Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best resource for training plans

Options
  • 23-03-2015 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Ok, so 2015 is my year to move out of the bottom of the pack!

Previously I used this handy mobile phone app for beginners to intermediate with a 12 week plan.

This year I have a weekly group swim session and have equipped myself with trainer road. I am wondering how to construct a decent 12 week training plan based on using trainer road which has some good plans, incorporate maybe 2 runs and 2 swims per week.

I know there are lots of sites with free plans etc, but I am looking to up my game a bit this year (aiming for 1:20 time for sprint although this might be too ambitious but I think it is within my reach!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

JohnBee wrote: »
    Ok, so 2015 is my year to move out of the bottom of the pack!

Previously I used this handy mobile phone app for beginners to intermediate with a 12 week plan.

This year I have a weekly group swim session and have equipped myself with trainer road. I am wondering how to construct a decent 12 week training plan based on using trainer road which has some good plans, incorporate maybe 2 runs and 2 swims per week.

I know there are lots of sites with free plans etc, but I am looking to up my game a bit this year (aiming for 1:20 time for sprint although this might be too ambitious but I think it is within my reach!).

My 2c - two runs a week is won't result in any fitness gains. Four times a week minimum running. Two swims a week is maintaining form and fitness but not going to move on.

As for an online resource. Plenty of pack em high plans and coaches out there. Triathletes training bible is a good book to start with. However integrating two plans (TR one and a off the shelf one) will require a good bit of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

If you can squeeze in 3 x Run, Bike, Swim, good quality sessions then you'll have a chance. That's 9 sessions over 9/10 hrs. Do you have that much time to train?

rooneyjm wrote: »
    If you can squeeze in 3 x Run, Bike, Swim, good quality sessions then you'll have a chance. That's 9 sessions over 9/10 hrs. Do you have that much time to train?

"how do you find the time to train?"
    "I don't know how you do it, I just won't have the time"

Responses are:
    "What happened in Corrie last week?"
    "Did you watch the UTD/Liverpool/Arsenal game?"
    "How many units of alcohol do you consume a week?"

The answers to the second set of questions often indicate why the time cannot be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Somebody once said "you can find a way, or you can find an excuse".

And I don't mean to come across as a condescending dick as I've found more excuses than most over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

tunney wrote: »
    "how do you find the time to train?"
    "I don't know how you do it, I just won't have the time"

Responses are:
    "What happened in Corrie last week?"
    "Did you watch the UTD/Liverpool/Arsenal game?"
    "How many units of alcohol do you consume a week?"

The answers to the second set of questions often indicate why the time cannot be found.

I dont know the answers to the second set of questions for the same reason I dont have oodles of time to do 9 workouts per week. My average working week is between 60-70 hours, after work, trying to squeeze time for three children also inhibits my scheduling!

I am aiming for 3 bike, 2 swim and 2 run sessions. Not sure that swimming twice weekly will only maintain form/fitness. Now that I swim with a triathlon swim group I have found improving technique and doing high intensity interval sessions has improved my 100m times greatly, and with pace work I can see myself knocking time off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What's your specific race goal this year John? If you haven't formulated one it would certainly help to crystallise your efforts to a specific focus. A 12 week plan is possibly too generic to be useful without tying it to something solid and real - i.e. Hell of the West June 27th. TriAthlone SuperSprint July 4th etc.

I suppose the other major question is what distances are you planning to race and what would you like to train for? You mention Sprint distance, do you reckon you'll do any longer events this year at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I dont have oodles of time to do 9 workouts per week. My average working week is between 60-70 hours, after work, trying to squeeze time for three children also inhibits my scheduling!

5 lunch time sessions a week, run or bike
    2, ideally 3 AM swims a week.

Thats the bulk of your training week right there without comprimising on family time! It really is just about good time management and being organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Thats the bulk of your training week right there without comprimising on family time! It really is just about good time management and being organised.

+1

Using your commute to work is a great option too.

Unfortunately my chosen career rarely provides consistent lunch breaks, and certainly lunch is never more than 30min.

Commuting as mentioned I have considered, and while cycling wont work, I plan to do some runs either to or from work to help minimize impact on life in general!

I should have mentioned at the start that I am planning only sprints this year, one race in June and one in August, and perhaps a couple of others. I have done a total of 4 sprint races over the last three years but with minimal training for each, coming in around the 1:32 mark.

My aim is to have 7 workouts per week, 3 bike, swim, 2 run, with one of the bike/runs combined as brick session so that I can manage 6 days per week. I plan to use the trainer road low-volume half distance plan to take care of the bike end. Its a twelve week program, so will start next Sunday which is 12 weeks out. My swim I am just going to do my weekly triathlon club swim session and one other interval session based on swim coach workout list.

I guess I mainly need a plan to have a 12 week twice weekly run program. I just found a trail close by to where I live which has plenty of hills, slightly off road and its an 8km loop. Just trying to figure out how to build/taper the running over 12 weeks.

Thanks for all the tips!

Once you have an adequate base and get your FTP the intervals on TrainerRoad will bring your fitness and power on leaps and bounds, it did for me anyway. Why is the cycle to work not practical by the way?

Are you running the 8k loop already?

If your looking for a fast Sprint to try crack your goal time, have a look at Two Provence's. Its a fast course with a quick transition. 11th July

• Advertisement

Once you have an adequate base and get your FTP the intervals on TrainerRoad will bring your fitness and power on leaps and bounds, it did for me anyway. Why is the cycle to work not practical by the way?

Are you running the 8k loop already?

If your looking for a fast Sprint to try crack your goal time, have a look at Two Provence's. Its a fast course with a quick transition. 11th July

Thanks Rooney! Yes I am running the 8km loop currently. No shower facilities at work so not feasible with my job.

Thanks Rooney! Yes I am running the 8km loop currently. No shower facilities at work so not feasible with my job.

Baby wipes will also do the trick.

Pity. So if your doing the 8k as one of your runs then the other should be intervals. Maybe 400's or 800's until you get use to them. Then you could progress to 1200 or mile intervals. The latter a really good for building stamina at your goal pace. Intervals are also good on the treadmill as you just punch in the speed and try hang in there. Have a look at mcmillanrunning.com for some background reading in all your spare time.

Sure let us know how you get on, maybe you'll prove us wrong with the 7 sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm similar set up to you workwise & lack of breaks or time out during the day. I rely on the commute for biking and running mainly and swing by the pool in the mornings which will allow a shower on the days of biking (baby wipes and shower in a can work the rest of the time)

Run home = turbo evening or bike home = night run after the kids are in bed. We have specific night set aside (away from weekend) as date night for QT and then Saturday & Sunday evenings are family time.

Recently only closed on Sunday so with 1 full day for family now available I don't know what to do with my time now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

1:20 (or close to it) is doable with 7 sessions a week, but you'll need to hit the sessions consistently.
    Regarding your 8km run, I'd imagine that as a person with kids, job etc that getting out the door is the hard part. Any chance of getting that 40 minute run up to an hour, maybe 70 minutes? If you really can only run twice a week both runs need to count and getting in a good long run (easy pace) will make use of your time. A 5km sprint run will mentally feel a lot easier when you're regularly doing 12/14/16 km runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

A treadmill investment would also be a good if you have the space at home, very easy to get some additional running in and still be around.

Thanks for all the tips!

I am hoping that consistent trainer road (I am going to use their half distance low volume plan), with my 8km trail run (might extend as per advice here), and one other speed session, and the 2 swim groups, that my goal is achievable.

In terms of adjusting intensity for build and rest during the next 12 weeks, trainer road will take care of bike, my swim sets are finished, I guess I will just gradually increase the speed of 400/800m intervals while reducing rest as time goes by! Will keep you posted!

Advertisement