Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC M9 thread

Comments

Keith186 wrote: »
    It may be better but the processor is a bit crap. The M8 805 chip runs at a more consistent speed than the M9's 810 over time.
    I'm only on an M7 but not gonna get the M9 because of that.

Some interesting reading in the link below.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

All of these articles about overheating, throttling etc have been largely disproven, not only in testing but also in real life usage. I'm not a gamer, but the M9 has been shown by all the gamer fanatics on XDA to be much better than the M8.

The entire list shown above applies for M8 to M9, except for the screen and SD card, which stay the same.

In any case, holding on to the M7 because of an article like the one above is reason enough for you to not ever upgrade again. I could find similar articles for different issues with any device on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'd be interested to see some articles showing the opposite.

You are right though about the not upgrading part! Wanted to get something new but there's always something to put me off. Can't decide what I want.

M9 - processor and that black bar.
    S6 - TouchWiz and their batteries are usually terrible (judging by previous devices I had/have from them).
    One Plus One - touch screen issues. Unpolished OS.
    Z4 - think this is gonna have SD 810 too.

Apart from M9 nothing will cone close to the M7 speakers too which is another issue. Hopefully there is some evidence to show the 810 isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Edit: I've read more bad stories about the 810 on reddit too not just the above article. In fairness I haven't been on XDA in a while must have a look later.

I'd be interested to see some articles showing the opposite.

You are right though about the not upgrading part! Wanted to get something new but there's always something to put me off. Can't decide what I want.

M9 - processor and that black bar.
    S6 - TouchWiz and their batteries are usually terrible (judging by previous devices I had/have from them).
    One Plus One - touch screen issues. Unpolished OS.
    Z4 - think this is gonna have SD 810 too.

Apart from M9 nothing will cone close to the M7 speakers too which is another issue. Hopefully there is some evidence to show the 810 isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Edit: I've read more bad stories about the 810 on reddit too not just the above article. In fairness I haven't been on XDA in a while must have a look later.

Here's a summary, basically saying that with extended pushing of the device, the worst that can happen is it will drop to performance levels of the M8, and it will take a fair amount of time to get there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60007513&postcount=71

Hamdir is definitely an HTC fanboy, but he would also point out if the 810 is a really bad chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

A lot of people on reddit have held on to the opinion that the chip overheats based on articles similar to the one you posted.

User experience disproves those "reviews" however.

I made the jump from the M7 to the M9 and its a significant update.

The speakers are better than the M7 for movies/ YouTube and the S810 is miles faster and in my opinion cooler than the S600 in the M7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

810 is still a bit of a let down from all accounts. Anandtech reports that it runs at 5-10°C higher than the M8 when browsing.
    I'd be more inclined to believe them than a random poster on the internet. Anyway, hopefully they are wrong and the phone works great as I'm not over the moon about any of the other alternatives. Will spend more time on XDA over the weekend see what I can find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

810 is still a bit of a let down from all accounts. Anandtech reports that it runs at 5-10°C higher than the M8 when browsing.
    I'd be more inclined to believe them than a random poster on the internet. Anyway, hopefully they are wrong and the phone works great as I'm not over the moon about any of the other alternatives. Will spend more time on XDA over the weekend see what I can find out.

810 is a letdown but still a huge upgrade for the M7 owner which is the point im trying to make also Anandtech arnt quite what they used to be.

Like I said theres not much diffrence in heat compared to the S600 in the M7, ive im on week two now so I have used the device longer than the average review would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thinking of doing a factory reset on my m9 as it won't automatically dial voicemail when I tell it to as voicemail settings missing. Could someone with an M9 please check this for me : Settings:Call:VoiceMail Settings. What does it say for you ? Mine says Voicemail number <not set> and it's greyed out. I can't add voicemail number because of this. Am not sure if it's because I changed carrier from Three to Meteor.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a factory reset on my m9 as it won't automatically dial voicemail when I tell it to as voicemail settings missing. Could someone with an M9 please check this for me : Settings:Call:VoiceMail Settings. What does it say for you ? Mine says Voicemail number <not set> and it's greyed out. I can't add voicemail number because of this. Am not sure if it's because I changed carrier from Three to Meteor.

I can set my number by going to dialer > settings > voicemail settings > voicemail number.

I'm vodafone device with vodafone sim, but am also rooted and s-off. Didn't try to change this when I first got the device.

Thabks. Will stick three sim back in and check. Was rooting easy. Any guides/step by step and any firmware updates since ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Bit the bullet and bought this. There's definitely something wrong with my mate's phone battery wise as I've found battery life excellent. The only thing I'm missing now is a car kit - I had the official HTC one for the M7 but there doesn't seem to be one for this yet. Any recommendations?

By the way, I bought an eMobile phone which was unlocked and has no branding or bloatware whatsover.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I can set my number by going to dialer > settings > voicemail settings > voicemail number.

I'm vodafone device with vodafone sim, but am also rooted and s-off. Didn't try to change this when I first got the device.

When I put the three sim in works fine. With the meteor sim in, the field is greyed out and set to blank and you can't change it. Guess I need to purchase s-off and root.

When I put the three sim in works fine. With the meteor sim in, the field is greyed out and set to blank and you can't change it. Guess I need to purchase s-off and root.

I would say you only need to unlock bootloader and flash a stockish custom rom, or Viper :D

I just unlocked with htcdev, the usual way. Takes no time.

s-off is good to have, but no huge use for it atm.

I would say you only need to unlock bootloader and flash a stockish custom rom, or Viper :D

Thanks. Will give it a shot. Will I still get updates automatically ?

I just unlocked the boot loader following these steps
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unlocking-the-HTC-One-M9s-bootloader-is-easy-Heres-how-to-do-it_id67505

I was confused at first as I could not see a Fastboot mode when I turned the phone on using volume down+power. But then I found this :
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/htc-one-m9-has-new-bootloader-menu-fastboot-is-now-called-download-mode-and-dancing-androids-are-no-more-75027/

So what steps would you recommend next ?

thanks

I just unlocked the boot loader following these steps
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unlocking-the-HTC-One-M9s-bootloader-is-easy-Heres-how-to-do-it_id67505

I was confused at first as I could not see a Fastboot mode when I turned the phone on using volume down+power. But then I found this :
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/htc-one-m9-has-new-bootloader-menu-fastboot-is-now-called-download-mode-and-dancing-androids-are-no-more-75027/

So what steps would you recommend next ?

thanks

Follow this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/one-m9/general/guide-root-install-twrp-htc-one-m9-t3061133

Flash the latest TWRP, do a nandroid of your device in it's stock-ish state. Then flash a custom ROM. Go Maximus if you want something that is still like stock, Viper if you want something with lots of customisation.

• Advertisement

Thanks mate. Viper sounds good to me. Are you on viper ?

Thanks mate. Viper sounds good to me. Are you on viper ?

It's the only ROM i've really been on for years now. I do bits and pieces for them.

Follow this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/one-m9/general/guide-root-install-twrp-htc-one-m9-t3061133

Flash the latest TWRP, do a nandroid of your device in it's stock-ish state. Then flash a custom ROM. Go Maximus if you want something that is still like stock, Viper if you want something with lots of customisation.

And if I want OTA updates later i assume I have to flash back my stock recovery as the custom recovery will block OTA's ? At least that's my understanding. Where is the best place for finding stock recoveries ?

I have found the European HTC recovery 1.32.401.8 here :
    http://www.andromods.com/download-files/htc-one-m9-stock-recovery-official-ota.html

Thanks

And if I want OTA updates later i assume I have to flash back my stock recovery as the custom recovery will block OTA's ? At least that's my understanding. Where is the best place for finding stock recoveries ?

I have found the European HTC recovery 1.32.401.8 here :
    http://www.andromods.com/download-files/htc-one-m9-stock-recovery-official-ota.html

Thanks

You probably need to get an RUU that matches your device. If you go s-off, you don't have to worry about any of this, and you get updates a lot faster than you would with your carrier. As soon as a new base is released, it will be on XDA.

You probably need to get an RUU that matches your device. If you go s-off, you don't have to worry about any of this, and you get updates a lot faster than you would with your carrier. As soon as a new base is released, it will be on XDA.

Hmm......beng a noob to this I think s-off would be best bet for me.

So it's 1. Flash TWRP. 2. Do Nandroid backup. 3. Install viper
    4. Install/purchase S-Off

By the way where does the carrier bloat reside ? Is it on a custom partition and does this get wiped out when you install the rom ?

And can I assume Viper will work fine as I see mentions of this being tested with M9's that have U.S. carriers or does it even matter ?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Hmm......beng a noob to this I think s-off would be best bet for me.

So it's 1. Flash TWRP. 2. Do Nandroid backup. 3. Install viper
    4. Install/purchase S-Off

By the way where does the carrier bloat reside ? Is it on a custom partition and does this get wiped out when you install the rom ?

Thanks

Yes, that's the correct order.

Regarding the bloat, that's an interesting question. I found some stuff still residing on my device, even though I'm rooted and s-off. It's not in my app drawer or anything, but it's tucked away on the device somewhere (can't actually remember where). If I was to flash an RUU, it would be gone, just haven't done that yet.

Be careful with s-off. It gives you the ability to basically do anything to your device, but if you do something you shouldn't, you can brick it. Better safe than sorry. One of the first things you want to do is go SuperCID, allowing you to basically flash anything.

Edit: Viper is definitely fine. It's always based on European GSM models, but they make it work for the US carriers, because there's a huge userbase over there.

Thanks.

I downloaded SuperSU 2.46. Will this work on the m9 as I saw a few people on the comments version of this excellent tutorial who had issues and it was suggested to try the beta version.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHN8byHAzk

Any benefit to donating for the premium version ?

Also I am curious if its possible to backup the stock recovery before installing custom recovery.

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Noticed since I bought this phone one my games the simpsons tapped out is lagging fairly bad.

Anyone else have similar issues?

I've seen nothing mentioned about the game.

Noticed since I bought this phone one my games the simpsons tapped out is lagging fairly bad.

Anyone else have similar issues?

I've seen nothing mentioned about the game.

Have noticed gp riptide 2 is a little choppy. IP6 was very smooth as was my M8 last year. Will try tapped out this evening and post back.

Yes, that's the correct order.

So ready now for S-Off.

I did the following :

1. Unlocked boot loader
    2. Installed custom recovery (twrp 2.8.6.4 beta). Went with the beta as it leaves the mount status in it's default read state which is needed for backup of original partitions
    3. Backed up original partitions from command line to phone and copied to PC
    4. Changed mount status to read / write with Fasboot and rooted with SuperSU

My understanding now is if I flash a custom rom like viper or even just leave the phone rooted as is, and an OTA update comes out, I can simply flash back the original partitions with fasboot to pick up the OTA update.

However, if I go S-Off will this allow me to pick up OTA updates without having to mess around with restoring stuff first ?

By the way I had not luck in finding an exact RUU for my phone

Thanks

Dunno why im having performance issues with this game its really bad the m8 ran it much smoother.

Seems OK for me. Try doing a factory reset I guess. Also since I rooted yesterday riptide is smoother.

Seems OK for me. Try doing a factory reset I guess. Also since I rooted yesterday riptide is smoother.

Ya I have the phone rooted since day I bought it.

I'll have to check it all out when I'm free. Thanks for checking.

So ready now for S-Off.

I did the following :

1. Unlocked boot loader
    2. Installed custom recovery (twrp 2.8.6.4 beta). Went with the beta as it leaves the mount status in it's default read state which is needed for backup of original partitions
    3. Backed up original partitions from command line to phone and copied to PC
    4. Changed mount status to read / write with Fasboot and rooted with SuperSU

My understanding now is if I flash a custom rom like viper or even just leave the phone rooted as is, and an OTA update comes out, I can simply flash back the original partitions with fasboot to pick up the OTA update.

However, if I go S-Off will this allow me to pick up OTA updates without having to mess around with restoring stuff first ?

By the way I had not luck in finding an exact RUU for my phone

Thanks

Personally, I just flash latest ROM and firmware when as they're released on xda, keeping up to date with everything.

If you're s-off and superCID, you can flash an international 401 RUU

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Hey - could any of you M9 owners do me a favor? I've been trying to download and install the Full Tilt poker app from their site (fulltiltpoker.eu) everytime I download it and attempt to install I get a forceclose error. I've tried clearing the cache and app data of firefox and the stock browser, downloaded multiple times and I have allow apps from unknown sources allowed.
    I can't figure it out, could anyone one else give it a shot and let me know how they get on?

• Advertisement

Hey - could any of you M9 owners do me a favor? I've been trying to download and install the Full Tilt poker app from their site (fulltiltpoker.eu) everytime I download it and attempt to install I get a forceclose error. I've tried clearing the cache and app data of firefox and the stock browser, downloaded multiple times and I have allow apps from unknown sources allowed.
    I can't figure it out, could anyone one else give it a shot and let me know how they get on?

yeah, it force closes. i did a logcat, the issue is with libs:

nativeLibraryDirectories=[/data/app/ie.rational.services.rush.poker-1/lib/arm64, /vendor/lib64, /system/lib64]]] couldn't find "libcasino.so"

realistically, it's something the devs of the app have to fix, but i'll have a play around. i've been having trouble with modifying some android things recently, and a lot of it comes down to the switch to 64 bit for the likes of the M9. wouldn't suprise me if this is a similar thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

yeah, it force closes. i did a logcat, the issue is with libs:

nativeLibraryDirectories=[/data/app/ie.rational.services.rush.poker-1/lib/arm64, /vendor/lib64, /system/lib64]]] couldn't find "libcasino.so"

realistically, it's something the devs of the app have to fix, but i'll have a play around. i've been having trouble with modifying some android things recently, and a lot of it comes down to the switch to 64 bit for the likes of the M9. wouldn't suprise me if this is a similar thing.

ahhh nuts - the 64bit processor would be it all right. I had utterly forgotten it had one.

For anyone that wants a cheapish M9 case that is tpu and offers good protection and very little bulk I highly recommend Diztronic. Decent lay on table design, does not let grit/lint in to scratch back of phone, matt finish so no fingerprints, and tactile buttons.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diztronic-Ultra-TPU-Matte-Case-Full-Black-x/dp/B00VIFI0XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430989729&sr=8-1&keywords=htc+m9+diztronic+ultra

Much better TPU than spigen capsule with tight fit. Also tried the spigen ultra hybrid (got scratched up), neo hybrid (outer shell cracked), capsule (volume buttons too easy to press by mistake), poetic affinity (buttons to hard to press), tech 21 (poor build quality and lets dust/grit in), uag maverick (clear back got scratched up and uag logo loose) and htc's only clear case (also scratched easily). Returned the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Hi. Hi anyone use an App that will open an eircom.net type email? I have tried mymail and Email and neither will recognise my email address. I use Microsoft Outlook on my pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

WexIan wrote: »
    Hi. Hi anyone use an App that will open an eircom.net type email? I have tried mymail and Email and neither will recognise my email address. I use Microsoft Outlook on my pc

Is there anything different about eircom.net mail. I thought it was standard pop3 mail.

Settings should be

Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

Hi thanks, yes those are the settings I use on my pc. I am looking for an app for my phone.

The standard HTC Mail app should do fine. It supports POP3.

By any chance is the problem you have only with sending mails or is it during setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has there been any worthwhile improvement in the camera since launch? I remember reading at the time that they hoped to improve it via software updates.

Has there been any worthwhile improvement in the camera since launch? I remember reading at the time that they hoped to improve it via software updates.

Yeah, according to some guys I know who were moaning about the camera, there has been significant improvement.

You also have the ability to shoot in RAW now, which means you can do some serious editing.

Don't think it's on the same level as the GS6 camera, or the upcoming LG G4 camera, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You can use the gmail, or google inbox apps... just link your eircom account in the settings...

Thanks again Shane. Its in the setup I am having problems, I can get as far as outgoing server settings and I am getting an error message cannot connect to mail server to verify account information, your server is not responding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Thanks again Shane. Its in the setup I am having problems, I can get as far as outgoing server settings and I am getting an error message cannot connect to mail server to verify account information, your server is not responding

it says here
    Note: eircom Webmail outgoing mail will not work on our mobile network, outgoing mail will only work when connected to WiFi as Meteor/e-Mobile do not have an outgoing SMTP server. Incoming mail is not affected and will function as normal.

You can send eircom webmail outside of a WiFi connection by using the browser on their handset. The problem is only encountered when trying to send emails through any email client app.

Does that shed any light on it?

Thanks for that. I am on Vodafone and have followed their web instructions and am still unable to connect. Will visit their local store and see if they can set it up for me.

Just to be sure.

You set up mail.vodafone.ie as the outgoing smtp server. No security Port 25

Should not need a username or password for outgoing.

This thread has been quiet of late. I was wondering if anyone has tried the new dotview ice case which is in a lot of shops now. Seems to have better protection than the regular solid backed case (bumper protection on bottom and right). I am wondering is that hard see thru back a scratch magnet ?

• Advertisement

This thread has been quiet of late. I was wondering if anyone has tried the new dotview ice case which is in a lot of shops now. Seems to have better protection than the regular solid backed case (bumper protection on bottom and right). I am wondering is that hard see thru back a scratch magnet ?

I use the dot view case and and love it. Back does not seem to get scratched but the holes in the front gather dust. Not a big problem though.

Sound is good through it if listening to music and like that i don't have to open the case to answer calls.

Shane

I use the dot view case and and love it. Back does not seem to get scratched but the holes in the front gather dust. Not a big problem though.

Sound is good through it if listening to music and like that i don't have to open the case to answer calls.

Shane

That's good to hear. I had the dotview on the m8 and know the story with dust. Still, I suspect I am fussier than most regarding scratches on the back as I returned a spigen ultra hybrid clear and ringke fusion to amazon as both had micro scratches after a few days, though only visible in bright light. This was from just cleaning smudges off the back with a micro fibre cloth. I wish someone would make a soft clear tpu case with some semblance of scratch resistance.

Ah put an Otter box on it. Might not look as beautiful but you know that if it does take a tumble it wont be damaged.

No thanks. Looks shoite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Is it worth moving to an M9 from an M8 as im out of contract with three so looking to see whats out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement