Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (PS4, XBOX ONE, PC)

Options
  • 23-03-2015 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DMC4SE is currently in development for the PS4, Xbox One, and yes, the PC, and set for a release this summer. It will be a digital release, but you can expect a tremendous amount of content and replayability at a great value.

DMC4SE is a heavily enhanced version of the 2008 stylish action classic, featuring:

Three new playable characters, making for a total of five playable characters—the largest playable roster in the series’ history.
    Vergil – Dante’s ice-cold twin brother and master of the iaijutsu sword fighting style. As described by the game’s director, Hideaki Itsuno, Vergil will have a fully upgradable move set based on his rendition in Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, with elements of DmC Devil May Cry’s Vergil added in, making this the definitive version of the character. He will also feature a new “Concentration” mechanic, which makes his attacks get more powerful the more flawlessly he fights. Vergil will be playable on any mission.
    Trish – Resident badass since her first appearance in the first Devil May Cry’s opening cutscene, Trish does away with the need for weapon switching, instead utilizing the versatile Sparda sword, her pistols, and her bare hands in a variety of inventive ways. Trish allows players to fight with relatively few buttons, but is still quite a deep character with an awesome move set. Trish will be playable on Dante’s missions.
    Lady – Playable for the first time, Lady specializes in long-range, firearm-based combat, making the game feel completely different. Her signature weapon, the Kalina Ann, features a grappling hook which allows her to traverse environments similarly to Nero, among other applications. Lady will be playable on Nero’s missions.
    Legendary Dark Knight Mode – First introduced in the PC version of Devil May Cry 4, this mode pits players against an absolutely tremendous number of enemies, meaning you’ll have to adjust your combat strategy.
    Enhanced visuals – 1080p support and up-res’d textures, while preserving the game’s 60fps framerate.
    Bonus costumes and skins.
    Numerous minor tweaks to game tempo and balance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This forum the last week.... I seriously.... I dunno... remastered.... enhanced..... next gen..... my brain is melting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Cormac... wrote: »
    This forum the last week.... I seriously.... I dunno... remastered.... enhanced..... next gen..... my brain is melting :(

Yeah there are too many games being remastered

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

While I generally agree that in some cases the whole "remaster" thing is going too far...

F*CK YEAH DMC4!!!!

F*cking loved this game, and the addition of not only Vergil, but Lady and Trish (playing as Trish was pretty much the only good point of DMC2) too. Brilliant. I don't even care, this is one remaster I'm definitely looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yes yes yes all of this in my face nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I was watching the trailer closely. It looks as though they're playing Frankenstein with the extra playable characters' movesets. I know we only saw a few seconds of each but they're definitely borrowing from Dante and Nero's animations.
    • Vergils Forced Edge uppercut looks like Dante's Rebellion ranged attack in Swordmaster style
    • Vergil's Yamato attack while airborn looks like Nero's 22,2 attack while airborn except perhaps performed from ground and repeats more.
    • Trish borrows Vergil's f2 (spinning attack) from DMC3
    • Lady performs Dante's f3 from Gunslinger style, the shotgun stinger.

Still hyped, but I sure hope this isn't just a moveset mix-n-match job with pallet swaps. Will probably still buy it just because DMC is one of my most favourite series ever (1-4) and I'll take any reason to boot this up on my computer again. I currently use the DMC4 debug on the regular version to play around with slowing down time and hopping between levels in Bloody Palace. No longer have to play 79 levels just to fight Credo as Dante! I hope they add something like that natively to this SE.

I usually still launch the game every few weeks for a scrap especially with the crazy monster spam mode.

That MT Framework engine performs so damn well. I get a very reliable 120fps @ max graphics setting and it looked and played amazingly on last generation consoles. I think there's even some kind of mobile version of the game it ran so well on low end hardware.

• Advertisement

• Wow, this worrying trend is getting even more common
    3 "remasters" in one week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

To all those crying about remasters, remember there are other folks (like me) who never touched those games in the first place but can now experience them for the first time.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wow, this worrying trend is getting even more common
    3 "remasters" in one week

Well, this game was announced a while back. This is just the first info/trailer we've gotten.

I'm really hoping this remaster does well, as hopefully it means Capcom will return DMC to this continuity for the next game instead of continuing with DmC. I enjoyed DMC4 far more than DmC. And given how old DMC4 is, plus the new features such as new playable characters and mini-story for Vergil, I have no issues with this game being remastered. I don't think it's comparable to most other remasters which are just re-releases of games which were only out about a year ago and just including all the DLC.

This isn't even a remaster, it's a Special Edition. Happened with DMC3 too FYI and that was PS2 > PS2 (did eventually get HD collection again as well as PC release, however). Which makes me realise it's actually sad to see that PS3/360 are not getting this special edition. If DMC4 could run on last generation then so can the special edition all it's doing is adding new characters. Just leave out the LDK mode and you're good to go. I wonder why they've skipped last gen... more people own em' than they do current gen. Just CAPCOM being stupid CAPCOM again I guess.

If they're 'remastering' in terms of graphics then it isn't impressive if the trailer is any indication. Definitely not looking as good as it does on my computer in that trailer. Perhaps it was the console version or just youtube compression or something like that.

DMC4 doesn't need much remastering anyway and there's not a lot you could do for it. It looks super good to this day on all platforms. Even higher res textures work feels like time better spent on the new characters and actual content.

Looking forward to this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    To all those crying about remasters, remember there are other folks (like me) who never touched those games in the first place but can now experience them for the first time.

In fairness you can still experience them for the first time without a HD remaster...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bad Horse wrote: »

No, F*ck you Ninja Theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Also for those complaining... this was announced ages ago. It was announced when the DMC remastered was announced.

Bad Horse wrote: »

The only acceptable version.

KRFmLnz.png

GUQx8kw.jpg

o9QPyqI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is DMC4 thought of as the highlight of the series? I really enjoyed the DMC reboot on the 360, having not played any of them since DMC2.

Is DMC4 thought of as the highlight of the series? I really enjoyed the DMC reboot on the 360, having not played any of them since DMC2.

DMC3 is generally considered to be the best, probably followed by DMC1.

DMC4 is flawed, no two ways about it. But it's still a hugely enjoyable game. A worthy sequel to DMC3 (though it doesn't reach the same heights).

The hype for DMC4 is partially to do with the chance of a return to the original DMC continuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I played the reboot and enjoyed it a lot. I also picked up the original DMC4 for €3 in Tesco a while ago. I must give it a go now to see what the fuss is about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah DMC3 definitely the highlight and the one to play. DMC4 carries over many of the strengths but is an altogether blander game with some regrettable structural choices. Hard to describe, but it also felt like a much 'colder' game than the third to me. Bayonetta, of course, was the best DMC follow-up of them all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So is the Devil May Cry HD Trilogy worth a punt or am I better off plugging away at Bayonetta and DMC4? I'm just wondering have they aged well. It's about a tenner on the PS Store at the moment.

So is the Devil May Cry HD Trilogy worth a punt or am I better off plugging away at Bayonetta and DMC4? I'm just wondering have they aged well. It's about a tenner on the PS Store at the moment.
    It's definitely worth it, game is still hugely playable.

DMC1 and DMC3 are definitely worth it.

DMC2... Well let's just say that whatever people's opinions of DMC4 and DmC (the reboot) are, neither are as bad as DMC2. DMC2 is a pile of sh*t. Seriously, don't waste your time with it. Play DMC1, then DMC3, then DMC3 again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always wondered what the US version of DMC3 was like. apparently the Japanese one was too easy on normal, the US version had the difficulty ramped up a bit too much while the EU got a version that was in the middle and is what the later SE edition was based on, or so I believe.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I always wondered what the US version of DMC3 was like. apparently the Japanese one was too easy on normal, the US version had the difficulty ramped up a bit too much while the EU got a version that was in the middle and is what the later SE edition was based on, or so I believe.
    AFAIK:
    For DMC3 original:
    JP Normal = US Easy = PAL Easy
    JP Hard = US Normal = PAL Normal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I had been meaning to pick that one up, any idea if there's an advantage to either the 360 or PS3 versions?

^ Never heard of any platform differences in performance or graphics between the 2 last generation console versions.

360 version has achievements while PS3 doesn't have trophies... the game came out before they were implemented. Instead it has the trophies implemented into an internal system so you can still unlock em' they just won't be tied to your PSN account.

Beyond that they should be identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Fun-filled stylish action romp Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, which is coming to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, will release in North America and Europe starting June 23, 2015 for $24.99/ €24.99 / £19.99. Additionally, those who pre-order the game will receive bonus costumes for Lady and Trish when the game is released. PlayStation 4 users will also receive a custom theme.

Speaking of costumes, hit the jump to see ‘em! We’ve also got a spiffy new trailer showcasing gameplay for all five of the game’s awesome playable characters, as well as some new screens.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/05/12/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-release-date-pricing-gameplay-trailer-and-costumes

^ Never heard of any platform differences in performance or graphics between the 2 last generation console versions.

360 version has achievements while PS3 doesn't have trophies... the game came out before they were implemented. Instead it has the trophies implemented into an internal system so you can still unlock em' they just won't be tied to your PSN account.

Beyond that they should be identical.

Capcom's MT framework usually meant games were very close across 360 and PS3 but the 360 had an advantage over PS3 for DMC4. Digital foundry should have a better summary.

• Advertisement

So... where/when can I pre-order the Steam version?

Advertisement