Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on a problem with eircom

Options
  • 23-03-2015 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

So, we've had a phone and broadband contract with eircom for years, and a few months ago, they called my mum offering her a mobile phone contract if she switched her phone to them. The first handset they sent out had a problem and had to be replaced, which wouldn't have been a big problem if their customer service line didn't keep dropping calls. I'm just going to say that it took days.

She was also asked for her bank details. She explained to the marketer she didn't want to play by direct debit. She was led to believe this wouldn't be a problem, and she could continue paying in her usual way.

So anyway, she's getting used to the new phone when the first bill arrives. It turns out that, rather than having the phone added to the existing contract, the broadband contract has been changed to a markedly inferior one that costs more and has a download limit. Mum doesn't recall any of this being explained to her over the phone when she agreed to it. They also took the money from her account by direct debit, despite her instructions not to.

The bank reclaimed the money and stopped any further payments to eircom, and we sent them a letter complaining about this and seeking to cancel the contract (if I remember my Leaving Cert business, you can't consent to a contract you don't understand, so it should be invalid anyway). They didn't respond, and another bill arrived today (though it's dated the 13th, and seemed to be under the impression that it would be paid by direct debit)

I'm not sure what to do. We've no intention of paying this, but who do we take the complaint to now that eircom's ignored it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Eircom's customer service sucks.

They keep ringing my grandmother who's 93 to offer her the latest deals, even though they have been repeatedly told not to;

My daughter availed of an online phone/broadband offer, all ok until the bill arrived, which was higher than the online offer. Eventually sorted it out via boards/talk to eircom, but not even a hint of sorry or apology and no reason given for the mistake;

They are last on my list when shopping around for telecoms deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

Even if their customer service line wasn't terrible, I really hate the idea of complaining to them on their terms. Surely, the onus is on them to respond to the letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's stick to offering the OP advice, rather than recounting anecdotes about eircom.

OP - do you want me to move this to the Talk to Eircom forum to see if the reps there can help?

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Letter isn't going to do much anymore (it could take a while to reach someone who will take a look at it!), you're best off ringing them or going through the Talk To forum.

Moving it might be a good idea, if the reps there can actually do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'll move it over now. If you're not getting any help, you can use the "Report Post" button to request it to be moved back here.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Smiley92a

I understand the level of concern that this can create and apologise for the inconvenience experienced so far.

Direct debit is a specific condition of payment when for mobile phone bundling so it is indeed odd that your mother was advised it would not be a problem to continue paying manually - however it's also odd that direct debit details were supplied when signing up. I'm also sorry to hear of the inferior and more expensive broadband package and again any changes should be explained before application.

The best way to pursue the issues raised here (Potential inaccurate information supplied surrounding Direct debit payment & broadband package) is to lodge an official complaint to eircom and in this complaint equally requesting that the phone call be traced and listened to. Once a formal complaint is registered it is escalated for investigation where a manager would then contact your mother within 10 working days with eircoms position on the issues raised.

Your mother can log a complaint online here: https://www.eircom.net/logacomplaint.jsp or by letter ensuring to add the following information[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]- First name and surname
    - The eircom account number
    - Nature of complaint[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]to[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]
    Customer complaints
    5th Floor,
    Telephone house
    Marlborough street,
    Dublin 1[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

I hope this helps and if there is any else I can help with please let me know,

Thanks
    Al

Thank you very much for your advice. The letter we sent did have the details necessary, but wasn't sent to the specific customer complaints department. We'll re-draft the letter and send it there. We'll also include the request that the call be traced. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Smiley92a wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your advice. The letter we sent did have the details necessary, but wasn't sent to the specific customer complaints department. We'll re-draft the letter and send it there. We'll also include the request that the call be traced. Thank you.
    You are very welcome Smiley92a

That would be highly advisable but it may be more convenient for you to log the complaint here https://www.eircom.net/logacomplaint.jsp although that's entirely your choice and each method is treated with the up-most care as the other.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement