Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC M9 thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Hey Guys,

Just upgraded to an M9 this weekend. Have been reading up and i know there is supposed to be a camera upgrade to the firmware (1.32.502.31) doing the rounds. After the usual out-of-the-box updates i find i am left on version 1.32.401.15.

This the same version for everyone else? Any idea on when we get the new OTA update pushed out (with Meteor)?
    I wouldn't normally want to mess around with flashing a stock ROM onto the device this early after purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My M9 is with 3 Ireland and they claim it has the latest firmware which is showing as software number 1.32.771.15 when I check my phone about settings.

771 is for 3 UK, and the 15 is how many revisions before it got pushed out.

Your's is 1.32.401.15. 401 - this is International GSM. Sounds about right. Your 502 before that is actually AT&T.

Just check the HTC DEV site from time to time
    http://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads

Flaccus wrote:
    My M9 is with 3 Ireland and they claim it has the latest firmware which is showing as software number 1.32.771.15 when I check my phone about settings.

I had started to figure it was the last two digits that were important. I'm working on my HTC knowledge after coming from Sammy-land. So i take it your M9 doesn't have the camera firmware update yet either (raw mode should be available)?

Thanks for the link to the Dev site!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Has anyone been having issues with the camera recently...every so often when trying to use the app it tells me it's unable to start the app?

Redundo wrote: »
    I had started to figure it was the last two digits that were important. I'm working on my HTC knowledge after coming from Sammy-land. So i take it your M9 doesn't have the camera firmware update yet either (raw mode should be available)?

Thanks for the link to the Dev site!

Yes it does. All the European models came with the HTC update. Raw mode is available. I think because the US ones might have got the phone earlier the update wasn't available at the time. Camera still sucks in auto mode as it overexposes regularly like the M8 did for me. And it's pretty rubbish in low light. Miles behind the iPhone 6 I had :( But my main focus is the audio quality from the headphone jack and in that regard it's excellent.

mickob16 wrote: »
    Has anyone been having issues with the camera recently...every so often when trying to use the app it tells me it's unable to start the app?

Only with the video camera. It tells me that it's in use sometimes.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Yes it does. All the European models came with the HTC update. Raw mode is available. I think because the US ones might have got the phone earlier the update wasn't available at the time. Camera still sucks in auto mode as it overexposes regularly like the M8 did for me. And it's pretty rubbish in low light. Miles behind the iPhone 6 I had :( But my main focus is the audio quality from the headphone jack and in that regard it's excellent.

I see the camera RAW mode now. Yeah i've seen the over-exposure issue alright. I've also seen it get a foggy low-contrast haze over some images and very funny auto white balance interpretations.

Was taking a photo in a field over the weekend and the white balance was misinterpreted so badly that the grass turned a psychadelic purple! Had to point up at the sky and re-frame to correct for it. I've had an Epson scanner do the same when converting film negatives scans to an image. Interesting to see it repeated here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Can anyone here tell me if there is a way of importing the m9+ from china? I'm presuming the phone wont work here, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Why not buy one on done deal and have a genuine european phone. A lot on offer at reasonable prices with proof of ownership so you know its genuine and not a fake. Also if its locked it can be unlocked for €15

WexIan wrote: »
    Why not buy one on done deal and have a genuine european phone. A lot on offer at reasonable prices with proof of ownership so you know its genuine and not a fake. Also if its locked it can be unlocked for €15
    I don't see them for sale anywhere. I think my only option is importing but might be a waste of time if its unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The M9 Plus is a China only exclusive at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Testament1 wrote: »
    The M9 Plus is a China only exclusive at the moment.

You can get them here in the middle east... Phone specs are usually the same as Europe. I bought my butterfly from this crowd and never had a problem:

http://www.mygsm.me/HTC-One-M9-plus-online-shop-in-dubai-uae.html

There's a few on donedeal heres a link

http://www.donedeal.ie/phones-for-sale/htc-one-m9-silver-brand-new-in-the-box/9561040?offset=30

I was travelling through Dubai recently and intended to buy one in the duty free, but they wernt any cheeper really than here, so i purchased one on donedeal recently with proof of ownership, very pleased.

There's a few on donedeal heres a link

http://www.donedeal.ie/phones-for-sale/htc-one-m9-silver-brand-new-in-the-box/9561040?offset=30

I was travelling through Dubai recently and intended to buy one in the duty free, but they wernt any cheeper really than here, so i purchased one on donedeal recently with proof of ownership, very pleased.

THats the regular m9

Im looking for the m9+

If you haven't heard, HTC pied its customers in the face and released a steroid injected version of the m9 but its only available in Asia I believe.

I'm not upgrading from m8 to m9 however the m9+ would be a nice step up!

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You can get them here in the middle east... Phone specs are usually the same as Europe. I bought my butterfly from this crowd and never had a problem:

http://www.mygsm.me/HTC-One-M9-plus-online-shop-in-dubai-uae.html

How did you get it imported? Looking at the site they only seem to deliver to the middle east!

skeg16 wrote: »
    THats the regular m9

Im looking for the m9+

If you haven't heard, HTC pied its customers in the face and released a steroid injected version of the m9 but its only available in Asia I believe.

I'm not upgrading from m8 to m9 however the m9+ would be a nice step up!

That's not exactly the case.....it contains the much inferior MediaTek processor.

Basil3 wrote:
    That's not exactly the case.....it contains the much inferior MediaTek processor.

Basil is right, take a look at the XDA forums for the M9.There's a proper breakdown of the differences there. After reading it, the M9+ no longer seemed all that superior to me.

It was a move by HTC designed to please the home fans i think. Left everyone else annoyed, so all in all it wasn't a great decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I have one of those cases had one for the m8 as well really good quality look the part and really does protect your phone.

Ive dropped it once or twice on the street and not a mark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My phone won't charge don't know if it's the phone or the cable. I tried 2 chargers and it still doesn't charge. A message appered on the phone saying unable to charge too much power being consumed.

I have it insured so hopefully I can get it fixed

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My phone won't charge don't know if it's the phone or the cable. I tried 2 chargers and it still doesn't charge. A message appered on the phone saying unable to charge too much power being consumed.

Pretty common with the M9, from what I've experienced - especially with a USB to PC connection. Have you tried turning it off and charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

PTH2009 wrote: »

The original charger as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Basil3 wrote: »
    Pretty common with the M9, from what I've experienced - especially with a USB to PC connection. Have you tried turning it off and charging?
    It's not phone problem, but USB specification problem. Depending on what the driver/PC agrees (!!!) with the phone and what type of USB you have (v2 or v3) charging currrent might be as low as 100 mA - way to low to charge anything.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    It's not phone problem, but USB specification problem. Depending on what the driver/PC agrees (!!!) with the phone and what type of USB you have (v2 or v3) charging currrent might be as low as 100 mA - way to low to charge anything.

Yeah, but it's definitely an issue that has been introduced on the M9. M8 didn't have this issue, and I know loads of people who suffer from it on the M9.

Praise the Lord for Quick Charge 2.0 :D

Seen this problem once or twice too. The M9 seems to only like the best treatment; a decent quality USB cable and the USB 3.0 port if possible.

Turning the phone off to charge will help a lot too!

• Advertisement

Anyone see any differences with new update 1.40.161.8 to camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Anyone see any differences with new update 1.40.161.8 to camera

Only updated last night, will be taking a few pics out today.

Tests on xda developers are quite positive so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

How did everyone get on with the new update.

I seem to have got charging and battery problems now. Charging is very very slow (did not fully charge overnight) and drain seems quick.

Used different cables and chargers.

I seem to have got charging and battery problems now. Charging is very very slow (did not fully charge overnight) and drain seems quick.

This is a new "feature" unfortunately, the more apps you have running while it charges the phone will slow down the charge rate to combat heat.

Not so sure about that. That would be the case if the phone was heating up but the phone was completely cool and at night my phone shuts down for all internet etc.

Have been force closing apps and things seem steady now but charging is still very slow except for my Quick Charge 2 car charger.

Will keep experimenting but most of my apps are standard well known ones and do not seem to be drawing excessive power.

• Advertisement

Not so sure about that. That would be the case if the phone was heating up but the phone was completely cool and at night my phone shuts down for all internet etc.

Have been force closing apps and things seem steady now but charging is still very slow except for my Quick Charge 2 car charger.

Will keep experimenting but most of my apps are standard well known ones and do not seem to be drawing excessive power.

HTC completely screwed charging on the last update. For users of custom ROMs, the problem was identified in pnp.xml, and has been rectified.

Found out that other users are having the same problem and currently the only workaround is to restart the phone before charging. Problem affects all chargers including the Quick Charge 2 ones.

Have confirmed the fix on two phones here in the office and sent a mail to HTC support (If they are listening)

Shane

Found out that other users are having the same problem and currently the only workaround is to restart the phone before charging. Problem affects all chargers including the Quick Charge 2 ones.

Have confirmed the fix on two phones here in the office and sent a mail to HTC support (If they are listening)

Shane

Latest leaked software fixes the issue, improves performance and reduces heat from device. It will come with the update that is based on Android 5.1, which hopefully is public before too long.

Latest leaked software fixes the issue, improves performance and reduces heat from device. It will come with the update that is based on Android 5.1, which hopefully is public before too long.

Are you saying there is a fix to the issue introduced only last week? That was quick. I cant even find them acknowledging the issue.

Are you saying there is a fix to the issue introduced only last week? That was quick. I cant even find them acknowledging the issue.

This is their reported improvements on the latest update:

Camera
    • Greater auto-exposure balance algorithm to improve overall dynamic range, so images appear more detailed and balanced, especially in bright light conditions
    • Additional improvements for pictures taken in low light, so images are clearer, detail is more apparent, and colors appear truer to life

Battery Life & Charging
    • Overall improvements to battery life, which reduce power consumption by YouTube, Facebook, and other popular social apps like Skype and Google Hangouts, so you can watch more videos or have video chats with your loved ones for longer periods of time
    • Improved smart charging, so your phone stays cooler while it's being charged

It's that very last 'improvement' that caused the issues with charging. Your device stays cold, and doesn't charge quickly at all.

I know guys running the latest HTC software based on Android 5.1 (they beta test for HTC), and all issues are solved, along with other improvements.

One thing I love about HTC, they definitely pump out the updates. If they mess something up, it's rectified fairly quickly.

Cheers for that.

Good to know a fix is on the way.

Got new update last week and i can definately say camera better with low light and no problem charging and phone seems much cooler

WexIan wrote:
    Got new update last week and i can definately say camera better with low light and no problem charging and phone seems much cooler

What software version are you guys on? I'm still stuck on lollipop 5.0.2.

Have to say i was hoping for better battery life than im getting. Androids Kernel and System are my two biggest battery hogs.

Lollipop 5.0.2
    Software 1.40.161.8

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

Anyone have a speaker related problem after update. Am only assuming their related at the moment. Updated firmware couple of days ago and since then phone randomly goes into and out of mode car mode. Tried disabling the app but still left with situation when making/receiving call automatically in speaker mode. Very frustrating

• Advertisement

121212 wrote: »
    Anyone have a speaker related problem after update. Am only assuming their related at the moment. Updated firmware couple of days ago and since then phone randomly goes into and out of mode car mode. Tried disabling the app but still left with situation when making/receiving call automatically in speaker mode. Very frustrating

Have not found that myself. If you dont use Car mode you could try disabling it. Just go to apps, all, then find Car, open it and then disable.

Cheers

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Battery is worse after this update on mine,any others notice any change ?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Battery is worse after this update on mine,any others notice any change ?

There is a problem with charging. I can only charge properly by rebooting before i charge.

I got the 1.40.401.8 update at last.

Can't say i have seen any of the issues with charging, car mode or speakers mentioned above. The camera does seem to be working much better for me, but other than that i haven't noticed any dramatic changes.

I think Android M will be officially released before the M9 gets updated to Lollipop 5.1!

Redundo wrote:
    I think Android M will be officially released before the M9 gets updated to Lollipop 5.1!

I'm pretty sure it'll be out in July, 5.1 is slated for the m8 in August.

Edit: 5.1 leaked on xda yesterday, hopefully we could have it by the first week of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just picked up the m9 today. Went in to the meteor store with a well thought plan of getting an m8s for 99 yoyos on 40 euro a month. Ended up with m9 at the same price on 50/month plan.

I looked at m9 prices before and decided against it due to price (300 on billpay). Happy with the offer, though.

Serious piece of phone, any suggestions for a good quality cover to protect it from damage?

My previous m8 was heavily damaged at work last year, normally keep a phone as it is, but would like something to cover it at work.

Thanks for all suggestions.

wonski wrote: »
    Just picked up the m9 today. Went in to the meteor store with a well thought plan of getting an m8s for 99 yoyos on 40 euro a month. Ended up with m9 at the same price on 50/month plan.

I looked at m9 prices before and decided against it due to price (300 on billpay). Happy with the offer, though.

Serious piece of phone, any suggestions for a good quality cover to protect it from damage?

My previous m8 was heavily damaged at work last year, normally keep a phone as it is, but would like something to cover it at work.

Ordered the M9 active case today. Waterproof, dustproof, shock resistant and expensive. Will let you know how it goes.

http://www.expansys.ie/htc-active-case-for-one-m9-hc-c1152-yellow-273942/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

wonski wrote: »

Cruzerlite case.. Best protection against drops or an Otterbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ordered the M9 active case today. Waterproof, dustproof, shock resistant and expensive. Will let you know how it goes.

http://www.expansys.ie/htc-active-case-for-one-m9-hc-c1152-yellow-273942/

Jesus, that's a ridiculous price. Hope it's warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Had Spigen case for m8 and now m9 look great do really good job of protecting to.

As I've found out more then once!

Advertisement