Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox

Options
  • 22-03-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Lads is this right. I have an i5 machine with 6gigs of ram.

When its just sitting doing nothing the CPU is at about 1% - 2%

When I open firefox it jumps up to around about 10% and it hovers there and the fans come on. If I walk away and come back in an hour its still sitting at 10% and feeling pretty hot.

Its just the google homepage.....

I have no add-ons or anything installed on it. Firefox is freshly installed and the machine was only just wiped a week ago.

Is firefox like this for everyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've always found firefox to be a resource hog. But it happens with a lot of other browsers now too. Such as Chrome.

I've long assumed it's due to shoddy web design and the sheer amount of media put onto websites now as a result of "fast" internet access.

Facebook is a major culprit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I recently installed the 64bit firefox version and have found performance a lot better. I haven't been monitoring CPU usage, but it has been a lot smoother even with a number of typical add-ons installed.

I had been having issues with the regular firefox for quite a while, despite a fresh install with no addons. It was jumpy and slow, but now since swapping to the 64bit version I find it a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Definitely something wrong with that. I'm a very heavy FF user, running on a laptop from 2011, and it definitely wouldn't be taking 10% of the CPU without a couple of resource-intensive tabs being open. Try an uninstall and re-install again, and make sure to delete your profile folder in between (%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox). I'd uninstall Flash as well, which has a habit of screwing things up. If none of those things work, try disabling Hardware Acceleration: Tools => Options => Advanced => General => uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

28064212 wrote: »
    I'd uninstall Flash as well, which has a habit of screwing things up.

How do I watch youtube videos without flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Gormley85 wrote: »
    How do I watch youtube videos without flash?
    Have you tried it lately? The default player is now HTML5, not Flash. There might be some old videos that require flash, but you're not likely to come across any.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

28064212 wrote: »
    Have you tried it lately? The default player is now HTML5, not Flash. There might be some old videos that require flash, but you're not likely to come across any.

Just be aware that HTML5 YouTube videos in Firefox are limited to a max of 720p at the moment until they add support for Media Source Extensions.

Advertisement