Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Forum AMA - boneyarsebogman

• 23-03-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭

Let's try a little experiment. The main AMA forum is going great, and it's always an interesting read.
    Why don't we try something similar in this forum?
    Obviously all questions have to be somewhat related to TV (likes, dislikes, opinions, guilty pleasures etc.)

The rules:

1. Quiz one person for a 24 hour window (after which, the next person in line gets a turn).
    2. Questions have to be related to TV.
    3. No illegal/shady stuff (e.g. where do you download stuff etc.)
    4. Ask no more than 2 questions at a time.
    5. PM me if you're interested in volunteering to go under the spotlight. I'll update the post below with the list and sequence of volunteers (first come, first served).
    6. If volunteering, you must be a member on this site for at least 2 months (this will stop long-term members registering alt accounts).

I'll be the guinea pig to kick it off.... (next person at lunchtime tomorrow)

AMA. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Roster to go here.

1. Mr E.
    2. Also Starring LeVar Burton
    3. CastorTroy
    4. ixoy
    5. squonk
    6. TICKLE_ME_ELMO
    7. pixelburp (Not available this week - postponed until later)
    8. Darko
    9. Kirby
    10. rebel girl 15

See OP for instructions on how to get added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

If you could choose 5 TV characters (from any genre or era) to sit down and have lunch with, who would they be and why?

Oh great. Start with a hard one, why don't you? :)
    I'll have to put some thought into that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking of creating a thread for this one but will just ask directly:

Is there any scripted series you watch that you think should end?
    Like I would go with Supernatural.

Can you name 1 series you watch and 1 series you used to watch that you think is underrated and doesn't/didn't get enough viewers?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Like I would go with Supernatural.

Yeah I'd go with Supernatural too. It's starting to get a bit stale. The Mark of Cain/Crowley's mother stuff is pretty weak.

Criminal Minds is getting pretty bad too. I'm at the stage where if the pre-credit 'crime' doesn't grab me, I'll stop watching.
    Can you name 1 series you watch and 1 series you used to watch that you think is underrated and doesn't/didn't get enough viewers?

One I watch that is underrated is Banshee. I'd sing it from the rooftops if I could. More people need to watch it, but nobody knows about it.

I could pick a load of shows from the last few years that were underrated (which is probably the reason they were cancelled), but one I can easily recommend that people check out is Rubicon, cancelled in 2011.

• Advertisement

Yeah Banshee is excellent and just fun. I remember recording Rubicon but deleting it when cleaning up my planner.

Oh and are there any shows you're reluctant to admit you watch, maybe due to you not being the target demographic?

I watch a good bit of reality TV, and you could argue that I'm outside of the target demographic for some of it (Top Model shows, for example).

I like cooking shows (Masterchef, Top Chef, MKR etc.), despite being part of a demographic group that can't really cook. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. What's the most emotional TV moment in your opinion?

2. What's your favourite "F*ck Yeah!" TV moment?

1. In recent memory, probably the Broadchurch Season 1 finale. It takes a lot for a TV show to make me cry, but that succeeded. :o

2. Again in recent memory,
    Chayton's
    last scene in Banshee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

1. what show currently airing would you consider the most intelligent, where you feel the writers aren't just ticking boxes and actually seem invested in creating a great show that pays off in the long run, 2 or 3 answers is fine.

2. with so many new shows based on books and whatnot, are their any books or other content you would love to see adapted into a TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What show's popularity makes no sense to you?

Do your feelings towards a show sour when it becomes clear that, despite what you were told, the writers haven't a plan and are making it up as they along? I'm thinking BSG and Lost here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Who was your first ever TV crush and who's your current TV crush?

If you could choose 5 TV characters (from any genre or era) to sit down and have lunch with, who would they be and why?

I could go for one of two groups....

To make me laugh - Derek Trotter (OFAH), Louie CK (Louie), Basil Fawlty (Fawlty Towers), Steve Carrell (The Office), Schmidt (New Girl)

For something more intense - Walt (Breaking Bad), Hannibal (Hannibal), John Greer (Person of Interest), Raymond Reddington (The Blacklist), Raylan Givens (Justified)

... with a caveat that Hannibal doesn't do the cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

A lot of people's top threes would be filled with The Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad. How do you feel about each of the three?

don ramo wrote: »
    1. what show currently airing would you consider the most intelligent, where you feel the writers aren't just ticking boxes and actually seem invested in creating a great show that pays off in the long run, 2 or 3 answers is fine.

Not necessarily most intelligent, but I like the way The Flash is going. Every single episode progresses the story in some way and you have the feeling that the writers planned it out in advance (at least for season 1). When the reverse flash / Barry's mother story plays out, it might all go to s**t. :)
    don ramo wrote: »
    2. with so many new shows based on books and whatnot, are their any books or other content you would love to see adapted into a TV show.

I'm a big fan of Lee Childs' Jack Reacher books. Get someone big and imposing to play Reacher (NOT TOM CRUISE!) and you'd get many 8-12 episode seasons out of the material (about 19 books now and counting). I know I keep going back to Banshee, but I think Geno Segers would be a good fit. :)

A Game of Thrones-esque treatment of Raymond E. Feist's original Magician trilogy could also be spectacular. Same with Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy.

ixoy wrote: »
    What show's popularity makes no sense to you?

Glee (at least when it started out). I noticed with glee (sorry) that season 6 has pretty much bombed on Boards. I think JP Liz was the only one watching it. :)
    ixoy wrote: »
    Do your feelings towards a show sour when it becomes clear that, despite what you were told, the writers haven't a plan and are making it up as they along? I'm thinking BSG and Lost here.

I stuck with both of those shows until the end, and for the most part I loved them. The writers kind of wrote themselves into holes in both shows, and made it very hard to get out satisfactorily.

I think I'm pretty stubborn - when I get into a show, I tend to stick to it. See earlier reference to Criminal Minds.

Who was your first ever TV crush and who's your current TV crush?

Then: Heather Locklear
    Now: Amy Acker. Or Sarah Shahi. Or Megan Boone. Or Hannah Simone. Or ... or ... or ...

Edit: Sorry, I just wanted to add Katharine McPhee and Alison Bree. :)

nkay1985 wrote: »
    A lot of people's top threes would be filled with The Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad. How do you feel about each of the three?

Breaking Bad is up there for sure. I was a bit late starting BB - I think I started when it was half way through season 2 but I caught up pretty quickly. I envy people who have never seen it (but intend to).

The Sopranos is a classic, no question.

It may be grounds for demodding, but I never really got into the Wire. I've heard you need to watch a season and a half to really get hooked, but I haven't got that far. I've seen poor Snot being lamented in Season 1 Episode 1 so many times now. One of these days, I'll just grit my teeth through the first season and see if I get hooked. :)

What TV character is most similar to yourself, personality wise?

What's your favourite TV Theme Song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what kind of TV do you own?

• Advertisement

What TV character is most similar to yourself, personality wise?

Tricky, I'll come back to this.
    What's your favourite TV Theme Song?

Bansh... OK, I'll stop. :)

Journeyman, Game of Thrones, and my new favourite, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Dammit.

what kind of TV do you own?

Still rocking a 32 inch Hyundai HD TV that I've had for 8 years now. Definitely due an upgrade....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think the best of television is very strong thematically, narratively and so on, but outside of critics and forums perhaps not taken seriously compared to some other forms of storytelling. What are your thoughts? Are we just forum TV junkies? :P

I think the best of television is very strong thematically, narratively and so on, but outside of critics and forums perhaps not taken seriously compared to some other forms of storytelling. What are your thoughts? Are we just forum TV junkies? :P

TV used to be the third wheel when it came to adult entertainment (compared to movies and books). If you think back to the 80s and 90s, the best in grown-up TV would have been shows like Hill Street Blues and Law & Order, but they were always pretty sanitised. You always felt that they were holding back, and well, they were. They were network shows that had to conform to network restrictions.

I think TV has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 15 years, largely thanks to cable TV in the US. Before then, dramas were very procedural and safe. Dramas like Six Feet Under, Deadwood, The Sopranos and The Wire changed the TV landscape forever and raised the bar for everyone else. Since then, if you ask someone to name their top 10 shows, I expect you'll find that cable shows feature more prominently than the standard network shows of today.

Grown up TV is now on a par with grown up books and grown up movies. Hell, even Hollywood actors are flocking to TV now, because that's where the good stuff is. As Hollywood movies get flashier and dumber with bigger explosions and more CGI (not that there is anything wrong with that!), TV is where you go now to find the really great storytelling.

As for critics, what do they know? I really like shows that they don't, and that'll never change. Shows like 12 Monkeys (57 on Metacritic), CSI Cyber (45) and Battle Creek (73) are all on my watchlist, despite what critics think. I, self-confessed TV Junkie, will watch what I want and what entertains me...

We've seen actors better known for film roles getting lead roles on tv. Which film actor would you like to see get his/her own series?

Did you know Job from Banshee also voices Splinter in the new Turtles series. Was funny when I found it out since slightly less swearing in Turtles.

We've seen actors better known for film roles getting lead roles on tv. Which film actor would you like to see get his/her own series?

Liam Neeson vs. Christoph Waltz in some sort of modern gritty spy thriller.
    Did you know Job from Banshee also voices Splinter in the new Turtles series. Was funny when I found it out since slightly less swearing in Turtles.

I did not know that. Not hard to picture him saying "**** you. **** EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!" to the turtles. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great call with Banshee, just watching episode 7 of series 2 at the moment.

You have 2 hours to kill and can watch 3 episodes of any show, what would they be? You don't have to have seen it already.

Are you a binge watchers (i.e. Netflix) or watch weekly as per the networks discretion.

How many channels had you when you were growing up? What was your favourite?

Any sports shows you like?

Yeah the new Turtles show is great as well.

I've used the line "It shouldn't be as good as it is" for a few tv shows. What show(s) do you think fall into that category eg. because it's a remake or because the setup/plot sounds like it shouldn't work.

Tut tut... more than 2 questions. :)
    (See OP)
    Clareman wrote: »
    You have 2 hours to kill and can watch 3 episodes of any show, what would they be? You don't have to have seen it already.

Individual episodes? Hmm....

Firefly - Out of Gas
    Only Fools and Horses - Yuppie Love
    Community - Modern Warfare
    Are you a binge watchers (i.e. Netflix) or watch weekly as per the networks discretion.

Bit of both, actually. When I find a show that I really like, I have been known to binge on it. The last show I did this with was Scandal, late last year.
    How many channels had you when you were growing up? What was your favourite?

You know something? I'm not sure. We had an old Hitachi TV that had buttons that doubled as tuners. We had RTE1 and 2, BBC1 and 2. I was 8 when Channel 4 came online. We probably had UTV too. I think all the kids programs were on RTE2, so that was probably my favourite.
    Any sports shows you like?

Match of the Day when I was younger. I don't really watch sports programs these days (unless there is a big match on).

• Advertisement

What are your favourite spin-off series?

What was your favourite show as a child?

I've used the line "It shouldn't be as good as it is" for a few tv shows. What show(s) do you think fall into that category eg. because it's a remake or because the setup/plot sounds like it shouldn't work.

Scandal. Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice are AWFUL, but Scandal is great fun and very addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

What was the first series (not season - comedy or drama) that you remember watching beginning to end be it on TV as it aired or on a binge?

If you could pick one character from any show to have a spinoff, who would it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Maybe spoiler tag this one but what were 2 of the most disappointing season /series finales you watched?

Or if you thought they were all great, which ones did you like but majority of boardsies loathed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mr E wrote: »
    For something more intense - Walt (Breaking Bad), Hannibal (Hannibal), John Greer (Person of Interest), Raymond Reddington (The Blacklist), Raylan Givens (Justified)

... with a caveat that Hannibal doesn't do the cooking.

Why not just ask them all to chip in? Walt brings the pizza, Hannibal brings some fava beans, Raylan can bring some fried chicken and Red supplies the whine. Greer can just bring himself. :p

Which character death from a show you like, hit you the most?

If you could choose to resurrect any show in the verse, which one would it be? :P

What are your favourite spin-off series?

The Legend of Korra
    What was your favourite show as a child?

Saturday morning cartoons.... Ulysses 31, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Dungeons and Dragons etc.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What was the first series (not season - comedy or drama) that you remember watching beginning to end be it on TV as it aired or on a binge?

Not sure about shows on TV as they aired, but my first binge show was Alias I think....
    If you could pick one character from any show to have a spinoff, who would it be?

Mozzie from White Collar.

SoftMicro wrote: »
    Maybe spoiler tag this one but what were 2 of the most disappointing season /series finales you watched?

Didn't really like the end of Ashes to Ashes. After the fantastic end to Life on Mars, I was expecting more.

Warehouse 13 had a very weak series finale (the episode before the finale was better).
    Or if you thought they were all great, which ones did you like but majority of boardsies loathed?

The Lost finale is divisive, but I liked it. :)

Kirby wrote: »
    Which character death from a show you like, hit you the most?

Charlie in Lost, maybe?
    If you could choose to resurrect any show in the verse, which one would it be? :P

The 4400, Firefly or Journeyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

How or why did you get into watching TV online?

What shows do you think were unjustifiably cancelled way before their time?

Mainly because I'm impatient. If I've a choice of watching a show that I like as soon as it airs, or wait 6 days or 6 weeks or 6 months for it to air on terrestrial TV, I go for the option that suits me.

For your other question, see post #39. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What's the first show you got from an American cousin and when was it?

What song (not a theme tune) , when you hear it, automatically makes you think of a scene from a show?

Probably Lost in 2004.

Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest, don't you cry no more.

*air guitar*

That was good fun, thanks to all those who asked questions. It was strangely cathartic!

The one I didn't answer was the question about what TV personality I am most like. I have no idea on that one, sorry. :o

Remember - PM me if you're interested in being in the spotlight for 24 hours.

Probably time enough to switch over to the next in line - Also Starring Levar Burton.

1. If you could star in 2 different reality TV shows, what would they be?

2. (Related), if they are competitive reality shows, what kind of player would you be?

I'll just go with the same questions:

Mr E wrote: »
    Probably time enough to switch over to the next in line - Also Starring Levar Burton.

1. If you could star in 2 different reality TV shows, what would they be?

I'd love to say Survivor as one of the answers, but the reality of it is I wouldn't be able to handle living on a beach. I'm a creature of comfort.

So the two I'll go with are Big Brother US and The Amazing Race
    2. (Related), if they are competitive reality shows, what kind of player would you be?

For something like Big Brother I'd play a really devious game (which I think is the only way to win it), by being sociable and friendly on the surface, but be secretly plotting to stab each and every one of them in the back at a moments notice. Like Dan Gheesling has played it in the past, if you're familiar with the show.

With the Amazing Race it's all about playing cautiously, by Reading the Damn Instructions properly and taking a couple of minutes to come up with a game plan after receiving each clue, instead of rushing off in the wrong direction and getting lost or something.

I'll just go with the same questions:

Not really, usually if I start feeling that way about a show I just stop watching it altogether. I stopped watching Bones a few seasons ago because it was just going around in circles, so I suppose that's the best example I can think of.

A series that I currently watch that deserves more viewers and better ratings is The 100. I know it has a bit of a following here on boards, but it definitely should have even more of a following.

As for a series I used to watch that got cancelled, rather than going down the obvious route of saying Firefly, I'm going to go with Dark Angel on this one. I loved the show at the time and was shocked when it got cancelled, because it was great. I'm rewatching it at the moment and it still holds up as well as I remember.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This thread is fun, I wanna join in. Let me think now.....

1 - Is there a TV show that's been hugely popular with either critics/awards/viewers that you just don't get the appeal of at all?

2 - If you could pitch your own TV show what kind of show would it be? Vague outline or genre is fine... or if there's a film or game or something you'd like to see get the TV treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Hey ASLVB! Know you're a fellow Community fan so thought I'd focus on that for my questions.

1. Do you think it should continue after Season 6 even if it means more of the cast might leave?

2. Which side character contributes most to the show in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What kind of TV do you own, is it good enough for your needs, what would you upgrade to if money was no object.

Are there any scripted shows you're reluctant to admit you watch, maybe due to you not being the target demographic?

Which film actor would you like to see get his/her own series?

• Advertisement
Advertisement