Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtown school - secondary

Options
  • 23-03-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Really appreciate some recent feedback (maybe last 4/5 years) on Newtown School - the secondary. Attracted to its stated ethos, the smaller size and the fact that it's mixed. Trying to find a good school for a shy kid, not very confident.
    Wondering how difficult is it to get into if not a boarder/member of a protestant denomination, child of staff etc etc.; how many years on waiting list is necessary? How strong are they on bullying? Is it elitist?
    Interested less in points/results and more in a well rounded education, in a supportive atmosphere. (I know - I'm very idealistic ☺️) Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newtown is not COI its multi-denominational based on Quaker roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Madeupname1

Newtown is not COI its multi-denominational based on Quaker roots.

Thanks, I know that but the admission criteria has preference for boarders and those eligible to apply for Secondary Education Committee Grants 2nd - this is grant available to Protestant denominations, which is why I mentioned COI etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Really appreciate some recent feedback (maybe last 4/5 years) on Newtown School - the secondary. Attracted to its stated ethos, the smaller size and the fact that it's mixed. Trying to find a good school for a shy kid, not very confident.
    Wondering how difficult is it to get into if not COI, child of staff etc etc.; how many years on waiting list is necessary? How strong are they on bullying? Is it elitist?
    Interested less in points/results and more in a well rounded education, in a supportive atmosphere. (I know - I'm very idealistic ☺️) Thanks!

My information would be about 10 years old, but I was aware of a number of parents who sent kids there after suffering bullying in other schools. It was percieved as being 'nicer' than some of the other schools on offer.

Traditionally I think they were more focused on the development of the individual rather than points, but I think they have being doing better academically in recent years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Wondering how difficult is it to get into if not a boarder/member of a protestant denomination, child of staff etc etc.; how many years on waiting list is necessary? How strong are they on bullying? Is it elitist?

My child went there for two years and I was very happy with it. Great, liberal atmosphere, where young people are allowed be themselves. A good, rounded education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Very hard to get in there now... I hear there is a waiting list and you have to pay a €50 non-refundable deposit to apply.

• Advertisement

mozattack wrote: »
    Very hard to get in there now... I hear there is a waiting list and you have to pay a €50 non-refundable deposit to apply.

Just shows that there's a need for more of those kind of schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Is Newtown following a public school now ?

Is Newtown following a public school now ?

Not sure what you mean by "following a public school". It's now in the public system, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

katydid wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by "following a public school". It's now in the public system, yes.
    Sorry if that was a little obfuscating for you. Yes that's what I meant.

Sorry if that was a little obfuscating for you. Yes that's what I meant.

No problem. I wasn't sure if you mean following the public school system as a private school :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I know at least 6 pupils that are in the junior cycle there at the moment. The parents are very happy with it. I'll ask one of the parents about getting in there when I see her tomorrow.

Advertisement