Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating an OEM copy of W7

Options
  • 23-03-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I recently tried to move my Windows to a new HDD/laptop. I thought it would be as easy as downloading the legit ISO and putting in the same product key, which would then disable my old one.

My product key is 15 digits and the product key MS ask for in order to even download the image is 25... apparently it could be because my copy of Windows came with the original laptop (purchased new).

Anybody any experience here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

HDD/Laptop?

Are you planning on replacing the HDD on the original laptop, or are you trying to use your OEM copy of Windows 7 form one laptop, on a different laptop?

If it's a different laptop, I'd seriously doubt anyone on here will help with that...

If its just replacing the HDD, then this will help recover the 25 digit key without using software (all win7 keys are 25 digit BTW), otherwise, a third party program like this will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

johnnybmac wrote: »
    If it's a different laptop, I'd seriously doubt anyone on here will help with that...
    Why not, it's not illegal is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Intifada wrote: »
    Why not, it's not illegal is it?

OEM licenses live and die with the machine you buy them with. You can't legally move it to another machine.

Really? That's mad. Didn't I pay for it when I bought the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

You did yes, but you only paid for the right to use it on that machine.

More details here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=xxdRPMVCEG6

"The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The Microsoft Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why an OEM System Builder License can't be transferred."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Really? That's mad. Didn't I pay for it when I bought the laptop?

Yeah, for an OEM licence, a retail licence is much more expensive but would have enabled you to move it

Hmm I see. Guess I'll have to go down the other route then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hmm I see. Guess I'll have to go down the other route then!

You can buy keys on the reddit Microsoft software swap forum for relatively cheap

Cool dya have a link to that? Don't use reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You can buy keys on the reddit Microsoft software swap forum for relatively cheap

Those licenses are illegal too.

For a free, 100% legal and far superior solution, install the Technical Preview of Windows 10. Once the full version of Windows 10 is out, upgrade to it (also free)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Illegal in the sense they're not supposed to be sold, or that they aren't legitimate?

Both. The licenses are typically legitimate to use only by the person who bought them originally (i.e. multiple license keys with a technet sub). They are not legal for that person to sell them on. And they are not legitimate licenses for the person who bought them on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

For a free, 100% legal and far superior solution, install the Technical Preview of Windows 10. Once the full version of Windows 10 is out, upgrade to it (also free)

I know that it will be possible to upgrade to the retail version from the technical preview but I cant find any confirmation that this will be free. only upgrades from 7 or 8 will be free as far as I can see.

Upgrades even from from dodgy / illegal / cracked licenses of 7 / 8 to final version of 10 will be free

There will be an upgrade from TP to final version of 10

Therefore I presume the later will be free too?

(you're right it hasn't specifically been confirmed about upgrading from TP to final version of 10 though afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Even if they don't allow you to upgrade MS have announced the price of W10 will be significantly lower.

Wait for it.

Any drawbacks of going straight to W10 (TP)? How is driver support? Does Steam work ok on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

It's a new OS. Historically new operating systems often have bugs when they first come out and are patched up over time.

The new CEO seems to be very focused on bringing out a stable, well thought out product and people are looking forward to it. Unlike previous versions MS seem to be waiting to bring out a good stable product rather than the rushed Vista for example. Perhaps they have learned finally.

Steam works on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Off topic but only slightly, will win 10 work OK on a Samsung nc10 netbook? I'll give it a lash as I've seen piece about it working really outdated specs. 2gb of ram so I think I should be fine. Anyone try something similar?

Should be fine. I have it running on a €45 Linx 7 tablet (1GB or ram) :D

Advertisement