Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music practical

Options
  • 23-03-2015 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi, my son is doing music for Junior Cert and he has a practical to do. he tells me he needs backing tracks. Anyone know if I can get them online or from iTunes instead of going looking from them locally or am I better to do that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Gooners wrote: »
    Hi, my son is doing music for Junior Cert and he has a practical to do. he tells me he needs backing tracks. Anyone know if I can get them online or from iTunes instead of going looking from them locally or am I better to do that?

Backing tracks are way easier to source online (I'm a secondary school music teacher). Can you give more info on what type of tracks he's after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

Backing tracks are way easier to source online (I'm a secondary school music teacher). Can you give more info on what type of tracks he's after?

Hi Thank you so much for your reply. He is doing 2 popular songs so I suppose it will be easy enough get tracks. Would he be better to do songs not popular?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi Thank you so much for your reply. He is doing 2 popular songs so I suppose it will be easy enough get tracks. Would he be better to do songs not popular?

It's the Junior Cert.. He should pick things he can play competently. Ideally showing different styles, but don't worry. No-one is looking for Mozart.

As spurious said the performance is the key, so long as he is comfortable and can perform them well that's fine. Tracks are widely available via iTunes in the original key. If he needs them transposed a little then karaoke-version.com is a good option. If they need to be transposed a lot then he would need an accompanist and a different piece may be easier. It's important to be very very comfortable with the backing track, hence my preference for karaoke version because you can also get the guide vocals track to practise with. Some itunes albums have them, others don't. It's a good option ifs available

As spurious said the performance is the key, so long as he is comfortable and can perform them well that's fine. Tracks are widely available via iTunes in the original key. If he needs them transposed a little then karaoke-version.com is a good option. If they need to be transposed a lot then he would need an accompanist and a different piece may be easier. It's important to be very very comfortable with the backing track, hence my preference for karaoke version because you can also get the guide vocals track to practise with. Some itunes albums have them, others don't. It's a good option ifs available

sorry to be a pain but I don't understand transposed

• Advertisement

sorry to be a pain but I don't understand transposed

You aren't! It just means moving the pitch. He might need to if he finds it too low or too high to sing. He needs to be comfortable at all parts of the song and not be straining

You aren't! It just means moving the pitch. He might need to if he finds it too low or too high to sing. He needs to be comfortable at all parts of the song and not be straining

Ok thanks. Is the song at all important or just the technique?

Advertisement