Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question

Options
  • 23-03-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭

What difference would it make were I to start using a running shoe with a 12mm heel drop, as opposed to an 8mm heel drop?

Comments

in terms of noticing a difference, probably not a lot imo. Heel drops only really become noticeable at 4mm or below in terms of risking increased strain on your calves and achilles. I'd go with 8mm though - will encourage you to run more on your midfoot than 12mm which is a good habit. heel-striking is not good for your knees and shins as it passes more impact energy up through your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

glasso wrote: »
    in terms of noticing a difference, probably not a lot imo. Heel drops only really become noticeable at 4mm or below in terms of risking increased strain on your calves and achilles. I'd go with 8mm though - will encourage you to run more on your midfoot than 12mm which is a good habit. heel-striking is not good for your knees and shins as it passes more impact energy up through your legs.

Cheers for the reply.
    The reason I ask is I see there are some New Balance M590v3's going cheap.
    The heel drop seems to be the only difference from the shoes I would normally wear.

Anyone got any experience of these shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Had knee/hip problems previously and have found less heel helpful. I'd be careful transitioning though as your calves/ achilles will feel the difference. You might end up creating a problem where none exists.

Advertisement