Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham Asylum/city Remaster - coming this year

Options
  • 23-03-2015 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

A compilation release featuring earlier titles in the Batman: Arkham series is coming to PS4 and Xbox One later this year, VideoGamer.com understands.

The information was provided by a trusted industry source prior to IGN Italy's report this morning, which also claims that Arkham Asylum and Arkham City will both release on current-gen consoles this Christmas.

VideoGamer.com also understands that the collection will release at the end of the year, after this June's release of Batman: Arkham Knight, with the games set to run in 1080p.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/batman_arkham_asylum/news/batman_arkham_collection_ps4_and_xbox_one_remaster_coming_later_this_year.html

I love me some remasters :3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Oh for the Love of God, just Stop!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've played the first 2 already but foolishly traded them in. If theres a reasonably priced collection that includes the newest game, I'll be all over that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will probably just be the PC versions which were significantly better than the last gen versions with lots of current gen bells and whistles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair this doesn't fit into the 'buying time until we release the proper sequel' category of remasters, since the proper sequel will be out before this is released. So yeah can't see any reasonable objection with this - buy it or not, carry on with one's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Odd if they leave out origins though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Why complain about remasters? You dont need to buy it, if someone hasnt played these games it gives them a great chance to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

cloud493 wrote: »
    Odd if they leave out origins though.

I'd say Rocksteady don't consider Origins to be a part of their series of games. Their trilogy is Asylum, City and Knight.

It is a shame though as Origins is every bit as good as the first two.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would hope/like to think all these remasters are paving the way for backward compatibility being standard in future console generations. A man can dream I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

sugarman wrote: »
    Because game studios are wasting time and money redeveloping old games that don't need to be touched. Especially last gen stuff is ridiculous.

Would you not rather they plough on with a new game of the series instead? And focus on that bring top notch and well polished? As well as having it released quicker. I know I do.

Yet there's no evidence remasters stop new games being made?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

See, this is what happens when BC is left out of consoles combined with a lack of new releases and IPs.

Look at the 360's first 18 months on the market, it hit the ground running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

cloud493 wrote: »
    Yet there's no evidence remasters stop new games being made?

If anything it might give a smaller dev a chance porting a game and optimizing it for current gen consoles. Showing publishers and people with the money what they are capable of

• Another unneeded remaster....taking the piss at this stage

facepalm-don-draper.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I would hope/like to think all these remasters are paving the way for backward compatibility being standard in future console generations. A man can dream I suppose.

Sure, as long as the platform holder can charge you to play the games you own already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Remasters fine.. but give us the whole collection if you are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Never played Asylum so will pick it up for PS4 for the right price but would prefer just general BC though, missed a good few games on PS3 (i.e. never had one) so would like to be able to play them easily on PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agree with Johnny in that it's strange that this is being released (possibly missing a title) after the New Gen release. Would be a nice collection (whole trilogy) this year if Arkham Knight wasn't out until 2016 or 17. Still hoping Mass Effect Trilogy hits New Gen some time this year to tide me over til the next Mass Effect, especially as I missed on a good bit of the DLC and played ME1 on PC with minimum settings.

My favourite games on PS4 over the last 6 months have been Last of Us, GTA V and Resident Evil. All dirty smelly remasters...

Back to Batman, this smells of a Christmas cash grab (more than the usual remaster). I probably would have picked it up if it was released Christmas just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I already replayed these games on PC @ 1080 and over 60fps so this is of no interest to me but it's pretty face-palm worthy to see yet another unnecessary remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I don't mind remasters for certain PS2 era titles and older. But re-making games that were released on consoles which are still very far from being defunct is just money grabbing.

That being said, they wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a market of people out there only too willing to buy a game 2/3 times.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sure, as long as the platform holder can charge you to play the games you own already.

They'd have to port the games to give backward compatibility this gen (with xbox anyway, don't know about PS), what I'm hoping is that won't be the case with the next gen. It's probably a pipe dream of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sick of this remastering sh*te.

New idea please.

• Advertisement

I dunno lads, the hate for the remasters is a bit strong. If you don't want them, don't buy them, simple as. its grand for most of us on here who probably have the last gen systems, but shouldn't little johnny who buys his ps4 / xbox one with his confirmation or birthday money, get a shot at playing some of the best games of the last gen?

And moaning that there's no backwards compatibility doesn't wash for me either - if you loved them so much, you would have held onto the original consoles to play them.

The thing with most of these 'remasters' is that, for the most part, they're PC ports, not actual recodings of the original games (with the exception being sony's first party titles like The Last of Us) so its unfair to say that they're holding back backwards compatibility on a hardware level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Little Johnny ruins everything. I wish he would grow up and get a job. He's been making his confirmation for the last 10 years.

The backwards compatibility issue is more aimed at convenience. Many current gen owners still own last gen titles. Not everyone trades in or sells on. It just takes up another space under the TV.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Little Johnny ruins everything. I wish he would grow up and get a job. He's been making his confirmation for the last 10 years.

The backwards compatibility issue is more aimed at convenience. Many current gen owners still own last gen titles. Not everyone trades in or sells on. It just takes up another space under the TV.

Its not really about convenience though is it? people hang onto N64's , mega drives etc because they love the games. if your games on the previous gen mean that much to you, you'd hold onto the system.

I can see the appeal of Backwards compatibility - if the PS4 had BC, i'd buy one tomorrow, but mostly so I could play all the exclusives I missed from not owning a PS3.

As for the economics of it, we could go down a deep rabbit hole about how the cost of new games has largely remained unchanged for years etc, etc, but this thread is about batman :)

p.s. Agreed - little johnny is b0llix.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

I'd say Rocksteady don't consider Origins to be a part of their series of games. Their trilogy is Asylum, City and Knight.

It is a shame though as Origins is every bit as good as the first two.

There is also the issue of Origins having that multiplayer mode. Probably too much of a hassle to rip it out.

And like you said, it is a shame, I really did enjoy origins as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

This sort of stuff is the reason why I haven't bought a PS4 or Xbone, and probably never will.
    All this remastering of games that are only a year or two old means theat there's little or no original IPs on the next gen (or current gen if you're pedantic).
    Then there's the whole thing of GOTY editions. Where's the incentive to buy on release and pay decent money for DLC, when 6-12 months later it'll all be lumped together with a budget pricetag?
    I hate the PC users' term "master race", but they are definitely intellectually superior to the people who cough up time after time and facilitate publishers peddling this BS.

It's the nature of the games industry at the moment. Games like Tomb Raider only hit publisher expectations for sales with the release of the Remastered or whatever they call it edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

If you don't want the game don't buy the game. I never got round to these titles on PS3 and now that they're coming to PS4 as a collection at a reasonable price I'll be more than happy to pick it up seeing as they were so well received.

The amount of negativity in the gaming community is f***ing toxic. There is a market out there for re-releasing your games. Why wouldn't they do it?

P.S. If you want a new Batman game there's one coming out this summer called Arkham Knight. I suggest you check it out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    If you don't want the game don't buy the game. I never got round to these titles on PS3 and now that they're coming to PS4 as a collection at a reasonable price I'll be more than happy to pick it up seeing as they were so well received.

The amount of negativity in the gaming community is f***ing toxic. There is a market out there for re-releasing your games. Why wouldn't they do it?

P.S. If you want a new Batman game there's one coming out this summer called Arkham Knight. I suggest you check it out :p

Couldn't agree more. I missed these games in the last gen so am looking forward to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This sort of stuff is the reason why I haven't bought a PS4 or Xbone, and probably never will.
    All this remastering of games that are only a year or two old means theat there's little or no original IPs on the next gen (or current gen if you're pedantic).
    The team which work on the remaster are rarely, if ever, the main team working on the next iteration of the franchise. Hell, quite often they're not even the same studio.
    Then there's the whole thing of GOTY editions. Where's the incentive to buy on release and pay decent money for DLC, when 6-12 months later it'll all be lumped together with a budget pricetag?
    Because people don't want to wait up to a year to play a game in order to save a couple of quid?
    I hate the PC users' term "master race", but they are definitely intellectually superior to the people who cough up time after time and facilitate publishers peddling this BS.
    Remasters aren't aimed at people who have already bought the game on the previous generation. They're primarily aimed at those who would have missed out on said title originally, either through not having the console it was released on, selling the console to fuel another purchase before getting around to it or simply not bothering at the time at all. There are plenty of people on both this thread and others which fall into this category. There are also those who would have loved the game when it originally came out and have no problem shelling out for it again if it was re-released with noteworthy improvements. There's plenty of those folk too.

Intellectually superior certainly isn't a term I'd use to describe the demographic that aren't aware of the above and prefer to moan that titles are being developed which aren't for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I dunno lads, the hate for the remasters is a bit strong.

I don't think the hate is aimed at remasters in general, more the perceived need to remaster games that are still relatively young and fresh (Arkham Asylum is 2009 and City is 2011) These are huge games available on tons of platforms already, There are people who didn't own a seventh gen console or a PC, but it does seem like taking the piss when publishers are "remastering" games still hot from the printing press... And because there's been such a drought of big games since the 8th gen launched, there's the perception that it's catalog is full of older games you may already have, which can be annoying after dropping several hundred euro on the machine.

What i feel really NEEDS a remaster (and need really is the key work) are older, not so readily available titles. Imagine a remastered collection of Jet Set Radio/Jet Set Radio Future, or the Soul Reaver games, maybe include the option of more contemporary control schemes or alter design and other issues from the first time round...a true "remastering", not just slap HD all over it.

Advertisement