Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC M9 thread

Comments

Bluefoam wrote: »
    How do I know if mine is a regular or quick charger...

Mine looks like the image below, but it is the exact same as the quick chargers I have seen... Confused...

345446.jpg

If it came with the device, it's standard. If you bought it on it's own for over €20 and it says Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 somewhere on it, then it's a quick charger :D

You can also read the output rating on the charger. Standard charger is something like 5V and 1500mAh. Rapid is 9V or 12V, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Basil3 wrote: »
    If it came with the device, it's standard. If you bought it on it's own for over €20 and it says Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 somewhere on it, then it's a quick charger :D

You can also read the output rating on the charger. Standard charger is something like 5V and 1500mAh. Rapid is 9V or 12V, I believe.

I would have thought they'd make the apperance different... to be able to tell them apart. It seems anyone with a quick charger will also have a regular one...

I would have thought they'd make the apperance different... to be able to tell them apart. It seems anyone with a quick charger will also have a regular one...

Which images have you seen? In the ones I've seen, it's shorter and fatter than the standard one. I've only seen images with US pins though. Something like this:

htc-15-watt-travel-charger-slide-01.png

In any case, I don't think a charger is something you will get mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carberry

Flaccus wrote: »
    I got the three version and unlocked it for a tenner. I was able to remove all three specific software except something called three mobile services which can be disabled. However facebook, twitter, polaris office et.. could not be uninstalled as I presume they are on the system partition, so I disabled them. The Three startup and shutdown screen are still there though :(

I think I asked this before but does the network you are running effect how quickly you get updates ?

Also, does anyone know what this App&Store service is and why does Google Play services consume so much battery when screen is off. I assume it's all the synching going on and disabling wif/data overnight would help.

I picked mine up last night from three. I was actually surprised at the lack of branding over the S4 I got from them a few years back. The only real way to get rid of it all is by flashing another rom onto it if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, buying the phone from three like we have will slow that update process down. Because three have their own firmware (which includes the three apps and branding) we are reliant on them pushing us updates. So when HTC releases it, three have to do their thing and then send it to us.

Previously this has been quite slow for me but have read that they are actually pretty quick at it these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

carberry wrote: »
    I picked mine up last night from three. I was actually surprised at the lack of branding over the S4 I got from them a few years back. The only real way to get rid of it all is by flashing another rom onto it if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, buying the phone from three like we have will slow that update process down. Because three have their own firmware (which includes the three apps and branding) we are reliant on them pushing us updates. So when HTC releases it, three have to do their thing and then send it to us.

Previously this has been quite slow for me but have read that they are actually pretty quick at it these days!

Ta. What happens if I stuck a meteor sim in (assuming a sim free phone). Would meteor then push the updates ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Flaccus wrote: »
    Ta. What happens if I stuck a meteor sim in (assuming a sim free phone). Would meteor then push the updates ?

No, it has nothing to do with the sim card, its down to the software on the phone i.e. meteor branded. Sim free phones come with manufacture software with updates pushed down by HTC for example, branded phones come with software tweaked by the network who then push down future updates.

For anyone who is interested, sunshine s-off was released last night, fully unlocking your device. The main benefit is that you can modify your firmware and Carrier ID, so you're no longer dependent on carrier updates.

https://twitter.com/TheRootNinja/status/589542780084465664

http://theroot.ninja/download.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thinking about buying this but unsure.....

Have the m8 more then a year great phone always been happy with it.

Is there much point in the upgrade to the m9 as I've seen a lot of talk of the m8 being better in the long run?

The s6 and lack of micro sd is putting me off but I don't wanna shell out big money on a slight upgrade!

For anyone who has went from m8 to m9 is it really worth it overall??

Thinking about buying this but unsure.....

Have the m8 more then a year great phone always been happy with it.

Is there much point in the upgrade to the m9 as I've seen a lot of talk of the m8 being better in the long run?

The s6 and lack of micro sd is putting me off but I don't wanna shell out big money on a slight upgrade!

For anyone who has went from m8 to m9 is it really worth it overall??

I'm not the best to comment, as I've had every HTC flagship for a long time.

Really, the answer is no. It feels very similar to the M8 in almost every way. In fact, I went for the gunmetal grey both times, and I now allow one of my kids to use the M8 to watch Netflix or play games, but he has to check with me every time whether he has the phone he's allowed to touch or not :D

That said, I normally sell my old phones. If your M8 is in good condition, you can sell it and get the M9 for around €300, then do the same again next year for the M10 (or whatever). If you hold on to the M8 for another year, and don't upgrade this time around, you will have to fork out maybe €450 after selling your M8. This means it's only really costing you an extra €150 to upgrade to a newer device for a year. This is how I justify these things to myself anyway!

If you're thinking of switching to a completely different make/device, then I guess that's an entirely different proposition.

Edit: Another thing to bear in mind is HTC are really good with software updates these days, and I think that the M8 is pretty well optimised, but the M9 will benefit a lot from future upgrades.

I'm not the best to comment, as I've had every HTC flagship for a long time.

Really, the answer is no. It feels very similar to the M8 in almost every way. In fact, I went for the gunmetal grey both times, and I now allow one of my kids to use the M8 to watch Netflix or play games, but he has to check with me every time whether he has the phone he's allowed to touch or not :D

That said, I normally sell my old phones. If your M8 is in good condition, you can sell it and get the M9 for around €300, then do the same again next year for the M10 (or whatever). If you hold on to the M8 for another year, and don't upgrade this time around, you will have to fork out maybe €450 after selling your M8. This means it's only really costing you an extra €150 to upgrade to a newer device for a year. This is how I justify these things to myself anyway!

If you're thinking of switching to a completely different make/device, then I guess that's an entirely different proposition.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was thinking of giving the m8 to my girlfriend she still has an s3 and my phone is in perfect condition as it's been safe under a case since day one.

I dunno I'll have to think about it I'm yet to see or hear anything that makes me think ya I need to upgrade!! Still I'm tempted.......

• Advertisement

I went from M7 to M9... the M7 was a bit knackered after almost two years heavy use... but having said that, it was still working incredibly quickly. The M9 is great, but I think phone design is stagnating slightly... There hasn't been a new innovation in a long time, and certainly no real reason to upgrade to any other model. The S6 doesn't offer any advantages over an M8 either... except if you want a cheap feeling iPhone clone running Android.

I never liked the M8, I thought the design detailing was poor... The M9, while changes are subtle, has much more impressive design detailing and feels awsome in the hand... Likewise HTCs UI...

UI and feel of the phone are the reasons I have stuck with HTC since the Hero. no other brand comes close, even if they do offer more design novelty...

BTW, having the SD card on my M9 has changed my world... I have dumped my aged iPod and docks and connectors, carry my music on my phone and connect wirelessly at home, in my car and at friends places and it doesn't seem to cause serious drain on the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I went from M7 to M9... the M7 was a bit knackered after almost two years heavy use... but having said that, it was still working incredibly quickly. The M9 is great, but I think phone design is stagnating slightly... There hasn't been a new innovation in a long time, and certainly no real reason to upgrade to any other model. The S6 doesn't offer any advantages over an M8 either... except if you want a cheap feeling iPhone clone running Android.

I never liked the M8, I thought the design detailing was poor... The M9, while changes are subtle, has much more impressive design detailing and feels awsome in the hand... Likewise HTCs UI...

UI and feel of the phone are the reasons I have stuck with HTC since the Hero. no other brand comes close, even if they do offer more design novelty...

BTW, having the SD card on my M9 has changed my world... I have dumped my aged iPod and docks and connectors, carry my music on my phone and connect wirelessly at home, in my car and at friends places and it doesn't seem to cause serious drain on the battery.

I would agree with you with the exception that i am still finding the M9 a bit more awkward in my hand than my M7 did. I am also finding the battery running down far too quick but believe this is due to some of my apps not being optimised for the hardware yet and maybe a bit too much "cant quite put it down yet"

SD card is great as the radio in my car is broken so i use the bluetooth car kit and my phone alot.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How about the M7 Basil3? Would you say it was worth the upgrade from that? For those that did make the jump how do the speakers compare? Read a couple of people saying that they're quieter on the M9 than the M7.

How about the M7 Basil3? Would you say it was worth the upgrade from that?

I would say definitely. The M7 was really awesome...probably the last HTC that gave me the wow factor when opening the box for the first time. That said, battery life was average, and the button placement with home to one side and back on the other is crazy (imo). Coming from the M7 to M9, the screen size will feel about the same with the on-screen buttons now.

Main benefits from M7 to M9 (only in my opinion):
    - Battery life
    - SD Card
    - Quick Charge 2.0 (I only have it on external battery pack, but it is awesome)
    - Camera (despite what people say, I think it's good now. At the zoo yesterday, I could actually use a bit of digital zoom and still take a nice pic!)
    - Headphone sound quality/loudness
    - On screen customisable buttons (although some people say they are negative)
    - Sense 7 (not sure if M7 will get this, but it is good)

Downside coming from M7:
    - Lack of OIS. This is a killer with filming video. Mine are shaky, and if uploading to YouTube I have to use their stabilisation.
    - Maybe the slightly bigger size?

Edit: regarding the M9 external speakers, I'm really quite disappointed in some respects...they just seem quieter than my M8. That said, when you watch something with Dolby on and the phone in front of you, it sounds amazing. I would say watching videos on it is better, listening to music while having a shower is worse :D Headphone volume on M9 is incredibly loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Basically what Basil said the M9 is a great upgrade from a M7. Better in every waywith the exception of video recording.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

beno619 wrote: »
    Basically what Basil said the M9 is a great upgrade from a M7. Better in every waywith the exception of video recording.

I know the battery on the m9 isn't quite what people were hoping for but is it better than the m7 in actual usage?

Right so i went along and bought this phone in the end :pac:.

So im trying to root it but im having problems with the unlocking of the bootloader.

On the first step when i need to access fastboot it doesnt appear for me at all.

I shut the phone down then hold down the volume key and the power button and i get a black screen.

htc download mode

*** LOCKED ***
    etc etc etc

i then have in blue font

system info
    show barcode
    reboot to bootloader
    reboot to download mode
    reboot
    power down

at the very bottom in yellow font i have

Security checking failed NOT_FIND_SMART
    IO
    FILE /mnt/media_rw/ext_sd/0PJAIMG.zip
    File NOT FOUND.

I have no idea what this is and theres no sign of any fastboot so i cant go past this step in any of the guides.

Anyone have any ideas???

Have you got S off

Have you got S off

Nope was hoping i could avoid getting it for a while at least not that long ago i bought it for the m8!!

Ok its all good i fixed the problem. Theres no longer a fastboot mode on the m9 its called download now.

All rooted!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I know the battery on the m9 isn't quite what people were hoping for but is it better than the m7 in actual usage?

The battery on my M7 had gone to ****e so I'm not sure if I can give an fair comparison but the M9 will last a day of medium usage. Standby is excellent and I'd stream about 2 hours of music a day over 4g and get 4 hour screen on 4g/wifi. I am however struggling to get more than 4 hours of screen with my usage. I can only see this improving over the next few months.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    The battery on my M7 had gone to ****e so I'm not sure if I can give an fair comparison but the M9 will last a day of medium usage. Standby is excellent and I'd stream about 2 hours of music a day over 4g and get 4 hour screen on 4g/wifi. I am however struggling to get more than 4 hours of screen with my usage. I can only see this improving over the next few months.

It must be just mine. Mine is losing about 10% battery per hour with screen off and unused. And if i even use it for web surfing it heats up quickly.

Battery usage when screen off is predominantly listed as google services (60%) rather than any particular app. Next up was skype at 9%

It must be just mine. Mine is losing about 10% battery per hour with screen off and unused. And if i even use it for web surfing it heats up quickly.

Battery usage when screen off is predominantly listed as google services (60%) rather than any particular app. Next up was skype at 9%

I had one of the initial release phones... About a week or so prior to the Irish launch, which had poor battery performance. Exchanged it for a new one and it is far superior...

I had one of the initial release phones... About a week or so prior to the Irish launch, which had poor battery performance. Exchanged it for a new one and it is far superior...

Do you know what software version you are on

I am on 1.32.161.15

My understanding was that the problems with battery performance and overheating was solved with a software update.

PS I am on vodafone

I just received an update to 1.32.401.17

all it says is 'system enhancements'...

going from 1.32.401.15

Have no idea what benefits lie ahead... is it still advisable to do a factory reset after a software update?

BTW, the '401' designation may only be a regional code... it'd be interesting to find out

That's insane, but I'd say software, rather than hardware issue. I used to have poor battery life, but fine now, and on same software version as you.

BTW, the '401' designation may only be a regional code... it'd be interesting to find out

401 is generic world wide English base. From memory, Vodafone is 161.

That's insane, but I'd say software, rather than hardware issue. I used to have poor battery life, but fine now, and on same software version as you.

I thought might have been some incompatible apps but have ruled that out now. We bought two M9's at the time and i have not set up the second yet for the other user so may test theirs first to see if there is any difference.

I have also been told that one person had to have some settings related to their sim card changed by vodafone as they kept losing connectivity when they moved out of a wifi area. IE Sometime i have to restart the phone when i leave work as it does not move to the vodafone data connection.

Sometime i have to restart the phone when i leave work as it does not move to the vodafone data connection.

Well, thats a serious problem right there... + if your phone is being forced to hunt for network or for data connection, it can be a serious battery drain... I would make sure Vodafone have given you the coreect settings.

• Advertisement

No sooner do i talk about it and it appears to be fixed. Did a restart today and as it was booting up it said it was upgrading. Gone a full hour now with no noticeable loss in battery. Same software version but something else may have changed.

Fingers crossed it stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The battery life is crap in my m9. I mostly use it for internet. I have an app called battery doctor and it dosent help at all. Is there any fix to the battery

Those battery doc apps are useless... Try using your browser instead of the facebook app. Set brightness to auto...

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The battery life is crap in my m9. I mostly use it for internet. I have an app called battery doctor and it dosent help at all. Is there any fix to the battery

You need to be more specific. Use gsam battery monitor, just to assess what usage you get out of a battery cycle.

PTH2009 wrote: »

If you go into Settings > Power > History

What level does it say the battery is at and how long does it have left.

Thanks

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone try that greenify app. It's works with non rooted phones on lollipop and hibernates services it thinks are hogging memory and thus saves battery. Doing know if it actually works. But it allows you to create a shortcut on your home screen to hibernate and lock the screen. Saves having to press the power button on the side all the time which is handy as double tap to sleep only works on lock screen for me.

By the way, anyone with a Three branded M9, when you go into Settings:Call:VoiceMail Settings what does it say for you ? Mine says Voicemail number <not set> and it's greyed out. If I go into the dialler app and press 1, and select Add Number it also brings me here. Can't seem to add my voicemail number, though I know I can add it manually to the sim. But its handy when you get a missed call to just click dial voicemail. I wonder is this due to fact I have a meteor sim in there at present. Also Voicemail service is set to 'My Carrier'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So I borrowed my friend's M9 for a couple of days to see if I'd upgrade from my M7.

I'm incredibly disappointed. There is no justification that I can see for paying upwards of €600 for very minor changes.

Battery life is shocking and the buttons are a mess. It doesn't even look particularly different.The screen is the same pretty much and the camera is sh1t, frankly. (And don't tell me to tweak the settings - if I want to tweak settings I'll use my DSLR).

I've had a load of HTC phones but this just isn't good enough. :(

So I borrowed my friend's M9 for a couple of days to see if I'd upgrade from my M7.

I'm incredibly disappointed. There is no justification that I can see for paying upwards of €600 for very minor changes.

Battery life is shocking and the buttons are a mess. It doesn't even look particularly different.The screen is the same pretty much and the camera is sh1t, frankly. (And don't tell me to tweak the settings - if I want to tweak settings I'll use my DSLR).

I've had a load of HTC phones but this just isn't good enough. :(

The M7 was a great device, but the M9 is better in virtually every single way, as you'd expect:
    - Battery life (despite your opinion, your mate may have a dud)
    - Build quality (M7 has gaps between plastic and metal, misalignments)
    - Screen size (device goes to immersive without navbar for a lot of things, and can be hidden if wanted)
    - Sound quality (particularly earphones)
    - External SD card
    - Processor
    - Software
    - Camera is without a doubt better. It may be slightly weaker in low light, but much better in decent light. You still have the ultrapixel FFC.

There was a bigger jump from M7 to M8, than M8 to M9 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I have an M8 and an upgrade next week. So i'm working is it worth going for the M9 with the battery troubles i've heard about.

I've had the M7 and M8 and in the past the reason i moved away from an iPhone was that they did nothing new phone after phone.

So are HTC now suffering from the same problem and is it time for me to look at the S6 ???

I have an M8 and an upgrade next week. So i'm working is it worth going for the M9 with the battery troubles i've heard about.

I've had the M7 and M8 and in the past the reason i moved away from an iPhone was that they did nothing new phone after phone.

So are HTC now suffering from the same problem and is it time for me to look at the S6 ???

Really no phones are offering anything new that new at the moment, it's all refinement. There's plenty of good phones about, but I don't think any one stands out above the rest.

If you want something different for the sake of it, then go S6, or wait for the LG G4 or Z4. None of these phones offer anything substantial above their predecessor. In some ways the Z4 and S6 regress, with Z4 reducing battery size and keeping pretty much same design again. The S6 has reduced battery size, removed the removable SD card, has an awesome camera, but still has TouchWiz. It has the nice looking edge design, but it puts the phone into a totally different price bracket.

In short, no phone is perfect :D

Also, regarding battery...these are my stats today. I think it's fine, about the same as M8. I'm expecting it to improve with updates though.

Really no phones are offering anything new that new at the moment, it's all refinement. There's plenty of good phones about, but I don't think any one stands out above the rest.

If you want something different for the sake of it, then go S6, or wait for the LG G4 or Z4. None of these phones offer anything substantial above their predecessor. In some ways the Z4 and S6 regress, with Z4 reducing battery size and keeping pretty much same design again. The S6 has reduced battery size, removed the removable SD card, has an awesome camera, but still has TouchWiz. It has the nice looking edge design, but it puts the phone into a totally different price bracket.

In short, no phone is perfect :D

Also, regarding battery...these are my stats today. I think it's fine, about the same as M8. I'm expecting it to improve with updates though.

Oh i know nothing is perfect.........but staying the same isn't great either if you get me.

I love my HTC and have had them for 2 years BUT if the 3rd upgrade is just the same only slightly better then perhaps its time for a change.......perhaps.

• Advertisement

Oh i know nothing is perfect.........but staying the same isn't great either if you get me.

I love my HTC and have had them for 2 years BUT if the 3rd upgrade is just the same only slightly better then perhaps its time for a change.......perhaps.

I was in the same position as you and while i did not want the S6 i thought about the Note 4. Touchwiz despite its refining recently is still very annoying and i have to acknowledge that in the two years with the M7 i never feel any envy for another phone.

Wireless charging would be nice but quick charging is better. My battery problems are gone now and all looks good. Very happy with my choice.

Yep, I'm also happy. The interface on the HTC is leagues beyone Samsung... No phone brand is offering anything really new or innovative.

I'm gonna pick up a quick charger & reckon it may change my life. Having said that, I unplugged my phone last Thursday at 7.00am, went to work, went to visit some friends after, went to sleep at about 10.00am the next morning and still had about 15% battery. was very impressed with that.

I was in the same position as you and while i did not want the S6 i thought about the Note 4. Touchwiz despite its refining recently is still very annoying and i have to acknowledge that in the two years with the M7 i never feel any envy for another phone.

Wireless charging would be nice but quick charging is better. My battery problems are gone now and all looks good. Very happy with my choice.

So you went with the M9 ?

And i take it the quick charge unit is not coming with the unit.

I must add that i have no phone from 9 to 5 getting a full day is no big problem for me, something fresh is what i want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The M7 was a great device, but the M9 is better in virtually every single way, as you'd expect:
    - Screen size (device goes to immersive without navbar for a lot of things, and can be hidden if wanted)
    - External SD card
    - Processor
    - Software
    - Camera is without a doubt better. It may be slightly weaker in low light, but much better in decent light. You still have the ultrapixel FFC.

That's all very well but there was a time when you got some innovation from HTC. I'll still probably buy it as I hate Touchwiz and I'll never forgive Samsung for the S3 I had.

So you went with the M9 ?

And i take it the quick charge unit is not coming with the unit.

I must add that i have no phone from 9 to 5 getting a full day is no big problem for me, something fresh is what i want.

Yes, was surprised the quick charger was not coming with the phone. I think they missed a opportunity there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

The quick charger shortens the life of the battery though.

OhHiMark wrote: »

I have heard that said but not by any of the reputable sources.

OhHiMark wrote: »

That wouldn't bother me as i only keep a phone for one year anyway. I do like the wireless charging with the samsung.

I have heard that said but not by any of the reputable sources.

I think the general concensus is that it will affect your battery life slightly, but not enough to notice significantly over the life of a device (2 years). I generally use my normal charger overnight, and have a quick charger for if I ever need a top-up.

Here's a nice little read about the future of battery tech:

http://www.androidcentral.com/smartphone-futurology-1-battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

- External SD card
    - Processor
    - Software

It may be better but the processor is a bit crap. The M8 805 chip runs at a more consistent speed than the M9's 810 over time.
    I'm only on an M7 but not gonna get the M9 because of that.

Some interesting reading in the link below.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

• Advertisement
Advertisement