Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celestron sct 6 inch, upgrades

Options
  • 23-03-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a celestron sct6 and I'm looking to upgrade it to 2 inch eye pieces reason for doing this, I will be getting a refractor scope with 2 inch eye pieces I will then be able to swop them between the 2 scopes

Would I need to change the back of the scope or can I just get a 2 inch diaganol and fit it to the scope

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Not all SCTs can be upgraded to 2".

Can you unscrew the visual back (the part you put the 1.25" diagonal into)?

If you're not sure post a photo of the rear of the scope.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭itsme1284

Hi Michael
    I think I can unscrew the piece at the back will check when I get home is it easy to upgrade if I can

Hi Michael

Yes I can unscrew the back were the diagonal goes
    itsme1284 wrote: »
    Hi Michael
    I think I can unscrew the piece at the back will check when I get home is it easy to upgrade if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

You should be good to go then.

Do you have your 2" diagonal yet?
    I bought the Celestron 2" eyepiece kit and it came with a diagonal and an adaptor to screw into an SCT and also a Refractor.
    itsme1284 wrote: »
    Hi Michael

Yes I can unscrew the back were the diagonal goes

No haven't got the 2 inch diagonal yet, was thinking of getting the williams optics one,
    Have the celestron 1.25 eye pieces kit will be selling those to fund the diagonal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The rear aperture of the C6 is 28mm (determined by the centre baffle and secondary size), so any eyepieces that have a larger field stop than that will start to vignette at the edge, and things closer to the edge will be darker.

Having said that, some of the nicer eyepieces may come in 2" form factor only (thinking of one of the 100 degree eyepiece ranges) and doing the modification to the scope would allow you to use these eyepieces.

The extra weight of the diagonal and the 2" eyepieces may have an effect on your mount and being able to balance the scope.

Advertisement