speaker grilles and loose rocker buttons on the M8. I read the speaker grilles this time round are metal.

Think I will give it a punt.

Update : just placed my order. went for silver/gold.

They said delivery within 2 days but does not apply to preorder or new items.
    So I guess it depends on supply/demand.

I wonder if I have a shot at having it by the weekend :)

Bill Pay or Prepay?

Meteor saying they have it in stores now and will have it online tomorrow. Not sure of the prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just played with s6 and edge... I don't get it... Still lightweight cheap plastic but this time covered in glossy acrylic. Don't like the curved screen, it causes more problems than it solves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

How can the phone be €749 on HTC Ireland's site http://shop.emea.htc.com/ie/p_htc_store_product.aspx?i=274737

and only €629 on the Carphonewarehouse one? http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/htc-one-m9/238844/1.3

Davexirl wrote: »
    How can the phone be €749 on HTC Ireland's site http://shop.emea.htc.com/ie/p_htc_store_product.aspx?i=274737

and only €629 on the Carphonewarehouse one? http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/htc-one-m9/238844/1.3

The one from HTC is factory unlocked opposed to locked one from carphone. Factory Unlocked models are always priced way higher than locked.

• Advertisement

Meteor's pricing is mental. €249 on a two-year contract at €60 a month. Vodafone are selling the phone for €49 on a two-year €55 contract.

Meteor's pricing is mental. €249 on a two-year contract at €60. Vodafone are selling the phone for €49 on a two-year €55 contract.

Vodafone no doubt pushing for contracts. I paid an arm and a leg to buy device outright from them. Was told I was entitled to an upgrade, but said no thanks....not committing to another two years :D

dan786 wrote: »
    Bill Pay or Prepay?

Bill pay. I was due an upgrade since March. Went for the 55 euro plan. Got it for 117 euro.
    Had considered VF but Threes all you can eat (15gb fair usage) is hard to beat.
    Also, I don't pay for the phone till next bill. Which will be sometime next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

getting this soon enough just waiting on a bank statement so i get it on bill pay

i currently have an iphone 4s so this phone will be a big step up

Is the dot view 2 case out in any stores yet ?

I assume no freebie tpu case comes with the m9 (the m8 has one)

Is the dot view 2 case out in any stores yet ?

I assume no freebie tpu case comes with the m9 (the m8 has one)

Vodafone had no cases, and no, there isn't a free case this year (even if the quality of the one last year was shocking).

For now, one of my M8 silicon cases fits fine. Some things just don't line up properly, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Any early impressions on battery life?

Looking at the CNET camera shootout I honestly don't see much difference between the S6, M9 and IP6 apart from a little overexposing in M9 outdoor photos and deeper blue in sky pics on the IP6.

Testament1 wrote: »

Looking at the CNET camera shootout I honestly don't see much difference between the S6, M9 and IP6 apart from a little overexposing in M9 outdoor photos and deeper blue in sky pics on the IP6.

Mine was brutal yesterday, would have only got about 4-5 hours screen on time, and that's around the house on Wi-Fi. With the M8 last year, I could get 7+ hours in the same scenario. I didn't have a SIM in though, which may have affected it.

Took the OTA this morning. Will put my sim in when I'm home from work at lunchtime, and see how it goes.

Testament1 wrote: »

I agree about the camera. The results make it so either phone take decent pics. I am no expert. I take snaps.

Will be interesting to see users battery life findings.

Regarding cases, this time I want something slim and something which does not cover the design so I am considering the official htc clearish case or the spigen ultra hybrid crystal. Tired of otterboxes, uag's and their ilk. I think the dot view would annoy me.

This then
    http://ie.mobilefun.com/51761-official-htc-one-m9-clear-case-clear-onyx-black.htm

Or this
    http://ie.mobilefun.com/52418-spigen-ultra-hybrid-htc-one-m9-case-crystal-clear.htm

Once concern is how scratch resistant are the backs of these things

• Advertisement

Pretty scratch resistant... You shouldn't have much trouble over any other device...

HTC One M9 VS iPhone 6 Drop Test: http://youtu.be/i9Q4WGTS-88

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

After 6 flagship HTC devices in a row I won't be going for the M9. I'll look at the Sony Z4 and an outside bet the M9+ if it arrives over the next couple of months

1jcdub wrote: »
    After 6 flagship HTC devices in a row I won't be going for the M9. I'll look at the Sony Z4 and an outside bet the M9+ if it arrives over the next couple of months

Yeah, Sony are getting better and better. Unfortunately, I'm big into custom ROMs, modding and theming, which only leaves HTC and Sammy.

I'd be surprised if we get M9+, and even more surprised if it doesn't come with the inferior MediaTek processor, unless they hold off release until the end of the year.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Meteor's pricing is mental. €249 on a two-year contract at €60 a month. Vodafone are selling the phone for €49 on a two-year €55 contract.

Seems cheaper to just buy the phone outright. Vodaphone selling it for €99 on the €55 a month plan though.
    24 months X €55 + €99. ~€1400 over the 24 months.
    or my current plan (30 day sim only 4g unlimited+data on emobile):
    24 months X €24 + €629. ~€1200 over the 24 months, but no fixed contract.

Buying outright saves about €200.

If you're an eircom customer, best I can see is unlimted calls, texts and 5G of 4g for €24 a month for 6 months, then €39 thereafter. Phone costs €250. Works out a bit under €1100 over the 24 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

@Bluefoam

I'll be passing through the airport in Dubai next week - do you reckon I'd be able to pick one up there? And any idea of price? Thanks.

Price is 2749aed, which should work out as roughly €690. They should have them in the airport... Terminal 1 or 3 would be your best opportunity.

They have silver/gold and grey at the moment

Exchange rate isn't in your favor at the moment im afraid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

My Three bill is paid on the 24th of every month. If I ordered this from them today does anyone know if it would go on my April or May bill?

The bill for the 24th is usually printed on the 8th. So it would be Aprils bill.

Rang Three as their online tracking is pants. Sure the link they send doesn't even work.
    Order is being fulfilled and will arrive Thursday or Tuesday. Couriers won't deliver on Good Friday which I find strange as it's not a public holiday but yer one said they don't work holy week. lol.

By the way, they are taking pre-orders for 64gb edge but wanted 369euro on 55 euro a month plan. Way too expensive I think.

Got my M9 yesterday from Three. Rushing out door so just had time to insert sim tray and charge it.
    But in my haste I never took plastic off side and sim tray would not come out. Ended up bending the sim tool, and ever so slightly eroding the metal around the little hole near the tray making it slightly bigger. Eventaully copped on I had to take plastic off around side. Bone head move but its hardly noticeable damage. Still. Annoyed.

Anyway, think build is very good, screen is ok, not as vibrant as note 4 or z3. But its allright.
    So far just ran the updates. Took about 10-15 minutes tops. Will play with it later today.

Have ordered a tech21 case so waiting for that. might look for a cheap bumper case the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Bought an M9 today, on the three network. At the moment, I can't get a mobile data signal (the phone signal is fine). Had no problems with my previous handset (an M8). Currently on hold to the 3 customer care centre. Anyone else have this trouble?

blueser wrote: »
    Bought an M9 today, on the three network. At the moment, I can't get a mobile data signal (the phone signal is fine). Had no problems with my previous handset (an M8). Currently on hold to the 3 customer care centre. Anyone else have this trouble?

Have you checked the APN settings against the ones on your M8?

• Advertisement
Advertisement