Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What height is considered average/small/tall for an Irish person?

• 23-03-2015 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I was reading this article and it got me thinking: http://www.joe.ie/fitness-health/good-news-lads-were-all-getting-taller/369963

Where do we draw the line between a tall man or a small man? If 5'9 is the average male height in Ireland then is anything below that short and anything above that tall? Or is there a range of heights where a person is considered small, tall or average?

Also, is there similar criteria for women? Do women and men have different boundaries for what they consider to be short/tall when they look at the same and opposite genders?

Of course, height doesn't define a person's worth and an inch or two in height is pretty insignificant in most circumstances, but I'm interested to hear other people's opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I am 5 foot 4 and most people consider me quite small even though according to many websites that is actually the average height for a female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Luno wrote: »
    I am 5 foot 4 and most people consider me quite small even though according to many websites that is actually the average height for a female.

I personally wouldn't consider that small. My girlfriend is the same height as you and has been told the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Petite clothing is designed for women who are 5"3 and below, so I'd personally consider that a benchmark. Also I shop in the petite section ;)

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Petite clothing is designed for women who are 5"3 and below, so I'd personally consider that a benchmark. Also I shop in the petite section ;)

Do you think anything over 5"3 is tall in that case then? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Ha, to me, they are all giants!!

But in reality, the counter part of the petite definition is that tall is considered 5"8 or above- so I guess between 5"3 and 5"8 is.. regular height?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

I wouldn't consider and exact height average, I mean coming from a maths point I view it has to be an exact number but I would consider between 5'6 - 6'0 average for a man (fairly big gap)
    And between 5'3 - 5'6 average for female..
    No reason behind those numbers other then they look right to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Do you think anything over 5"3 is tall in that case then? :)

To me, 5'3" is small :)

I'm 5'7.5" and am taller than most of my friends and colleagues although I would consider myself to be average. My sister is 5'10" so I would say that's tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

I'm 6 foot and I would consider anything from 5"10 tall for a woman and anything under 5"4 small for a woman (although almost everyone is small to me 😊)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think younger generations are taller, so it really depends who you are comparing yourself with. 5'4 is probably quite accurate for women in general but I would say there would be quite a bit of a difference between generations. I would guess that 5'4 is probably also on the low side in comparison to majority of European countries and North America. Pettitte or tall clothing isn't necessarily adapted to Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was just thinking this morning that guys are getting taller. I'm 6'5" and have always felt taller than most, but recently I've noticed a lot of (younger) taller guys around the place.

Tall girls I would say 5'9 or 10 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My age group (mid 30s) are taller than our parents but even early 20s guys are already slightly taller on average than us I reckon.

I'm 6'1 so never felt small here but I'm probably only average in the Netherlands. Loads of women taller than me there, which is very rare here.

Tallest I ever felt was in South America, they're not big people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I'm 5'6, I'd say I'm average. Anything under 5'4 I'd consider small for my generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'm a 5'9 female, I'd class myself as tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

6'5" reporting in. Yer all shorties :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm 5'9/5'10 and would consider myself tall (female) but not towering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

5'10" male here and I'd consider myself an average height, feel short around a lot of my friends!

5'10" male here and I'd consider myself an average height, feel short around a lot of my friends!

Took the words out of my mouth.. :)

For me, anything over 6" 0 is tall while anything below 5" 8 is maybe short for a male. So anything between that is "normal" I guess.

With women it's a little more tricky. I think I'd consider a women near my height (5" 10) to be quite tall, so maybe 5" 8 and over? As for a woman being small, I wouldn't notice too much usually so maybe 5" 2 and under?

The generation differences seems to be true in my experience, I'm taller than the majority of my relatives (thankfully) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Haha, the only adults in my extended family who are smaller than me are my grannies.. I'm the family shorty :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I used to live in Kenya being 6'3" there made me feel like a giant! I would think here <5'7" would definitely be on the small side and >6'2" tall for anyone <40. On the tall side when you find its hard to get clothes/shoes to fit then you are definitely tall. Places never seem to have a full stock of shoes over size 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

i'm 5'10/11 and i'd consider that average height for a guy and maybe 5'6/7 for ladies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I was just thinking this morning that guys are getting taller.

Are you sure?
    I didn't get any taller this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

I'd personally consider 5'10 average for lads but I still think that's short enough.. I'm a 5'8 female though and I consider myself to be a small but taller than average, so I'd say average for a female would be 5'7 - 5'5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'd say for women anything under 5'2" is small and anything over 5'8" is tall. Everything in between is fairly average. I'm about 5'9.5". Many people totally overestimate my height and reckon I'm 6 foot. But then again I have noticed a lot of people add a few inches on to their own height, especially men. :o

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'd say for women anything under 5'2" is small and anything over 5'8" is tall. Everything in between is fairly average. I'm about 5'9.5". Many people totally overestimate my height and reckon I'm 6 foot. But then again I have noticed a lot of people add a few inches on to their own height, especially men. :o

Yeah, I'm 5'9 and I've noticed the same. 'Jaysus you're awful tall, you must be 6 foot'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Just something to consider. Some of the Irish "models" are 5'6/5'7" and no, they are not petite models. So if that's the height in Ireland's modelling world then I'm guessing it takes alot to be considered really short and not too much to be considered really tall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

ratmouse wrote: »
    Just something to consider. Some of the Irish "models" are 5'6/5'7" and no, they are not petite models. So if that's the height in Ireland's modelling world then I'm guessing it takes alot to be considered really short and not too much to be considered really tall!
    Georgia Salpa is 5'7! But no most agencies require a model to be over 5,8 if it's for fashion modelli but like most lingerie models are fairly short!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

6'5" reporting in. Yer all shorties :D

Same. Nice to meet a fellow normal, living in a world designed for hobbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Almen11 wrote: »
    Georgia Salpa is 5'7! But no most agencies require a model to be over 5,8 if it's for fashion modelli but like most lingerie models are fairly short!

Described as one of Ireland's leading models, Nadia Forde is 5'7"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Any serius model I think is expected to be over 5'8". Kate Moss is one of the few exceptions and it just shows how good she is at what she does.

The measurements so called Irish models have (not just height) can work for pr stunts and glamour stuff but none of them would get anywhere in high fashion modelling. They are pretty girls, looks wise I bet a lot would find them very attractive but describing them as models in traditional sense is a bit stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭chaoskitten_DF

I'm the smallest person in the thread so far...
    4' 11" female here.
    (Even petite section stuff is too long for me a lot of the time)

I'm the smallest person in the thread so far...
    4' 11" female here.
    (Even petite section stuff is too long for me a lot of the time)

It's nearly a disability at your height. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

6'1 female here. I feckin hope Irish people hurry up and grow I am sick of standing out a mile for my height. I've contemplated moving countries numerous times because people can be so rude about height here. Nobody would call a fat person fat to their face, but they have no problem calling tall people 'freakishly' tall or 'giants'.

Saying that I do feel height is all relative and I think it only interferes with your life when you are outside the considered norms. I would consider that over 5'11 for a women and under 5'5 for a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'd consider 5'6" - 5' 7" average for a woman and 5' 11" - 6' average for a man.

Anything below that seems short to me for either sex, but I accept that my perception might just be skewed, cause at 5'7" I'm the shortest person in my family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Well I am 5'2 and I'm 18, but most 13/14/15 year old girls are taller than me and the boys are awfully tall too (most at least 6 foot and over). It's safe to say that younger generations will change the average height demographics

• Advertisement
Advertisement