Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop squirrels from digging from pots?

Options
  • 23-03-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭

I have a potted garden as I live on the 1st floor of a block.

Ive just planted my seedlings for summer and came home yesterday to holes every where and compost out of my pots. It looked a right mess.

There are gray squirrels everywhere ( The Fing neighbour feeds them peanuts!!!)

Any one know of anything good that would keep them away off our roof terrace?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Following this to see if anyone has an answer!

Don't know if it's a cat or a squirrel or a fox who's at my pots out front, but I planted brand new bedding yesterday evening, and this morning half of it is all over the gravel :mad:

Any tips for putting the feckers off?

I'm going to stick some short lengths of bamboo as spikes among the plants, but it's not exactly a good look.

Anything I could add to the soil that they don't like (and won't kill birds or the plants)?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ya this is going to be an interesting. You could get frames made up to go over the pots until the plants came on, use that green netting they use for over cabbage or fine chicken wire to cover the frames with. Make the frames in a A shape form and fix netting to 3 sides and one you can close or am i going over board. Just goggled your problem Google is saying a dog, sprinklers to scare them, or cover plants

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Been watching David attenborough something he said reminded me about your problem, break up some hot chilies and spread them around your pots see dose it do any anything he reckons chilies were used to ward of small mammals.

Advertisement