Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitchy on-screen pointer on Laptop - a virus?

Options
  • 23-03-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭

Machine: Dell Inspiron 15z laptop.

When I use the laptop, all seems fine for a while, then the mouse pointer seems to get twitchy. Often its very small twitches, moving erratically compared to my actual movements on the touchpad.

Other times it can be very dramatic, to an extent that I cannot point at anything I want to. I could try to move it and it jumps all over the screen in a totally random fashion.

Do I have a virus causing this?
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I used to have a similar issue on an old Dell (6400) and it was due to grime/dirty/grease on the touchpad itself. Worth cleaning as a first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Try plugging in an external mouse if you have one. If it runs smoothly, likely a touchpad issue.
    If that also seems a bit spotty you may want to open task manager and see how the cpu load/memory usage is...is it high? Maybe something is hogging resources.

Advertisement