Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup - Semifinal 1 - New Zealand v South Africa

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Just watched the highlights, and I was wondering is there a rule to stop bowlers rolling the ball along the ground for the last few balls in order to prevent the batting team scoring 4's and 6's. Maybe it wouldn't be in the spirit of the game, or something like that, but if the SA bowler had bowled the last few balls along the ground they would have won?? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Underarm bowling was banned in 1981 after an Australia v New Zealand odi ended with an aussie bowling underarm with nz needing 6 from the last ball. Google it if you want, I cant link to it from my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Correct me if I'm wrong but a no ball is called if a ball bounces more than twice or rolls along the ground before reaching the crease. If a ball stops before it reaches the batsman then that is a no ball too. (Based on laws of cricket I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Underarm bowling was banned in 1981 after an Australia v New Zealand odi ended with an aussie bowling underarm with nz needing 6 from the last ball. Google it if you want, I cant link to it from my phone.

Thanks for that. Just watched that on Youtube. Seemed to be a lousy way to win a match alright. Impressed by Ritchie Benaud's comments on it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

maudgone wrote: »
    Maybe it wouldn't be in the spirit of the game, or something like that, but if the SA bowler had bowled the last few balls along the ground they would have won?? :confused::confused::confused:

I'd say if underarm along the ground was still legal & SA had resorted to it to win the match they'd have been lucky to get out of there alive. With that fever-pitch atmosphere building up for a nation over weeks, things would have gotten well beyond ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

maudgone wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Just watched that on Youtube. Seemed to be a lousy way to win a match alright. Impressed by Ritchie Benaud's comments on it afterwards.

It was the closest Australia and NZ have come to declaring war! caused a huge stir.

Advertisement