Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheaten Terrier

• 23-03-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Anyone know how to get a wheaten dog in Ireland. Am looking for an adult rather than a pup. Would like a male. For some reason I can't find them anywhere. Want proper wheaten not a show type.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

wheaten wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get a wheaten dog in Ireland. Am looking for an adult rather than a pup. Would like a male. For some reason I can't find them anywhere. Want proper wheaten not a show type.

Proper Wheaten not a Show type lol. The show type are the 'proper' Wheaten constructed for purpose. If you contact a Breed Club slagging off their 'Show Dogs' you could be waiting a long time for an Irish Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wheaten

Knine wrote: »
    Proper Wheaten not a Show type lol. The show type are the 'proper' Wheaten constructed for purpose. If you contact a Breed Club slagging off their 'Show Dogs' you could be waiting a long time for an Irish Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

Actually most of the SHOW dogs differ vastly from the traditional wheaten. Show dogs can be up 21 inches in height when the standard is 17-18 inches. Traditional wheaten is square in shape and strong but SHOW dogs look more like Kerrys than Wheatens

I think you will find that non standard size Wheatens won't win too well. The standard is there for a reason. The winning dogs should be those closest to the standard & that includes size, outline etc. The Wheatens I see are very strong dogs for their size. Edited to add the FCI Breed Standard & when Judging that is what I would be looking for.

http://ikc.ie/dog-ownership/types-dog/breeds/native-breeds-ireland/irish-soft-coated-wheaten-terrier

Not interested in Winning in shows. More interested in a healthy well rounded dog

Not interested in Winning in shows. More interested in a healthy well rounded dog

That comes from health tested dogs & actually looks like a Wheaten? Who mentioned winning in shows? You said you wanted a ' Proper' Wheaten............ I pointed out that Show Breeders breed to the Breed Standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Suggest you check out the Irish Wheaten Terrier Society website www dot iwts dot eu. Sorry, I can't post links due to not having enough posts. Click on the "Adults/Youngs" tab and then click on Ireland in the left hand column. Scroll down a bit and you'll find there's a 5 year old neutered male up for grabs. I'm not sure if they're selling or just rehoming.

If that doesn't work, just Google Soft Coated Irish Wheaten Terrier and you'll eventually find somebody selling one, might even be on Done Deal or Adverts.

Good luck with your search! 😉

Well I have searched high and low for a wheaten to no avail. Found a female alright but I want a male. Tried usual sites and all. Any suggestions as to what to try now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well I have searched high and low for a wheaten to no avail. Found a female alright but I want a male. Tried usual sites and all. Any suggestions as to what to try now?

Did you contact the breed club?

Yes have tried breed club, wheaten sites and just about every advertising site on the web... Maybe I am just not meant to have one just yet. Will keep trying though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Hildred wrote: »
    Suggest you check out the Irish Wheaten Terrier Society website www dot iwts dot eu. Sorry, I can't post links due to not having enough posts. Click on the "Adults/Youngs" tab and then click on Ireland in the left hand column. Scroll down a bit and you'll find there's a 5 year old neutered male up for grabs. I'm not sure if they're selling or just rehoming.

If that doesn't work, just Google Soft Coated Irish Wheaten Terrier and you'll eventually find somebody selling one, might even be on Done Deal or Adverts.

Good luck with your search! ��

Did you check out this link OP, this was a male

• Advertisement

That dog was gone on that site. Have been scouring the various websites to no avail. Apparently there was a male wheaten in Carlow on Donedeal two months ago for sale but as is my luck I cant find it now

I have put my name down for a puppy from a litter that might be due around June but I had my heart set on an adult

Advertisement