Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elance experience

Options
  • 23-03-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Have any of you used Elance, if so, what has your experience been like? I've used it and had a number of experiences all as follows (one of each).

SLOW
    The first was delayed by a number of weeks. what was meant to be a 3 week project ended up being an unfinished 13 week project with a partial refund made.

Scam
    I awarded another job to a web designed who changed his mind about an hour in, claimed he had finished it though he didn't start it, froze my funds for a week whilst they investigated. I got reimbursed, but this caused a major inconvenience to cash flow.

Fine
    My current web designer is good & fast; and works for a very reasonable rate.

Have any of you had experienced with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Ive been using elance now for about 5 years

Good Experiences

Web Development: I used a Vietnamese development company for a website that I couldnt find anyone here to do the job I wanted and they did it brilliantly and have stuck with them all the way for the last 5 years, they insist on doing everything through elance (i have offered to pay them directly) and its worked very well between us.

Legal: I had an issue with a client who wanted me to sign a IP contract, sent to me at 5pm on a Friday and told me to sign before Monday morning i.e in 30minutes. my own solicitor was off elsewhere so i went onto elance ands search contract law ireland, I found a solicitor in Cork and he called me back straight away (5.10pm), he gave me advice over the phone - obviously not to sign the contract and I have kept him as my solicitor since then.

Copywriting/Business plans: I needed help with a business plan, copywriting etc and found a guy in Wicklow who was very efficient and helped in a big way.

People will always say to use local freelancers but it doesn't matter, I just happened to use 2 or 3 that were local. The legal issue I had, a guy in london gave me similar advice to the Irish guy.

Bad Experience

SEO!!!

I've used about 4 different SEO "consultants" all different prices but found them all useless.

Its trial and error like anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 EIREX

Hi OP,

Have had a couple of experiences myself with both of the major freelancer intermediaries on the internet.

For me too it has been hit and miss. I had one freelancer in the US tell me they could no longer complete the job at all one days before the delivery date. It was a quick 7 day job and they had indicated progress was good so that was disappointing. The person had great reviews too.

I had a website built by a guy in the US who did a great job....eventually..... but communication was slow at times with the time difference (US West Coast) and he did try to get away with producing crap at first.

I generally steer clear of anyone who sends me a generic response to my problem, who uses sales agents to approach me, who's price is either really low or really volatile and those with tons of feedback as I suspect they just pump out loads of generic crap and are not great at custom solutions.

Along with a skype call with the person these rules have generally served me very well, but it is a minefield out there.

Advertisement