Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Forum AMA - boneyarsebogman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

1. As your username might suggest, were you a big ST:TNG fan back in the day?

2. If 1 is true, who was your favourite TNG crew member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Love all the questions guys, got a few errands to run for the next hour or so, but then I'll get right back to answering them. Have to mull some of the questions over anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This thread is fun, I wanna join in. Let me think now.....

1 - Is there a TV show that's been hugely popular with either critics/awards/viewers that you just don't get the appeal of at all?

Yes actually. Usually I'd chalk most things off to different strokes for different folks, but one I could just not get my ahead around as to why people were obsessing over it is True Detective. I watched the whole series, I thought McConaughey and Harrelson were brilliant, but apart from the strong acting the show did nothing for me and I still don't understand why people think it's so amazing.
    2 - If you could pitch your own TV show what kind of show would it be? Vague outline or genre is fine... or if there's a film or game or something you'd like to see get the TV treatment.

This one's a tough question. I'm a writer, so I often come up with different ideas that I think would work great in the right hands.
    My favourite idea and one I'd gladly pitch right now is actually a documentary type travel show where myself and a certain African American actor (best known from the TV shows Roots, Star Trek: TNG, and Reading Rainbow) travel the world embracing different cultures and whatnot.
    My main reason for wanting to do this is because the title of the show would be Also Starring LeVar Burton... :D

I have better ideas, but that one would just be a lot of fun to make.

Hey ASLVB! Know you're a fellow Community fan so thought I'd focus on that for my questions.

1. Do you think it should continue after Season 6 even if it means more of the cast might leave?

First of all, Pop! Pop!

All, I've ever really wanted was Six Seasons and a Movie, so I'm kinda hoping this season is the last and then they do a two hour movie for YAHOO SCREEN as a way to wrap everything up and to have Troy, Shirley and Pierce's Ghost all return for that.
    2. Which side character contributes most to the show in your opinion?

I think they all have their moments, but I think Professor Duncan always added a lot to any scenes he was in, and I'd probably miss Leonard a lot if he wasn't in it, so he's a close second.

What kind of TV do you own, is it good enough for your needs, what would you upgrade to if money was no object.

I own a 14" Mitsubhishi TV/VCR combo that I purchased as a teenager, which I always got along fine with, but currently resides in the back of a wardrobe in my Grandparents' house, where I tend to store a lot of my stuff.

Over the past few years I've moved apartments/houses a lot and also was away travelling, and intend to head off travelling again once I've saved some moolah, so purchasing a HD 50" Flatscreen or something of the like was never really high up on my list of priorities. When and if I finally decide to settle down I'll invest in something a bit more futuristic than the auld Mitsubishi.

I currently have access to a 32" HD Phillips TV set connected to a Sky+ Box which I'll use on occasion, but mostly I just stick to my laptop for my TV viewing needs since everything is online nowadays anyway.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Are there any scripted shows you're reluctant to admit you watch, maybe due to you not being the target demographic?

Well most people already know I'm a huge Soap fan - you don't need to look further than my signature to realise that, so that's probably outside my demographic, with me being a 28 year old, straight male, but I've never been reluctant to admit to watching them or anything else really.

As a self professed Geek, it's pretty much in my DNA to own whatever my interests are, and f**k anyone who has a problem with my interests - I don't ramble on to someone about something they don't also share an interest in, so it's rare that someone would give me stick over anything I'm into.
    Which film actor would you like to see get his/her own series?

Funnily enough a lot of my favourite film actors started off in TV shows to begin with, but someone I'd love to see get their own series (and I don't even care what type of show it is) would be Bill Murray. I'd watch that guy, watch paint dry... Legend.

squonk wrote: »
    1. As your username might suggest, were you a big ST:TNG fan back in the day?

Yeah, I was only a child at the time and it was early 1990s, but I remember they used to show it on Sunday afternoons on one of the handful of channels we had back then. These were still the days when it was the norm for the whole family to spend Sundays in the pub with dozens of kids abandoned in the corner with a tray full of Fanta - anyway there was a TV up in the corner of the pub we used to frequent and one afternoon this captivating show came on about a crew aboard a spaceship and I began drifting closer and closer to the TV as the episode progressed. Anyway the barman noticed how interested I was by the show and made sure that every week on that TV Star Trek: TNG was playing, even if all the other TVs in the pub were showing a football match or something.

I was somewhere between 4 and 7 years old at the time, so most of what went on just went over my head, but I just enjoyed watching whatever the characters were up to. When I got older I started watching it and the other Trek Series' properly during one of their many repeats on SKY ONE.

Sorry for the lenghty reply on that one, you brought me back to one of my few memories of youth... ;)
    2. If 1 is true, who was your favourite TNG crew member?

Believe it or not Geordi La Forge is not my favourite crew member, despite my username. TNG had so many great characters, but my all-time favourite is the leading man himself... Captain Jean Luc Picard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

1. Why did you decide to change your username?

2. You are Ensign Redshirt on the starship "Expendable" about to go on an away mission. What precautions do you take to ensure your unlikely survival? :D

Kirby wrote: »
    1. Why did you decide to change your username?

When I first joined boards I put no thought into my username and ended up with CaptainNegative, which was a joke between me and some friends, then decided to change it because the name annoyed me and put a bit more thought into it. Also Starring LeVar Burton has been generally met with favourable approval... :cool:
    2. You are Ensign Redshirt on the starship "Expendable" about to go on an away mission. What precautions do you take to ensure your unlikely survival? :D

I'll Set Phasers To Love Me, use it on myself which will win over the writers, production crew and the viewers and next season find myself in an Also Starring role...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thinking of your favourite shows, are there any aspects to online fandom that you don't like, or find unpleasant?

Thinking of your favourite shows, are there any aspects to online fandom that you don't like, or find unpleasant?

I can't think of anything, although even for my favourite shows I don't delve too far into the online community - outside of Boards, I'm part of a few fan groups on Facebook (which are well moderated), but I have no interest in Reddit or Digital Spy forums etc. That's really more to do with how I feel about the internet though, because I think people can be horrible to one another behind the safety of their keyboards.
    Boards is generally a good spot for people actually respecting each others opinions online and it's well moderated which is why I like to post here, but I'm probably oblivious to a lot of the online aspects of fandoms. Give me a good old fashioned get together over a pint and discussing some quality TV any day. Or some sort of convention. College used to be great for meetups like that.

Hope that's a satisfactory answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

If there was to be a remake of an old tv show you watched, what would it be?

SoftMicro wrote: »
    If there was to be a remake of an old tv show you watched, what would it be?

In an ideal would there'd be no remakes and people would strive to create original content, but for the purposes of the question I'm going to say Land Of The Giants which ran from 1968 to 1970. I used to watch repeats on Channel 4 back in the 90s and loved it. If they did it right, it's a show that actually could work as a remake, but in the meantime I recommend everyone go back and watch the original series as it's cracking stuff and the CGI is fantastic for the 1960s...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Giants

What series have ended in your opinion prematurely and think it/they had a lot of potential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If you could star in one soap opera, which would it be and who would you play?

• Advertisement

What series have ended in your opinion prematurely and think it/they had a lot of potential?

There're quite a lot to be honest, most of which you'll have heard mentioned countless times over the years, so I'm gonna restrict myself and pick just 10 shows whose cancellations were unjust and premature, otherwise I'd be here all night...

Firefly (don't even get me started on the injustice)

Dollhouse (It got off to a rocky start, but turned into a classic Whedon show, perhaps a little too late)

Dark Angel (which I already mentioned earlier)

Freaks & Geeks (Just look at where all the cast from that show are now and the success stories that came out of those 18 episodes of sheer brilliance)

Saved By The Bell: The College Years (it might not have been the most exciting or most original show ever made, and most of you will scoff that this made my list, but I liked it)

The Tribe (so this ran for 5 seasons and had 260 episodes, but it could've gone on for another 6 or 7 years - it was essentially a post-apocalyptic soap opera for teenagers set in New Zealand for those unfamiliar with it)

Stargate: Universe (so it was a bit different from Stargate: SG1 and Stargate: Atlantis, but it had so much potential and could've been the best of the franchise, given the chance)

Survivors (this came out on BBC a few years back and ran for 2 seasons of 6 episodes each, and it was brilliant. Essentially a British version of The Walking Dead sans zombies)

The Crazy Ones (I'm not saying that Robin Williams would still be alive today if this hadn't been cancelled, but it can't have helped the situation. And it was a great show)

Happy Endings (Up there with some of the greatest sitcoms of the past 10 years. 3 seasons was never enough)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If you could star in one soap opera, which would it be and who would you play?

Ooooh, that's a tough one, because I constantly change my mind over which soap is the best, but I think I'd enjoy being in Emmerdale the most.

I'd probably play a distant relative of the Dingles, as they've got Irish connections and I'm shíte at doing accents. Also, my character would be romantically involved with Leyla because ya know... :D

Or if I had to choose an existing character to play I'd enjoy playing the parts of Paddy or Sam.

There're quite a lot to be honest, most of which you'll have heard mentioned countless times over the years, so I'm gonna restrict myself and pick just 10 shows whose cancellations were unjust and premature, otherwise I'd be here all night...

Firefly (don't even get me started on the injustice)

Dollhouse (It got off to a rocky start, but turned into a classic Whedon show, perhaps a little too late)

Dark Angel (which I already mentioned earlier)

Freaks & Geeks (Just look at where all the cast from that show are now and the success stories that came out of those 18 episodes of sheer brilliance)

Saved By The Bell: The College Years (it might not have been the most exciting or most original show ever made, and most of you will scoff that this made my list, but I liked it)

The Tribe (so this ran for 5 seasons and had 260 episodes, but it could've gone on for another 6 or 7 years - it was essentially a post-apocalyptic soap opera for teenagers set in New Zealand for those unfamiliar with it)

Stargate: Universe (so it was a bit different from Stargate: SG1 and Stargate: Atlantis, but it had so much potential and could've been the best of the franchise, given the chance)

Survivors (this came out on BBC a few years back and ran for 2 seasons of 6 episodes each, and it was brilliant. Essentially a British version of The Walking Dead sans zombies)

The Crazy Ones (I'm not saying that Robin Williams would still be alive today if this hadn't been cancelled, but it can't have helped the situation. And it was a great show)

Happy Endings (Up there with some of the greatest sitcoms of the past 10 years. 3 seasons was never enough)

Wow yeah Firefly completely understand.

SGU was amazing show. The Robert Carlisle centric episodes were some of his finest work. The soundtrack for that show was so beautiful.

Thanks for that, I will check out some of the others....except for saved by the bell: college years...that's just wrong...so wrong :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rumours abound that it might be making a comeback. I'm trying hard not to believe it in case it is just rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What series that you watch is much better than you expected it to be from either the fact it sounded stupid or was a remake/based on a movie? So basically it has no right to be as excellent as it is

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What series that you watch is much better than you expected it to be from either the fact it sounded stupid or was a remake/based on a movie? So basically it has no right to be as excellent as it is

I'd probably have to say Blackish. When ABC announced it last year I thought it sounded stupid as a premise, but it's really really funny.

Also, even though it has only had 1 episode so far, I'd say iZombie very much exceeded my expectations.

Also, even though it has only had 1 episode so far, I'd say iZombie very much exceeded my expectations.

have you seen z nation? for what it is, it definitely exceeded my expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Of the shows that have ended prematurely, which was the most frustrating due to a cliffhanger/unresolved ending?

How did you deal with that; does it affect rewatches or have you made up a satisfactory conclusion in your head?

have you seen z nation? for what it is, it definitely exceeded my expectations

Cool, I've been meaning to check it out actually.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Of the shows that have ended prematurely, which was the most frustrating due to a cliffhanger/unresolved ending?

How did you deal with that; does it affect rewatches or have you made up a satisfactory conclusion in your head?

I'd have to go with The Tribe on that. It ended every season with a big cliffhanger, but the one at the end at season 5 was such a WTF moment for me. It doesn't affect me re-watching because even up until that point a lot of stuff happens and I genuinely enjoy the characters. They've actually brought out books now to continue the series 8 years after the show ended. The first one came out a few years ago, but I haven't read yet as I want to get another re-watch in to refresh my memory before delving into the books.

But, at the time it was certainly a major buzzkill to have no resolution and no sign of a resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

where do you see the future of TV viewing going with the likes of Netflix and Amazon changing the landscape?

What is the one tv show that you are embarrassed to say that you have watched and loved?

Skerries wrote: »
    where do you see the future of TV viewing going with the likes of Netflix and Amazon changing the landscape?

Eventually TV will probably become obsolete and everything will move online, but it will be a slow process and will take at least another 50 years or longer in my opinion. We'll more likely succumb to a Zombie Apocalypse before then anyway.
    What is the one tv show that you are embarrassed to say that you have watched and loved?

See Post #57, this is one I've already answered. Although certainly the lamest show I ever watched over the years and still loved it anyway is 7th Heaven, but I've never been embarrassed to admit it. I still occasionally find myself singing the theme song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks ASLB. :)

Next to face off: CastorTroy! :p

1. What is the best new show of the 2014/2015 season?

2. What show from the 70s or 80s would you bring back/revamp/modernise?

1. What TV character are you most similar to personality wise?

2. Who was your first ever TV crush and who's your current TV crush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

1. What was the TV series that you felt promised the most but delivered so little?

2. What cancelled shows do you think should be brought back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What kind of TV do you own, is it enough for your needs and if money was no object what would you upgrade to?

Pick one character from a favourite show to make a crossover to another show you like, how would they fit in to the universe of the second show, and what would be the reaction of the regulars.

Oh, is that the time?! Must go wash my hair. Should take about 24 hours
    Mr E wrote: »
    Thanks ASLB. :)

Next to face off: CastorTroy! :p

1. What is the best new show of the 2014/2015 season?

2. What show from the 70s or 80s would you bring back/revamp/modernise?

1. Probably The Flash (waiting to see with iZombie)

2. Not many left that haven't already been modernised so i'm gonna cheat slightly and say The Muppet Show

1. What TV character are you most similar to personality wise?

1. Probably Xander Harris

2. Will get back to this. Surprised I can't think now

squonk wrote: »
    1. What was the TV series that you felt promised the most but delivered so little?

2. What cancelled shows do you think should be brought back?

1. Recently, The Following. A series about a cult of serial killers starring Kevin Bacon isn't as good as it sounds

2. I'll skip saying Firefly and go with either The Middleman or Harper's Island, since it was said to be coming back with a new cast and story if successful. Would like them to finish The Dead Zone and definitely would like Alphas back

What kind of TV do you own, is it enough for your needs and if money was no object what would you upgrade to?

Pick one character from a favourite show to make a crossover to another show you like, how would they fit in to the universe of the second show, and what would be the reaction of the regulars.

Samsung 42" which doubles as my computer monitor. Fits perfectly in my living room. Does what I need but if I had the money for a bigger house and bigger tv, I'd go for it.

Arrow should go to the Flash. :)
    Actually would be interesting to see how the characters from Banshee would do in the world of The Walking Dead. I'm guessing they'd have a few survival techniques they could teach Rick and co.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm going to stick with the same questions I asked yesterday...

1 - Is there a TV show that's been hugely popular with either critics/awards/viewers that you just don't get the appeal of at all?

2 - If you could pitch your own TV show what kind of show would it be? Vague outline or genre is fine... or if there's a film or game or something you'd like to see get the TV treatment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

1. Given how overlapping genre TV is becoming: if you could, what two shows would you like to see crossover? Not necessarily shows set in the same universe, but two that you think would make for a tasty collision if it could somehow happen. :)

2. What TV personality (if any) gets under your skin, for good or bad?

I'm going to stick with the same questions I asked yesterday...

1. Mad Men. Watched the first season thinking it would get better and something would happen. I was wrong

2. I'm not creative enough to come up with my own series but one comic that's been talked about a lot for adaptation is Marvel's Runaways. Would love it to be made. Or else Marvel's X Factor
    Or, y'know, just get the female cast of The 100, Flash, Arrow (basically The CW) to star with Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker in a Showgirls series on Cinemax or Starz. :p

pixelburp wrote: »
    1. Given how overlapping genre TV is becoming: if you could, what two shows would you like to see crossover? Not necessarily shows set in the same universe, but two that you think would make for a tasty collision if it could somehow happen. :)

1. See Post 86. (Walking Dead/Banshee)

2. WWE commentators? I know there are one or 2 characters, but would have to just look through my shows to see who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Given the recent trend of rebooting films for TV, is there any film which you like to see get this treatment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

which unadapted TV show currently airing would you consider the most intelligent, one where you feel the whole cast and crew work hard to get a good show out, and reward their fans for their commitment,

also what show would pay E1000 into a kick-starter fund to get one more episode of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

What were your favourite TV shows as a child?

Do you have a Netflix subscription? If not, would you consider getting one because of one specific show (e.g. if your favourite show moved to Netflix)?

Can't think who was my first tv crush but will say it's between Christina Ricci in Casper(she's a year older than me and I saw it in the cinema so less creepy than it sounds) for a girl about my age and Jodie Foster for an older woman.
    Now for tv, I wouldn't say no to Danielle Panabaker and Emily Bett Rickards fighting over me.

pixelburp wrote: »

Fish Mooney in Gotham. Most pointless character
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    Given the recent trend of rebooting films for TV, is there any film which you like to see get this treatment?
    Apart from the aforementioned Showgirls series?

Films I think could be adapted for the small screen:
    Dark City
    Battle Royale (I know it was a book first)
    Mystery Men
    Green Street/ID/any film about football hooligans
    Series 7: The Contenders

don ramo wrote: »
    which unadapted TV show currently airing would you consider the most intelligent, one where you feel the whole cast and crew work hard to get a good show out, and reward their fans for their commitment,

also what show would pay E1000 into a kick-starter fund to get one more episode of

Orphan Black, Person of Interest and Banshee. Tatiana Maslany needs much more recognition for Orphan Black.

Well I did contribute to the Veronica Mars movie. But for 1 more episode, it would have to be the unfilmed, but adapted to comic later, finale of The Middleman

What were your favourite TV shows as a child?

Do you have a Netflix subscription? If not, would you consider getting one because of one specific show (e.g. if your favourite show moved to Netflix)?

Mysterious Cities of Gold, He Man, Dogtanian, Ulysses, M.A.S.K., Visionaries, Dungeons & Dragons, Quantum Leap, Turtles. It's a long list. :)

Nope though tempted to sign up for the Daredevil series. I suppose if the only way to watch Game of Thrones or Banshee was on Netflix, I would have to subscribe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Current favourite character from a tv show?

Can't choose just one so would be between Arya and Tyrion on Game of Thrones and Job and Clay in Banshee. Once Clay's glasses come off, you know it's about to get good.

Disclaimer: Mr. E is not making me push Banshee. :)

If you could have lunch with any 5 TV characters, past or present, who would they be?

What's your favourite TV theme song?

If you could have lunch with any 5 TV characters, past or present, who would they be?

What's your favourite TV theme song?

Veronica Mars, Winifred Burkle, Harold Finch, Phil Coulson, Sam Axe. It would be a very strange and sarcastic lunch.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm crap at picking favourites so will list Incredible Hulk ending, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Prince Valiant, Ulysses, Littlest Hobo and Duck Tales.

what episode of any series is your all time perfect episode that made you smile, laugh or cry?

• Advertisement
Advertisement