Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Fire Stick Launch Sale Tomorrow Morning [Amazon]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

jester77 wrote: »
    Ah, didn't realise you were referencing the UK site, here is the German offer:

Yeah, I was on German site, same offer, just posted UK deal for language.
    Some people saying Student Prime (free for 6 months and can cancel next month etc..) works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'll pass I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Allyall wrote: »
    Yeah, I was on German site, same offer, just posted UK deal for language.
    Some people saying Student Prime (free for 6 months and can cancel next month etc..) works.

How would you provide proof of being a student in the uk though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Will showbox work on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Nice, just got one for €19 but it won't be delivered until April 15th

How . mine won't deliver to PM or my Irish address

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Moyglish

How . mine won't deliver to PM or my Irish address

Jester is in Hamburg I believe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Does anyone know it possible to sign up for the free prime trial on UK site using Parcel Motel address and an Irish credit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The offer for Prime is for paying customers only. I am on Prime but don't pay, thus is €39 on the UK or German sites.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Moyglish wrote: »
    Jester is in Hamburg I believe :)

Was he having a laugh at us pixie heads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Would this be worth getting at full price?
    How does it differ from a Chromecast?
    Are there better/cheaper devices out there, that do a similar job?

I bit the bullet at £19.
    Now to see if it works here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭thomqs

anyone know if the free student prime works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

thomqs wrote: »
    anyone know if the free student prime works?

Dont think you can sign up for student prime in Ireland but you can get a free months trial and buy it for 19.

Convertcto paid membership in 30 days and get a £12 refund.
    Net cost £7.

£79 for prime with free kindle library. Next day to PM and prime movies via a VPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Netflix have hardcoded the Google DNS IPs into their app for performance reasons, so changing the DNS on this thing probably won't work. But for €19 I am willing to try this out and see.

Changing DNS works on PS3, my LG Blu Ray player, WDTV box and they all use a Netflix app of some description?

Why do you think it wouldn't work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

This or the Mk808b plus??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Amazon rep says the prime content will not work in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

noodler wrote: »
    Changing DNS works on PS3, my LG Blu Ray player, WDTV box and they all use a Netflix app of some description?

Why do you think it wouldn't work?

None of those are android apps. They have hardcoded the Google DNS servers into their android apps, so any platform that runs android would be unable to circumvent these easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

None of those are android apps. They have hardcoded the Google DNS servers into their android apps, so any platform that runs android would be unable to circumvent these easily.

Ah, gotcha (kinda).

Cheers.

Swampy wrote: »
    Amazon rep says the prime content will not work in Ireland.

It works on a UK VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭podge3

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Already had signed up a few years ago for the free amazon prime trial so I presumed I couldn't get another free month but I did. Then when signed up I added the stick to the cart. Its only at the last screen before clicking place order that the total drops to £19. Should have it on the 19th April. Thanks op.

Then just so you don't forget to cancel your sub , click on my account- prime membership and click do not continue on the left hand side.
    Be careful of this - see the T&Cs for the offer i.e.

If the customer (i) returns the Promoted Item, (ii) cancels Prime Free Trial before it converts into an annual Prime membership, or (iii) cancels the annual Prime paid membership before the annual expiration, Amazon reserves the right to subtract, in whole or in part, the value of the promotional discount and/or the Refund from the return credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

podge3 wrote: »
    Be care of this - see the T&Cs for the offer i.e.

If the customer (i) returns the Promoted Item, (ii) cancels Prime Free Trial before it converts into an annual Prime membership, or (iii) cancels the annual Prime paid membership before the annual expiration, Amazon reserves the right to subtract, in whole or in part, the value of the promotional discount and/or the Refund from the return credit.

DOH! Just spun the wheel myself there we'll see what happens in April I suppose.

Didn't spot that in the terms and conditions. I wouldn't recommend my way so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I don't think that's correct, the app on my Android phone and my kids tablets uses the DNS server of the device, I have no trouble using Netflix of different regions on those. I think that the Chromecast has DNS hardcoded into it, which the Netflix app of that device takes advantage of but I don't think it's coded into the app itself.

Be careful of this - see the T&Cs for the offer i.e.

I cannot see that in the terms and conditions:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000848373

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

bren2001 wrote: »

Those aren't the terms I see on the page linked in the op. Anyho my reading is it refers to the extra £12 credit. for the £19 special price.

moodrater wrote: »
    Those aren't the terms I see on the page linked in the op. Anyho my reading is it refers to the extra £12 credit. for the £19 special price.

It is not from the link in the op. It is taken from clicking on the amazon.co.uk website. None the less, that was my take on it as well and is confirmed in the FAQ's:

4. What happens if I cancel my Prime membership?
    If you cancel within the 30-day free trial period, you will not be upgraded to a paid annual membership and will not receive the additional £12 refund.
    If you cancel during the first year of your paid membership, Amazon Prime Terms & Conditions apply and Amazon reserves the right to subtract, in whole or in part, the value of the promotional discount and/or the refund from the return credit. Learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Anybody here with Prime want to take orders for the rest of us :D

unless its 1 per account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Anyone got a mailboxede.com address and is a german prime member that can buy a load of these today from the German site?

I would gladly pay €50 for 2 delivered to me if anyone is game?

doctorg wrote: »
    Anybody here with Prime want to take orders for the rest of us :D

unless its 1 per account

One unit per customer on the UK site, didn't check .de but I assume its the same.

• Advertisement

reni10 wrote: »
    Anyone got a mailboxede.com address and is a german prime member that can buy a load of these today from the German site?

I would gladly pay €50 for 2 delivered to me if anyone is game?

Why not just get them from the .co.uk at that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Would this be worth getting at full price?
    How does it differ from a Chromecast?
    Are there better/cheaper devices out there, that do a similar job?

Chromecast is a very competent bit of kit for small money, but it won't do anything unless directed by an Android device or a Mac/PC. Having said that, it is powerful in its simplicity, streaming just about anything (with the help of Android apps/extensions) accessible by the controlling device to the HDTV.

Fire TV is what you'd call an actual media hub, aggregating and streaming content from various providers via a bespoke user interface and an included remote control, although you may control it from an Android device if you wish, using an app. The selection of content is much better than with Chromecast, although the actual "casting" end of it is somewhat limited.

Personally, if I was to invest in one of these things I'd go for the slightly more expensive Roku Streaming Stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

For those of you interesting in knowing more about the stick and using it outside of its 'home' market. http://www.eyeondemand.com/2015/03/24/amazon-fire-tv-stick-review/

moodrater wrote: »

It is not from the link in the op. It is taken from clicking on the amazon.co.uk website. None the less, that was my take on it as well and is confirmed in the FAQ's:

4. What happens if I cancel my Prime membership?
    If you cancel within the 30-day free trial period, you will not be upgraded to a paid annual membership and will not receive the additional £12 refund.
    If you cancel during the first year of your paid membership, Amazon Prime Terms & Conditions apply and Amazon reserves the right to subtract, in whole or in part, the value of the promotional discount and/or the refund from the return credit. Learn more.
    It says here quite plainly that

"If the customer (i) returns the Promoted Item, (ii) cancels Prime Free Trial before it converts into an annual Prime membership, or (iii) cancels the annual Prime paid membership before the annual expiration, Amazon reserves the right to subtract, in whole or in part, the value of the promotional discount and/or the Refund from the return credit."

I would understand the promotional discount to be the initial £16 discount and the refund is the £12 back - both of which can be charged if you cancel Prime.

It says here quite plainly that

"If the customer (i) returns the Promoted Item, (ii) cancels Prime Free Trial before it converts into an annual Prime membership, or (iii) cancels the annual Prime paid membership before the annual expiration, Amazon reserves the right to subtract, in whole or in part, the value of the promotional discount and/or the Refund from the return credit."

I would understand the promotional discount to be the initial £16 discount and the refund is the £12 back - both of which can be charged if you cancel Prime.

The terms state that they can retract the £16 discount. However, I don't believe that is the intention of the wording. It is clear in the FAQ that you simply don't get the additional discount. Amazon are ridiculously good to deal with in my experience I don't believe they would try and trick people in that manner.

The terms state that they can retract the £16 discount. However, I don't believe that is the intention of the wording. It is clear in the FAQ that you simply don't get the additional discount. Amazon are ridiculously good to deal with in my experience I don't believe they would try and trick people in that manner.
    I agree that Amazon are absolutely the best to deal with but I think its pretty black and white i.e.

Amazon reserves the right to subtract, in whole or in part, the value of the promotional discount and/or the Refund from the return credit

Whether they would actually do it or not is another question.

I already have a Fire TV so I'm not going to get this. I think at (even) £19 (about €30 with Parcelmotel) its not really worth it. IMHO, of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Everyone seems to be doing it anyway. On HUKD there's a thread (I didn't read it, but saw some mentions) and on German website everyone there is doing it also.
    Seems many people are also setting up multiple accounts to avail of it.

I can't imagine Amazon going after every individual for the rest of the money when they cancel their prime accounts. I'd guess they're banking on many forgetting to cancel.
    One of the offers with the stick, is a free months Prime trial..

I just noticed that the Fire Stick can be shipped directly to the Rep Of Ireland :confused:. I had to get my Fire TV shipped via Parcelmotel.

Kinda tempted now for about €25 (if Amazon don't take back the discount) :pac:

I just noticed that the Fire Stick can be shipped directly to the Rep Of Ireland :confused:. I had to get my Fire TV shipped via Parcelmotel.

You can log in and change shipping address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Which site is shipping directly to Ireland - Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de?

Moyglish wrote: »
    Which site is shipping directly to Ireland - Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de?

UK one does anyway. That's where mine is coming from.

But won't there be a delivery charge as it's under £25 so cheaper to use PM?

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    You can log in and change shipping address.
    Yes, but my point is that Amazon would NOT ship the Fire TV directly to Ireland - even by changing the shipping address. I had to go through Parcelmotel for both the initial purchase and the replacement as the first one was faulty.

NATLOR wrote: »
    But won't there be a delivery charge as it's under £25 so cheaper to use PM?

No its free super saver delivery. Could be included in the prime subscription.

Yes, but my point is that Amazon would NOT ship the Fire TV directly to Ireland - even by changing the shipping address. I had to go through Parcelmotel for both the initial purchase and the replacement as the first one was faulty.

I know it says they'll only deliver to the UK but mine went through anyway.

• Advertisement

So when signing up for the trial can i use my Irish credit card already linked to Amazon and they are looking for billing address so do i use parcel motel for that?

So when signing up for the trial can i use my Irish credit card already linked to Amazon and they are looking for billing address so do i use parcel motel for that?

I just used my Irish visa debit card that was already linked to the account and chose my Irish address. Got the confirmation email so all is going fine so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Just used my usual Irish card and billing address. Added a few items to bring it above £25 and got free delivery. Simples!

baldshin wrote: »
    Just used my usual Irish card and billing address. Added a few items to bring it above £25 and got free delivery. Simples!

You don't need to make it up to £25 as the original price of the stick is £35 which is the price taken for delivery purposes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

You don't need to make it up to £25 as the original price of the stick is £35 which is the price taken for delivery purposes

Good to know, I did actually need the other stuff though so no harm done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement