Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small stones scattered by little children

Options
  • 23-03-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

The small kids in my neighbourhood seem to take great delights in chucking handfuls of the small stones I've got in my front garden around the place. I've never caught them, but each evening I come home, there's more and more lying around. I also suspect they're taking them and just chucking them in the drain which doesn't seem like a great idea either.

Short of removing them and putting cement down (or something else, I ain't going back to lawn), any ideas for how to keep them in place? I guess some sort of barrier would work, so I'd go for shrubbery before I'd go for a big wall, but I'm open to suggestion.

(I was also looking at something like this, but I'm not sure I want to go that far)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

this would help keep them away

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3Z_NF0VpgeY0DXGL-jaW3UERdj3AaWwItHExgfqcNqhJi8Xi5

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My own grandchildren re-distribute the pebbles in my garden...seems to be a thing with kids and pebbles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you knew the kids parents you could mention that there might be 'stuff' on the stones that the kids might be getting on their hands - dog/cat wee/poo, people spitting etc.
    i know kids seem facinated by stones, my own too at one time.

bricks would be a good replacement. easy to put down and look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

jrby wrote: »
    this would help keep them away

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3Z_NF0VpgeY0DXGL-jaW3UERdj3AaWwItHExgfqcNqhJi8Xi5

The kids around here would just end up throwing that into the road aswell.
    looksee wrote: »
    My own grandchildren re-distribute the pebbles in my garden...seems to be a thing with kids and pebbles

It's when they redistribute them into the drain and all over the road where I'm getting worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Are you sure it's kids?
    I say that because I've seen crows routing through the tiny pebbles in my garden on more than one occasion, and making quite a mess in the process. They get into the chip bark too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

corblimey wrote: »
    The kids around here would just end up throwing that into the road aswell.

It's when they redistribute them into the drain and all over the road where I'm getting worried.

Cheapie trail camera and find out what is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dont think it can be avoided, small stones and kids go together like Homer Simpson and doughnuts. You're going to just have to live with it or take them up & replace them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    dont think it can be avoided, small stones and kids go together like Homer Simpson and doughnuts. You're going to just have to live with it or take them up & replace them

The stones, or the kids?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

One of my neighbours had problems with kids throwing pebbles. They replaced it with Mulch about three years ago - no problem since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Mulch is the kind of 'bark'-y stuff, right? That's an idea, no fun throwing that stuff around, it has no heft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement