Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Roche 2 and 3 county charity run in Balrothery / NCD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yep.
    I am going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bcmf wrote: »
    Yep.
    I am going!

You owe us a Hell of the North (County Dublin) as an aside bcmf

Inquitus wrote: »
    You owe us a Hell of the North (County Dublin) as an aside bcmf

Ha yeah! Strangley I was only thinking about that today!
    Deffo needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just signed up for the 80k.
    Thanks OP, hadn't heard about it before now.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Grumpy Cyclist

Would like to do this. Bit puzzled by which 3 counties we cycle through ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭gripcasey

I signed up.
    Grumpy Cyclist Dublin Meath Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Grumpy Cyclist

Ah, Louth is not on either route.
    Still confused. Is it counting Dublin and Fingal as two separate counties ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

So I signed up, and apart from the website above with not much detail I don't have a clue what to do.
    Do I just cycle around Balrothery at 0800 on the 12th and follow the crowd?
    Do I have to register there by a certain time?
    Is it like a sportive with tea stations on the way for lesser able cyclists?
    Have I signed up for something more akin to a race and I will be left behind?
    Will the roads be marshalled????

I assume I will get some communication on all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭gripcasey

Here is alink to 80Km route if anyone interested.
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/597273755#.VRE5wmw0FSQ.facebook

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No, starts in Dublin goes through Meath and Louth (that's 3 innit??)

Am signed up for it but know no more than anyone who's posted already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I clearly goes very close to Drogheda which is in Louth so be very surprised if it didnt cross the border.

And it doesnt leave Fingal to enter "dublin"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

some parts of drogheda are in meath....

lennymc wrote: »
    some parts of drogheda are in meath....

Jaysus. That's some double dose of bad luck for those poor unfortunates who live in that hell
    First having the bad luck of having to say your from Drogheda. Then having to say Drogheda, Co Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

It sure is. Thankfully I'm from Dublin.

I was reminiscing earlier, thinking of how my family used to go to Mosney on holidays (we were posh). We would drive up the old N1, passing the various towns along the way. It was then I had remembered something that always stuck with me - it was that Balrothery always struck me as somewhere where it would be quite normal for the locals to marry their sister. True story bro.

I probably wont do this spin - it's too much like my commute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I was reminiscing earlier, thinking of how my family used to go to Mosney on holidays (we were posh). We would drive up the old N1, passing the various towns along the way. It was then I had remembered something that always stuck with me - it was that Balrothery always struck me as somewhere where it would be quite normal for the locals to marry their sister. True story bro.

Velo club Balrothery find that amusing...

hi52f53e80.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

bcmf wrote: »
    Jaysus. That's some double dose of bad luck for those poor unfortunates who live in that hell
    First having the bad luck of having to say your from Drogheda. Then having to say Drogheda, Co Meath.

You think that's bad!
    I live in Drogheda. The house is in Co. Meath, while part of my garden is in Co. Louth. I don't know, whether I'm coming or going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You think that's bad!
    I live in Drogheda. The house is in Co. Meath, while part of my garden is in Co. Louth. I don't know, whether I'm coming or going

Just wait until the postal codes come in. You'll be rightly fcuked then. Probably best to just stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

It sure is. Thankfully I'm from Dublin.

I probably wont do this spin - it's too much like my commute.

I remember the auld lad used to take me to horse riding lessons in Laytown and we used to stop in what is now Java Jct (I think) but used to be Matthews shop run by the man, presumably Matthew, and his wife from the little house next door. Back in the days before the mighty M1....

I used to think that it was bleedin ages and ages away from Ballymarnock. Of course, I was smaller back then so distances were greater!

Where is this kicking off from, Balrothery Inn?
    Balrothery is a big place, don't want to get caught in a crossfire between the eastside and westside crews.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭octyvrs

furiousox wrote: »
    Where is this kicking off from, Balrothery Inn?
    Balrothery is a big place, don't want to get caught in a crossfire between the eastside and westside crews.

Any update on this yet anyone?..food stop?..
    Cheers,
    Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

8.30am start from Balrothery Inn probably.

http://balbriggan.info/stephen-roche-3-county-80km-2-county-50km-challenge/

Phone number and email address at the bottom of that link for further info.

Received this info email earlier

The Stephen Roche 3 county and 2 county cycle challenge takes place this Sunday the 12th of April 2015.
    The event will commence and finish at the Balrothery Inn and care parking will be available in North County Cricket Club and in the Balbriggan Rugby Club which is located only 100 meters away.
    Registration will be located at the Balrothery Inn and will commence at 0700am and finish at 0900am.
    Please allow plenty of time, an hour at least before your challenge starts to park, register, set up your bike etc.
    Tea and coffee will be provided complimentary.
    The 80km will start at 0830am sharp with briefing at 0825am.
    The 50km will start at 0915am sharp with briefing at 0910am.
    All participants will recieve a finihers medal and a commemorative water bottle to remember the day.
    If you have availed of the gold package, lunch will be served from 1-2.30pm in Balscadden followed by questions and answers hosted by Gerard Cromwell.
    We must remind participants that there are no road closures and cyclists must adhere to the rules of the road.
    The course will be marshalled as well as signs and support cars on route.
    On behalf of Stephen Roche, Balbriggan Cancer Support Group and the White Hart Inn we look forward to seeing you all bright and early Sunday morning, in what will prove to be a great morning of cycling for a very worthy cause.
    Thank you
    Balbriggan Cancer Support Group

CPL 593H

That was fun!
    Well run and organised.
    Had never met Stephen Roche before but he was very friendly and looks fit and well.
    Wet, cold and windy .....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Well run and organised.
    Yeah - very impressive - wonder how they managed to get the OK to stop traffic at junctions in Fingal:rolleyes:

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah - very impressive - wonder how they managed to get the OK to stop traffic at junctions in Fingal:rolleyes:

Dunno ....

Anyway here's a picture of much beauty to keep you all happy..

CCY3h8DXIAA3bDA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Very tough conditions so fair play to the marshals for standing out in it. First time meeting the main man and he's a real gent.
    Lovely medal too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

That was my first Sportive and I enjoyed it. I did the 50k. Was going to do the 80k but we had mechanical issues and missed the start time.

My friend had 3 punctures at the start (one at the pub) and we ran out of tubes and she abandoned..... I was then paddy last... but took a lift from the bottom of Nags Head to the Naul in the ambulance to catch up with the 'last' person :)

Did some change the route for the weather or did I go wrong? Once I caught up in the Naul I spent a lot of time 'powering' ahead to catch up with a friend.... did so, stopped to eat 1 banana, and then everybody whizzed passed me!

Never saw Mr. Roche.

Next stop... Sean Kelly 160k!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Velo club Balrothery find that amusing...

hi52f53e80.jpg
    Dunno ....

Anyway here's a picture of much beauty to keep you all happy..

CCY3h8DXIAA3bDA.jpg

Its amazing what a good dentist can do.
    Tough day today but glad I did it.

you will be stronger for it as well,Dave!
    Every spin after this will seem warm and toasty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement