Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD, to buy or not to buy?

Options
  • 22-03-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Wondering if I would see a big difference if i bought a 60gb ssd in my daily laptop tasks.. (Microsoft Office, browsing, downloading,) no gaming or anything heavy.

My laptop is ok atm 6gb ram i5, 1tr hd and boots up in about 8 seconds

Dose anyone see me benefiting much from a 60 ssd.. Whats the difference with 60 and 120? Is it speed or just handles more tasks which is why I prob won't need a higher one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you're going from 1tb to 60gb then no, don't upgrade unless you can use an external hard drive.

The 60 or 120 is the size of the drive e.g. 60gb, 120gb. The HDD you have is 1000gb, which is a big difference.

Don't think there's a point to upgrading if you boot in 8sec and don't notice lag to answer your question

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

If you're going from 1tb to 60gb then no, don't upgrade unless you can use an external hard drive.

The 60 or 120 is the size of the drive e.g. 60gb, 120gb. The HDD you have is 1000gb, which is a big difference.

Don't think there's a point to upgrading if you boot in 8sec and don't notice lag to answer your question

Hi, thanks for the reply. Im kinda knew to this stuff so is it not possible to keep my HDD there and add the SSD in for extra speed or can you only have the one?

I've never seen a laptop that can take two drives (that's not to say they don't exist) Its either or for the most part. Sometimes you can take out the disk drive and add a hard drive but that's probably complicating it.

You could get a 120gb SSD (the minimum I'd recommend) and an enclosure for your old drive for about €100. You'd have the speed of an SSD with all of your old files are stuff still intact, just as a separate, external hard drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I've never seen a laptop that can take two drives (that's not to say they don't exist) Its either or for the most part. Sometimes you can take out the disk drive and add a hard drive but that's probably complicating it.

You could get a 120gb SSD (the minimum I'd recommend) and an enclosure for your old drive for about €100. You'd have the speed of an SSD with all of your old files are stuff still intact, just as a separate, external hard drive

Alot of higher spec laptops can take two hdd a few of the hp and toshibas I've worked on do.
    What model is your laptop op?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

jayo26 wrote: »
    Alot of higher spec laptops can take two hdd a few of the hp and toshibas I've worked on do.
    What model is your laptop op?

Asus k55a. I don't know if mine can take two. I read a comment on some forum about having thee ssd just for his operating system applications to speed that up.. And also have the main HD for all your other stuff

• Advertisement

Seems to be a way to add a second disk OP, google "ASUS K55a Second hard drive" and check out a few of the links. I'm on my phone and I'm too lazy to get the link again :p I'm a bit out of touch with laptops, I didn't realise 2 disks would be commonplace nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your normal mechanical drive boots to desktop in 8 seconds? That must be a world record twice over. Not even the fastest SSD in the world could match that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Your normal mechanical drive boots to desktop in 8 seconds? That must be a world record twice over. Not even the fastest SSD in the world could match that.

He might just mean the booth logo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

You can get enclosures for hard drives that replace the optical drive in a laptop. This is a good way of adding a second hard drive to a laptop because lets be honest here, how often do you actually use an optical drive?

You can get a hard drive caddy which will replace the DVD-Drive, here you could put your original magnetic drive for which you use for DATA and place the ssd in the original compartment and place the OS on it, you can also get a an external caddy for the original DVD drive for further use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Here's some cheap hard drive caddies for laptops from buyincoins.com, approx €5 each delivered (takes about 4 weeks though).
    12.7mm one : http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45903.html (This is probably the one you'd need)
    9.5mm one: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45901.html

I'd definitely recommend an SSD, it just makes everything faster, from browsing the net to doing Office stuff.
    Get the best one to suit your budget; a 120gb Samsung 850 Evo (about €95 delivered from memoryc) is a great start.
    You can use the 'Location' feature in each of your User folders (Docs,Desktop,Pics,Downloads,Videos) to keep the
    big stuff on the larger 1TB, and just use the SSD for OS & software.

Advertisement