Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do about angry dogs next door?

• 23-03-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi guys , since the weather is getting better my neighbours have been leaving their four terriers outside now I like pets I do , but these guys absolutely hate everyone, really aggressive dogs , whenever I walk outside to my back they are going mad trying get through the fence to get to me , I have tried talking to the neighbours about them they said not there problem , there dogs it what they do but I cant even go outside with my daughter they are going mad barking I'm afraid it will turn her off dogs as they go crazy any advice, a friend said to get her dog and leave it outside in back to frighten them or to show dominance or something but I don't know .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

No dog is going to show "dominance" to these dogs. Not in your garden, or their garden or anywhere, because it doesn't exist. What's the dog going to do? Strut around your garden, maybe cock his leg against the fence? It's not as if his presence is going to make them less territorial. I'm afraid that all a dog in your garden will do is antagonise them even further. Dogs are territorial and in their minds they're protecting their territory. Sometimes it's not so bad with one dog but with 4 they're probably revving each other up and becoming more frenzied.

If it were me I would go completely opposite and throw a few treats over the fence. If they begin to associate you with something positive like getting treats, they may start to react differently and realise you're not a threat to them. I would bear in mind that this might annoy your neighbour though, some people don't like other people feeding their dogs, but if they act as if they don't give a hoot if they're getting worked up in the garden then I doubt they'd care if they got a few extra treats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP do you stay outside when they bark or go in? My dog will bark at any strangers near our back garden but once he get's used to the scent he stops. I don't leave him out barking annoying people btw but at the same time I don't discourage him from protecting the house. My neighbours sheds were being broken into a few months ago their own dog and my guy barked the place down - I took him in though oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My parents were having a similar problem last year with a new neighbours dogs. Every single time my parents went out to their garden the dogs were going insane and barking for ages. It was particularly bad when the woman went out all day most days and left them in the garden. My parents just started talking to the dogs while they were out there, getting them used to their voices and it's a lot better. Tbh, I don't know how they didn't throttle the owner, there were so many times that I left early because I just couldn't cope any longer with yappy little dogs barking almost constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

thanks think I'm gonna try be nice and give a few treats when they see me just to see if it works for now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

get a staffy and unleash him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

My terriers bark at my neighbour when she is out the back,when they can't see her when she pops her head up or talks to them they stop,,few treats aswell won't hurt,only throw the treats when they stop barking.

Or they will bark for treats.

deadwood85 wrote:
    My terriers bark at my neighbour when she is out the back,when they can't see her when she pops her head up or talks to them they stop,,few treats aswell won't hurt,only throw the treats when they stop barking.

deadwood85 wrote:
    Or they will bark for treats.

thanks deadwood85, might just start going out even twice a day so they will get use to me. pity as when I see them being taken for a walk they seem nice.

Roquentin wrote:
    get a staffy and unleash him

once again your advice is just wow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

once again your advice is just wow

the terriers wont know whats hit them once you unleash the staffy.

staffys are actually are (despite the bad press) very nice dogs. very loyal and playful. But like any dog, territorial with the added incentive that they pack pound for pound one of the strongest bites in the canine world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Roquentin,
    Do not post in this thread again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

a few treats can work wonders. will take a bit of time but you could retrain them by seeing if they'll stop barking when you come outside and then reward.
    i feel sorry for the dogs, seems to me they have crap owners. dogs who are exercised and trained don't behave like this and good owners would be aware and respectful of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oscar15

Roquentin - not all staffies are territorial. Mine wasn't. You are doing the breed a great disservice by posting things like 'unleash the staffy' as if they are all aggressive dogs. And what does it matter if they have strong jaws? My staffy was the most gentle, loving dog you could hope to meet - and he was very typical of his breed.

It is about the way they are reared, as with all dogs, and people making uninformed comments like yours adds to the myths and bad press around a fabulous breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Oscar15 wrote: »
    Roquentin - not all staffies are territorial. Mine wasn't. You are doing the breed a great disservice by posting things like 'unleash the staffy' as if they are all aggressive dogs. And what does it matter if they have strong jaws? My staffy was the most gentle, loving dog you could hope to meet - and he was very typical of his breed.

It is about the way they are reared, as with all dogs, and people making uninformed comments like yours adds to the myths and bad press around a fabulous breed.

Going to play devil's advocate here, while it is abhorrent to suggest to resolve a problem by introducing canine aggression, it is actually well documented that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are involved in more dog attacks.

Please find here a scientific article on same, and here a media report that my be more engaging to a layperson.

Less scientific is an article that purports a tenous link between the personality of the owner (agressive) and the ensuing personality of the dog (canine aggressive).

Just to clarify in case there's any doubt, staffies are underrepresented when it comes to human bites, but overrepresented when it comes to dog-on-dog bites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Going to play devil's advocate here, while it is abhorrent to suggest to resolve a problem by introducing canine aggression, it is actually well documented that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are involved in more dog attacks.

Please find here a scientific article on same, and here a media report that my be more engaging to a layperson.

Less scientific is an article that purports a tenous link between the personality of the owner (agressive) and the ensuing personality of the dog (canine aggressive).

Just to clarify in case there's any doubt, staffies are underrepresented when it comes to human bites, but overrepresented when it comes to dog-on-dog bites.

Neither of those articles say it is Staffies that are responsible, they state bull breeds, including Staffies.

The problem with issues like this is that the general public is notoriously bad at identifying breeds properly. They will call a Staffy a Pit Bull, they may also identify a labrador cross a Pit Bull. The same as any medium to large sized fluffy dog with upright ears and a curly tail is a husky, no matter if it is actually an akita, a malamute, or indeed a husky. So statistics are skewed because the reporting is inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oscar15

As I said in my previous post it is about the way they are reared.

Unfortunately a lot of people are attracted to staffies because they think they are 'tough', and when these people find they have in fact got a four stone lapdog they either abandon them or treat them very badly in an attempt to get them to behave aggressively.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Neither of those articles say it is Staffies that are responsible, they state bull breeds, including Staffies.

The problem with issues like this is that the general public is notoriously bad at identifying breeds properly. They will call a Staffy a Pit Bull, they may also identify a labrador cross a Pit Bull. The same as any medium to large sized fluffy dog with upright ears and a curly tail is a husky, no matter if it is actually an akita, a malamute, or indeed a husky. So statistics are skewed because the reporting is inaccurate.
    • Just out of interest, did you read either of the articles or just the abstracts?
    • And if so, in what way are you unhappy specifically with the statistics?

• Just out of interest, did you read either of the articles or just the abstracts?
    • And if so, in what way are you unhappy specifically with the statistics?

Just the abstract, and the Daily Torygraph article.

I've already explained why I'm unhappy with the statistics, did you read my reply? ;)

Oscar15 wrote: »
    As I said in my previous post it is about the way they are reared.

Unfortunately a lot of people are attracted to staffies because they think they are 'tough', and when these people find they have in fact got a four stone lapdog they either abandon them or treat them very badly in an attempt to get them to behave aggressively.

The second article supports this viewpoint, but is less scientific.

Just the abstract, and the Daily Torygraph article.

I've already explained why I'm unhappy with the statistics, did you read my reply? ;)

Torygraph, that's a good one, must remember it! :D

Having analysed the paper in full, the statistics support bull terriers including Staffordshires as being over-represented in dog-on-dog aggression. The most pertinent supporting statistic would be that bull breeds constitute roughly 5.9% of the UK dog population, but accounted for 45.7% of the aggressors in the study (completed over nearly 3 years looking at 100 victims - guide dogs).

Obviously as per the second article and the sentiment expressed by the poster above, there could indeed be a link between the owner's behaviour and that of bull terriers including Staffordshires.

The character of such owners could also be extricated from the fact that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are over-represented in animal rescue charities (possibly due to being unwanted).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

Do not get a dog to overpower the other dogs.

This is a wrong reason to get a dog which is a huge commitment, not a solution to a problem.

If treats don't work,

ONLY IF IT IS SAFE TO DO THIS; you might get owners to introduce dogs individually without other dogs present to you (and without other dogs being aware of what's going on so they don't get frenzied). Owner and you would have to be knowledgeable about how to do this, so it may not be possible. It requires owner being very aware of his dog's behaviour - when it is getting tense, when it is going to snap at you. If you could pet the dog in this safe way it might stop them barking at you later. DO NOT DO THIS IF ANY DOUBTS ABOUT YOUR SAFETY OR OWNER'S ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THEIR DOGS AND DO THIS SAFELY.

• Advertisement

Torygraph, that's a good one, must remember it! :D

Having analysed the paper in full, the statistics support bull terriers including Staffordshires as being over-represented in dog-on-dog aggression. The most pertinent supporting statistic would be that bull breeds constitute roughly 5.9% of the UK dog population, but accounted for 45.7% of the aggressors in the study (completed over nearly 3 years looking at 100 victims - guide dogs).

Obviously as per the second article and the sentiment expressed by the poster above, there could indeed be a link between the owner's behaviour and that of bull terriers including Staffordshires.

The character of such owners could also be extricated from the fact that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are over-represented in animal rescue charities (possibly due to being unwanted).

You stated Staffordshire Bull Terriers, the article states bull breeds including Staffies.

Also, you still don't seem to be understanding my point. The statistics are based on information given by people, I don't have the time, or the inclination now to go and find the articles or the test that has been done so many times on so many websites, that show how people mis-identify dog breeds more often than they identify them correctly. So someone may well present at an A&E department stating they have been bitten by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but there is no proof that it was indeed that breed that bit them. Without proof of breed, the statistics are useless.

You stated Staffordshire Bull Terriers, the article states bull breeds including Staffies.

I said including Staffordshires.
    Also, you still don't seem to be understanding my point. The statistics are based on information given by people, I don't have the time, or the inclination now to go and find the articles or the test that has been done so many times on so many websites, that show how people mis-identify dog breeds more often than they identify them correctly.

I think it's important to base any discussion upon evidence, it lends more credence to a viewpoint. Unfortunately there will always be limitations and improvements that could be made to any study, but the relevant statistics are dramatically in favour of the notion that Staffies are over-represented in dog-on-dog aggression.
    So someone may well present at an A&E department stating they have been bitten by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but there is no proof that it was indeed that breed that bit them. Without proof of breed, the statistics are useless.

As stated before, this is playing devil's advocate to the populist notion that Staffordshire Bull Terrier's are over-represented for canine, not human, bites.

I don't want to upset any staffie lovers but as far as I am aware, they are on Ireland's restricted breed list. I haven't checked before writing this and am going from memory.

If they are, which I suspect, then there is a reason for that. It didn't happen because those who were consulted when composing this list just somehow completely misunderstands the breed.

The impression I have of bull breeds in general concurs with DerT's point that they seem like a nice breed for the owners but I wouldn't trust them with other dogs.

I do know people who have had staffies and I found them to be gentle, lively, intelligent and friendly. I still wouldn't trust them with dogs and I presume this might be why they are on the restricted breed list - people can get hurt in the melee of a dog fight and if they are inclined to get in to dog fights then that might be why they are on the list.

Unfortunately some hard chaws want to own them and they give the breed a bad name by their own look and if they encourage the dog to be aggressive while putting more stuff around their dog's neck than Mr.T does around his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Regarding the stats, isn't it possible that that bull breeds are over represented because they are so strong that they are likely to be more damaging, therefore you are not counting frequency but severity.

My dog got attacked by a very large rottie on Sunday. Was I meant to report this to someone to assist in the collation of statistic?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

shaymus27 wrote: »
    I don't want to upset any staffie lovers but as far as I am aware, they are on Ireland's restricted breed list. I haven't checked before writing this and am going from memory.

If they are, which I suspect, then there is a reason for that. It didn't happen because those who were consulted when composing this list just somehow completely misunderstands the breed.

The impression I have of bull breeds in general concurs with DerT's point that they seem like a nice breed for the owners but I wouldn't trust them with other dogs.

I do know people who have had staffies and I found them to be gentle, lively, intelligent and friendly. I still wouldn't trust them with dogs and I presume this might be why they are on the restricted breed list - people can get hurt in the melee of a dog fight and if they are inclined to get in to dog fights then that might be why they are on the list.

Unfortunately some hard chaws want to own them and they give the breed a bad name by their own look and if they encourage the dog to be aggressive while putting more stuff around their dog's neck than Mr.T does around his neck.

You should do a little research into the restricted breeds list to be honest. Its not there because of what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/unmuzzleireland?fref=ts

Regarding the stats, isn't it possible that that bull breeds are over represented because they are so strong that they are likely to be more damaging, therefore you are not counting frequency but severity.

With regards to this particular study, veterinary attention was only required in 41% of attacks reported, so both the frequency and severity (as you put it), are factored in.
    My dog got attacked by a very large rottie on Sunday. Was I meant to report this to someone to assist in the collation of statistic?!

No, this was a study done in the UK in 2010 on a guide dog population of 100 or so over 3 years.

Rotties are on the restricted breed list.

They should be on a lead and muzzled in all public places at all times.

You should report this to the police and local authority dog control unit if the rottie was off lead and unmuzzled.

Look up restricted breeds on line and this should confirm what I wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

With regards to this particular study, veterinary attention was only required in 41% of attacks reported, so both the frequency and severity (as you put it), are factored in.

No, this was a study done in the UK in 2010 on a guide dog population of 100 or so over 3 years.

I'm sorry and this sounds bad, but how the feck are people who have guide dogs meant to identify staffies from any other breed when people with adequate vision have difficulty??

shaymus27 wrote: »
    I don't want to upset any staffie lovers but as far as I am aware, they are on Ireland's restricted breed list.

They are, see S.I. No. 442/1998 Control of Dogs Regulation:
    (j) Staffordshire Bull Terrier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I know they are on the restricted breed list. But I choose to deal with the situation in a different way. Thank you though.

Advertisement