Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview problem

Options
  • 23-03-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭

Hello hello,

Last week I had an interview for a web established hotel in my home town for a bartender position, all went well and it was one of my better interviews I think, the woman interviewing me was lovely too, now she said the GM wanted to talk to anyone who was being interviewed which is understandable so scheduled me in for Saturday.

This is where it went down hill.

Having showed up 15 minutes early, I asked for the GM at reception, upon his arrival, he greeted me with "who are you?" and had no idea he had a supposed interview with me.

Anyway, he called me into his office and it started. He didn't have a copy of my CV (and with it being a second interview, I didn't think I'd need one) so he took down basic details and asked me an insanely vague question "what does a hotel do?", after I answered, he basically told me I was bull****ting. He continued on to say he doesn't hire anyone with any piercings or tattoos, I have both, but my tattoos were hidden so he wouldn't have known about them. And I only have my left ear pierced. Nothing else. That was fair enough, they're not to everyones taste. But then after listing my bar experience, he told me what I did was essentially "pour pints for 18 year olds on the piss", now anyone whose worked in a bar, knows that is a very ignorant, simplified way to look at it. He said he'd talk to the woman who interviewed me first but I know I won't get a call back.

A girl I'm in college with had the same interview with him (he showed up 20 minutes late), except for waitressing, she has maybe 4 months working experience over all, whereas I have 3 years. And she claims she's been hired.

Am I overreacting? or dodging a bullet? He made me feel like an absolute idiot for no reason and I'm not sure what the point was of even interviewing me if it was to basically abuse me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

You dodged a bullet, the fact that he insists on interviewing everyone personally instead of letting HR do their job, tells me he's a micromanager. His sort get bogged down in the details and get frustrated with everyone else.

Chalk this down to experience and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I agree you dodged a bullet. Sounds like he'd be a nightmare to work for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

MajorMax wrote: »
    You dodged a bullet, the fact that he insists on interviewing everyone personally instead of letting HR do their job, tells me he's a micromanager. His sort get bogged down in the details and get frustrated with everyone else.

Chalk this down to experience and move on

Had a similar sort of manager in a previous place although he wasnt nearly as ignorant but blamed everyone else when things didntgo his way.

More I think about it, the more I dont want to work for someone like that, if he treats interviewee's like that imagine as an employee. Ive also found out the hotel has had 4/5 different managers over the last few years alone but maybe thats how the hotel industry goes, im not sure.

Advertisement