Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBS Master of Science in Information & Library Management

Options
  • 23-03-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of doing this course part time, I am hoping to get a part time job 22 hours in the new few weeks to help fund myself. I know UCD also offer courses in this area but I be interested to how others found it workload and the quality of lecturers and how helpful they were,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

I have two colleagues who did this course part time while cutting down their work hours, and while they were busy they both managed it alright. It's a lot of work. I know they both had different opinions on different lecturers and modules, but in general the quality of the course seems decent, the school seems to have a good reputation.

Be aware that the final project has changed to a group one, rather than an individual thesis. It made it kind of difficult for my colleague who had expected to write a thesis, as she had to make time to go and meet her group for meetings. They also had issues with ine member who didn't pull their weight, but each person in the group gets evaluated by the other members, so if someone is slacking off it won't go unnoticed by the supervisor. They did very well despite the hassle of this one member.

Another thing to note is that neither of my colleagues have gotten a librarian job from it so far. This is because the recession really cut into library work with the moratorium on public sector jobs. There is now a huge amount of competition for any library jobs that crop up in ireland, because any librarians who lost their jobs during the recession are looking for work and have lots of experience behind them, and there are also hundreds of graduates with the MLis being churned out each year from several different colleges into a relatively tiny pool of jobs.

So, it's increasingly difficult to find work in libraries, as they are mostly government jobs. Have a look at libraryjobs.ie and you'll see what I mean, they are few and far between. I would think carefully before doing this course, especially if you want to work in libraries, you may have to emigrate to get a job. As for where this degree is useful in the private sector, I'm afraid I don't have any knowledge but perhaps recent graduates of the course may be able to help you. You could try asking over on the UCD boards here, or get in touch with the course coordinator to ask what industries their graduates have found work in.

Advertisement