Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mogwai - Cork Opera House - June 17

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I didn't know a whole lot apart from the Hardcore Will Never Die and Rave Tapes tracks, and one or two from the 90s, but they were outstanding. Sequenced the set list marvellously, no chance for a lull.

Was amused to see the couples in their 50s and 60s in the seats at the back on my way in. Don't know if they knew what they were getting themselves in for.

There was a fair mix of ages at the gig, they're popular amongst all ages I think. Yeah I like how they don't bullshít around between each song, it straight to the point.

Biggest downside for me was people talking during quiet parts of the tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Looking froward to this tonight. I'll be in the pit in the Olympia, a great vantage point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Bring ear protection, was at the back of the tent for them at EP last year cos it was dry and i needed a sit down at that stage.

Think it was mid november before my ears forgave me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What time did they come on? Can't find any set times on Twitter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Birneybau wrote: »
    What time did they come on? Can't find any set times on Twitter.

About 9:10 last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fúcking class

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Bring ear protection, was at the back of the tent for them at EP last year cos it was dry and i needed a sit down at that stage.

The only thing I've been able to hear today is a high pitched ringing.

That and the riff to My Father My King has been playing non stop in in my head since last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

unreal. I'm deaf. But unreal. Question. Why does The Olympia sell you a seat ticket where you are stuck behind a f*cking pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mike Girkin

Could anyone tell me what tracks did they play yesterday?
    I am incredibly impressed by them, unreal show, really good piece of music.

No need. I've found it on setlist.fm.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Show in the Olympia was LOUD last night. Great stuff, the setlist was unusual as well.

What was wrong with the guitarist at the end though? Looked totally out of it, don't think he strummed the guitar once in the last 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Show in the Olympia was LOUD last night. Great stuff, the setlist was unusual as well.

What was wrong with the guitarist at the end though? Looked totally out of it, don't think he strummed the guitar once in the last 5 minutes

Bit strange from the guitarist all right, he was locked I'd say.
    Great setlist, way way better than the last time I saw them at Primavera last year. Good to see them playing completely different songs each night, they're obviously enjoying it

My first time seeing them, but I've seen plenty of live stuff online and have the live album/dvd they put out a few years back.

Good to see the setlist last night was quite different to other shows.

I didn't take any notice of the guitarist on the last song, but I had my eyes closed at that stage, and was soaking it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

First time seeing them not at a festival, was blown away. Glad I had my ear plugs in, learned my lesson after Swans a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

seachto7 wrote: »
    unreal. I'm deaf. But unreal. Question. Why does The Olympia sell you a seat ticket where you are stuck behind a f*cking pillar.

They sell restricted view tickets adn mention this when your buying them, but they are cheaper though some seats are directly behind pillars.
    That was the loudest gig I've attended in the Olympia.
    Support act RM Hubbert was good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Best decision I've made was wearing ear protection for this, took one of my earplugs out for a second and realised this.

That was some gig!

Peter File wrote: »
    They sell restricted view tickets adn mention this when your buying them, but they are cheaper though some seats are directly behind pillars.
    That was the loudest gig I've attended in the Olympia.
    Support act RM Hubbert was good as well.

It wasn't the worst, just a bit of a distraction, and I'd be a bit OCD that way.

Setlist in Cork looked decent too. But, what a gig.

I knew who RM Hubbert was , and enjoyed his set. An honest bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My ears definitely suffered last night but it was an amazing gig. I have ASIWFA tonight... do the Olympia give out earbuds and if so, where do you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

AdMMM wrote: »
    My ears definitely suffered last night but it was an amazing gig. I have ASIWFA tonight... do the Olympia give out earbuds and if so, where do you get them?

They were giving them out for Chvrches of all people last year, think just ask the bouncers but they also had them behind the bar. Didn't notice anyone giving them out last night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

The guitarist seemed fine, John cummings I think it was seemed fine to me when playing in cork.
    The only thing was he seemed pretty pissed off with the sound engineers for the first 2 or 3 songs as it was a bit off but after that it was fine.

also on a related note: im so happy i picked cork over dublin. much preferred the playlist by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

ngcxt6 wrote: »
    The guitarist seemed fine, John cummings I think it was seemed fine to me when playing in cork.
    The only thing was he seemed pretty pissed off with the sound engineers for the first 2 or 3 songs as it was a bit off but after that it was fine.

also on a related note: im so happy i picked cork over dublin. much preferred the playlist by the looks of it

left me thinking i wish i went to both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

was at d olympia and was delighted to hear mogwai's first pop song, teenage excorists.... heard cork was great tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 human.strobe

Did anyone catch what happened with John before Glasgow Mega Snake in Cork? He started feeding back his guitar, Dominic looked over at him and shook his head, then John started playing the GMS riff and Stuart looked up and mouthed "What the ****?" at the others. They all looked like they just readjusted and barely came in on time with each other. Love to know what track they were actually intending to play (and if they were pissed at John or not!). Cracking gig though, thought Remurdered was incredible.

Advertisement