Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mogwai - Cork Opera House - June 17

Options
  • 23-03-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Cork Opera House presents

MOGWAI

with special guest RM Hubbert

Cork Opera House
    Wednesday June 17
    Doors 8pm

Tickets €30 (upstairs seated) & €27.50 (downstairs standing) plus booking fee

On 26 June 1995, Mogwai gathered together in the Glasgow living room of Stuart Braithwaite’s parents to rehearse together for the first time. 20 years later, almost to the week, the genre-defining Scottish outfit play their first ever show in Cork, taking place at Cork Opera House on Wednesday, June 17.

2014's Rave Tapes was Mogwai's ninth studio album (including their excellent soundtrack album for French zombie series, 'Les Revenants') and was their highest charting album to date, entering the UK Top 10. The band are currently on a world tour marking their 20th year and recently released a deluxe edition of their classic 1999 album, Come On Die Young, as well as a new EP, Music Industry 3. Fitness Industry 1.

Mogwai have evolved their sound and instrumentation over the last two decades, and it is no more apparent than on Rave Tapes; an album filled with pulsing, oscillating synths, layered over Kraut-rock textures and vocoder-drenched lyrics.

Tickets go on sale at 9am on Friday 27 March from usual outlets and Cork Opera House Booking Office

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

woohoo-this will make up for leaving them after half an hour at EP last year to go see slowdive!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Thurs 18 June - Olympia, Dublin - NEW DATE ADDED
    with support from RM Hubbert

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dublin, lovely :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

Hoping to get seated tickets for the cork gig. Do you reckon they'll sell out fast or what?

Tbh I'm a bit disappointed though looking at their setlists from their recent gigs. They have so many amazing songs that they just simply don't ever play, even from newer albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

ngcxt6 wrote: »
    Hoping to get seated tickets for the cork gig. Do you reckon they'll sell out fast or what?

Tbh I'm a bit disappointed though looking at their setlists from their recent gigs. They have so many amazing songs that they just simply don't ever play, even from newer albums.
    Yeah I saw them in Primavera last year and was completely underwhelmed. Too much of the latest album or two

Yeah I saw them in Primavera last year and was completely underwhelmed. Too much of the latest album or two

It's not even that imo, they just seem to play song that are average, for example they seem to play Rano Pano quite a lot, yet I don't think they've ever played You're Lionel Richie. Which would be a much better song imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

It's not even that imo, they just seem to play song that are average, for example they seem to play Rano Pano quite a lot, yet I don't think they've ever played You're Lionel Richie. Which would be a much better song imo.

Rano Pano is a great song. As is everything on Hardcore, in fact.

That last album isnt great though, their set at primavera was soon after it's release. So it was mostly that they played.

i love rave tapes and the ep they released subsequently even more so..... mogwai live never fail to disappoint!

• Advertisement

Quick one. I picked up a ticket for the Olympia just now and booked it in the circle. I would prefer to be standing.
    Would it be possible to go into the standing section with this ticket, or will I get stopped?

Got tickets to the opera house. Bit disappointed they didn't offer any seated tickets however, don't fancy standing but what can you do.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Quick one. I picked up a ticket for the Olympia just now and booked it in the circle. I would prefer to be standing.
    Would it be possible to go into the standing section with this ticket, or will I get stopped?
    Yeah you will only be let into the circle are, they wont let you down to standing

Got myself standing for the Olympia. Haven't seen Mogwai before so looking forward to it :)

Yeah you will only be let into the circle are, they wont let you down to standing

ah no big deal, I just noticed the seat I got is "restricted viewing". Of course, you could have loads of restrictions in the standing area too.

In general, it seems like a good location, looking forward to it.

If I was down in Limk, I'd prefer to go and see them in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Got tickets to the opera house. Bit disappointed they didn't offer any seated tickets however, don't fancy standing but what can you do.

It's standing downstairs and seated upstairs, both were/are available.

comet wrote: »
    It's standing downstairs and seated upstairs, both were/are available.

Not when I was selecting, I hit the drop down box and the only option was "standing"

what a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Saw them in 2009 on the first of their 3 shows in a row at The Academy.

Great set finishing in a wall of feedback.

Their recent stuff since The Hawk Is Howling have been of less interest to be honest.

roll wrote: »
    i love rave tapes and the ep they released subsequently even more so..... mogwai live never fail to disappoint!

Double negative? Never fail to do well, or never disappoint.

Not gone on rave tapes but this is hardcore is a decent album

• Advertisement

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Double negative? Never fail to do well, or never disappoint.

ouch-that was amateurish... tix bought for dublin and cork suggests bad grammar/sentence construction! :D

Ticket for cork arrived today. anybody else get theirs?
    Anybody want to trade a seated ticket for my standing one? :o

I got my Dublin ticket yesterday. Hadn't realised it was their 20th anniversary tour. Hopefully that means a good mix of tracks played.

Any idea who the supporting act is, if any?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Really enjoyed the gig tonight....ears are going to be ringing for days...amateur mistake.

Really enjoyed the gig tonight....ears are going to be ringing for days...amateur mistake.

Good to hear, looking forward to the Dublin gig tomorrow :)

Absolutely fantastic show! Think they were having a bit of sound trouble at the start though but by the end it was all sorted.

I am absolutely thrilled they played
    Black Spider
    and
    Tracy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Absolutely fantastic show! Think they were having a bit of sound trouble at the start though but by the end it was all sorted.

I am absolutely thrilled they played
    Black Spider
    and
    Tracy

Ye was a great set really. Highlight for me was
    My Father, My King

Ye was a great set really. Highlight for me was
    My Father, My King

Yeah that was really something, blew me away. I also loved
    I know you are but what am I
    . But they often play that so it was to be expected.

I kinda got the impression not many people knew
    black spider
    , maybe because it's not an album everyone would be interested in picking up.

• Advertisement

I didn't know a whole lot apart from the Hardcore Will Never Die and Rave Tapes tracks, and one or two from the 90s, but they were outstanding. Sequenced the set list marvellously, no chance for a lull.

Was amused to see the couples in their 50s and 60s in the seats at the back on my way in. Don't know if they knew what they were getting themselves in for.

Advertisement