Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Fire Stick Launch Sale Tomorrow Morning [Amazon]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Is the fire stick able to run android apks ?
    I've seen videos where it can run emulators etc but would I be able to load the likes of GTA, bards tale etc from my android tablet onto it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

baldshin wrote: »
    Good to know, I did actually need the other stuff though so no harm done.

Mine won't switch to free shipping to Ireland.

Costs me £6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Is the fire stick able to run android apks ?
    I've seen videos where it can run emulators etc but would I be able to load the likes of GTA, bards tale etc from my android tablet onto it?

For the most part you can sideload APKs but I have had some that just wouldn't sideload. I think I've seen more issues with sideloading on the FTV Stick than on the FTV. Bit of trial and error. I haven't tried any emulators / games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Seems I only got it shipped direct by accident! Got this email this morning:
    Hello,

We've identified that your recent Fire TV Stick order has a delivery address within the Republic of Ireland.

Due to a temporary technical issue, orders of Fire TV Stick from Amazon.co.uk were accepted to delivery addresses within the Republic of Ireland for a limited time. This issue has since been resolved.

Due to content licensing restrictions, Amazon Instant Video transactions and Prime Instant Video services from Amazon.co.uk, can only be purchased, streamed, and downloaded by customers in the United Kingdom and Channel Islands. Similar restrictions may apply to some third party applications or games. Due to these restrictions you may experience limited functionality, if you intend to use Fire TV Stick outside of the United Kingdom or Channel Islands.

If you still wish to receive your Fire TV Stick order, no further action is required on your behalf. However, should you wish to cancel your order, please follow these steps:

1. Visit the URL: http://www.amazon.co.uk/
    2. Click on the "Your Orders" button to View, Modify, Track or Cancel an order
    3. Select the open Fire TV Stick order that you wish to modify and then click "Cancel Item".

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Thanks for your interest in Fire TV Stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

Yep got that too. Must remember to cancel my Prime subscription the day it ships!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

baldshin wrote: »
    Yep got that too. Must remember to cancel my Prime subscription the day it ships!

You can cancel immediately and retain prime for a month. At least that's how it worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Does prime music work over here? I see its added on the US azmzon site but unsure about the UK and so 'our's'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

god's toy wrote: »
    Does prime music work over here? I see its added on the US azmzon site but unsure about the UK and so 'our's'

When (Amazon) LoveFilm was launched in the UK it didn't include Ireland. Not sure if Prime Music would.
    I don't think Ireland qualifies for Prime anyway...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201277340

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

jester77 wrote: »
    Netflix have hardcoded the Google DNS IPs into their app for performance reasons, so changing the DNS on this thing probably won't work. But for €19 I am willing to try this out and see.

all you need to do is block 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 at your firewall/router, the device will use the fallback DNS provided by router. same story as with Roku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My stick just arrived on my desk today. Will give it a run this evening and see if it is of any use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am hoping these will be reduced again after tomorrow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

My stick just arrived on my desk today. Will give it a run this evening and see if it is of any use.

Mine's on the way. Wasn't expecting it to be dispatched until next week. Not an Amazon Prime user but hoping I can learn to sideload decent apps. Already have a Roku LT so don't need it but though I'd give it a go seeing how it was on offer

I got it up and running, very straight forward and it is already connected to your Amazon account. There is a very cheesy intro video and then you land in the menu. I have it connected to a USB port on my receiver but it pops up at the start and recommends to connect to a power outlet. I didn't do this, but it works ok so far. I'll see if extra power is needed over the next few days.

I'm not sure what to make of the menu. It is very clunky and confusing and I don't see a way to hide sections. Music I've previously purchased is under the music section, kind of nice but at the same time, this is only a very small subset of my collection so I can't see myself using it.

There is a photos section that would show any photos you would have backed up, useless for me and was not able to turn it off.

The Video section(s) is very confusing, there is 2 or 3 sections and I am not sure what the difference is. I didn't play much with it, maybe it will become obvious.

I was able to install Netflix. Don't like the layout too much. Just a big wall of thumbnails and awkward for navigating. Search will be required here. I will change the DNS settings tonight and see how it performs with the US Netflix.

Overall, it works smoothly, not bad for €19. I would install the fire remote app and use that for finding stuff and then the remote for controlling playback.

I got it up and running, very straight forward and it is already connected to your Amazon account. There is a very cheesy intro video and then you land in the menu. I have it connected to a USB port on my receiver but it pops up at the start and recommends to connect to a power outlet. I didn't do this, but it works ok so far. I'll see if extra power is needed over the next few days.

I'm not sure what to make of the menu. It is very clunky and confusing and I don't see a way to hide sections. Music I've previously purchased is under the music section, kind of nice but at the same time, this is only a very small subset of my collection so I can't see myself using it.

There is a photos section that would show any photos you would have backed up, useless for me and was not able to turn it off.

The Video section(s) is very confusing, there is 2 or 3 sections and I am not sure what the difference is. I didn't play much with it, maybe it will become obvious.

I was able to install Netflix. Don't like the layout too much. Just a big wall of thumbnails and awkward for navigating. Search will be required here. I will change the DNS settings tonight and see how it performs with the US Netflix.

Overall, it works smoothly, not bad for €19. I would install the fire remote app and use that for finding stuff and then the remote for controlling playback.

Thanks for the fb.
    What DNS settings did you use to get it working?

Thanks for the fb.
    What DNS settings did you use to get it working?

I didn't try it out yet. I'll give it a go this evening, I've a sub with overplay and I use their settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I didn't try it out yet. I'll give it a go this evening, I've a sub with overplay and I use their settings.

Just arrived at parcel motel depot thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I have mine plugged in the tv's USB too and it has never required more power. Even for software updates. That warning just appears on the very first start up.

mailforkev wrote: »
    I have mine plugged in the tv's USB too and it has never required more power. Even for software updates. That warning just appears on the very first start up.

The issue with TV USB power as google points out with the chromecast is that it often goes off with the TV and if that happens during a software update you can get bricked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

moodrater wrote: »
    The issue with TV USB power as google points out with the chromecast is that it often goes off with the TV and if that happens during a software update you can get bricked.

True, but as long as you leave the tv on during an update it's grand.

The fact that the stick turns off when you turn off the tv is a plus for me. Saves pressing two buttons to turn them off.

• Advertisement

Just changed the DNS and tested Netflix. Works great, have US Netflix and German Prime working together. Pretty neat and a big plus over the Chromecast.

Just changed the DNS and tested Netflix. Works great, have US Netflix and German Prime working together. Pretty neat and a big plus over the Chromecast.

What settings did you use?

What settings did you use?

I used the default settings from Overplay.

Got mine setup thought I'd be able to sideload the new channel 4 "All 4" apk but it turns out the drm required widevine is missing anyone manage to install it?

Mine arrived this morning. Thumbs up so far, got kodi on there, works well but I've been using mobdro mostly, nice interface and works perfectly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

www.mobdro.com

Could you explain exactly how you got KODI on please (with links if possible)? I tried lasting habit it didn't work.

Also, what is mobdro?

Won't get a chance to give a detailed response for a few days as I'm away to a wedding but I'll reply properly after the weekend if you're still stuck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is the WWE Network app available does anyone know?

Or can it be sideloaded on?

Have you got adb installed? Can you connect to the IP address?

You may have an outdated adb.

Simplest way to get adb is here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Download the kodi apk from here:
    http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/kodi-14.2-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk

adb connect IP_ADDRESS_OF_FIRE_STICK
    e.g. adb connect 192.168.1.11

adb install PATH_TO_APK
    e.g. adb connect c:\users\admin\downloads\kodi-14.2-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk

To access it you neet to go settings applications and scroll to the bottom manage applications, select and launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

Will there be a big difference in just downloading kodi from amazon app than going through adb setup. No experience on installing kodi on any device.

angelmum wrote: »
    Will there be a big difference in just downloading kodi from amazon app than going through adb setup. No experience on installing kodi on any device.

AFAIK it Amazon says its incompatible however if you sideload it, then go to your computer log into amazon and 'buy' it it will appear in your recent apps and you can use that link to launch the side loaded version.

If you have an android phone then wukong remote from play store gives you remote, mouse keyboard and app launching in one works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I used this tutorial to sideload Kodi also explains how to get the app on your home screen

Is anyone using Smart DNS Proxy with their firestick?

What settings do I need for the UK?
    I'm using an eircom router and its asking for
    Host Name :
    IPv4 Address :

I don't see it on their site

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

First it would be easier to set up the DNS directly on the Fire Stick. http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/193478-setting-up-unodns-on-your-amazon-fire-tv- This is an example, you can choose own provider, but you get their DNS addresses from the provice.

Not all routers have support to change the DNS addresses on the router. Although setting up the DNS on the router allows all devices to come geounblocked unless those devices have their DNS setup to overwrite the router's DNS settings.

There are many DNS relocator services and most have free trials or money back guarantees.

I got my email from Amazon today refunding me £12 on the cost of my Firestick as a result of having Amazon Prime :)

I got my email from Amazon today refunding me £12 on the cost of my Firestick as a result of having Amazon Prime :)

Did you keep on the subscription then, didn't think it was worthwhile.

Did you keep on the subscription then, didn't think it was worthwhile.

I have prime movies working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Some initial feedback from adopters of this, is that it works better for KODI then ATV2, which is a pretty big remark to make in fairness.

I'd be tempted to see how it goes longterm regarding performance. You can never judge Kodi performance on hardware short term, only longer term when your cache and buffers start to fill, and you see how well the hardware handles.

Be interesting though, might finally bring the price of second hand ATV's down to something more affordable for people. They fetch in excess of €200 on ebay.

Not overly interested myself as I have a HTPC, but depending on how the Kodi apps work (1channel, icefilms, pheonix) I might well pick one up for the spare TV, and also as a really easy and handy way to setup for friends.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Some initial feedback from adopters of this, is that it works better for KODI then ATV2, which is a pretty big remark to make in fairness.

I'd be tempted to see how it goes longterm regarding performance. You can never judge Kodi performance on hardware short term, only longer term when your cache and buffers start to fill, and you see how well the hardware handles.

Be interesting though, might finally bring the price of second hand ATV's down to something more affordable for people. They fetch in excess of €200 on ebay.

Not overly interested myself as I have a HTPC, but depending on how the Kodi apps work (1channel, icefilms, pheonix) I might well pick one up for the spare TV, and also as a really easy and handy way to setup for friends.

I bought mine for Kodi, which I've never been a big fan of, but I thought I'd give it another go seeing as how the Fire Stick was on a deal. I still think Kodi is overrated as it's often hit and miss even with the decent apps mentioned above but it's not bad on the Fire Stick after six weeks or so and I use it a fair bit. The Fire Stick is also good with Plex. That's about all I use it for but a big plus is that it's really portable so I can bring it up to my dad's place to watch football through Kodi and I'll be bringing it on holiday this summer to access my Plex library.

• Advertisement

Sold my ATV to CEX to get this, great decision. Runs Kodi flawlessly, and much easier to install and manage.

jakdublin wrote: »
    I still think Kodi is overrated as it's often hit and miss even with the decent apps mentioned above

+1 I find it clunky and unreliable and such a hassle to configure compared to android apps like showbox popcorntime mobdro filmon zattoo iplayer all4 I haven't had a reason to start it up in months.

+1 I find it clunky and unreliable and such a hassle to configure compared to android apps like showbox popcorntime mobdro filmon zattoo iplayer all4 I haven't had a reason to start it up in months.

Must try sideloading some of those onto the Fire Stick :-) I just use Kodi for watching the soccer, but like you say it's not always reliable.

jakdublin wrote: »
    Must try sideloading some of those onto the Fire Stick :-) I just use Kodi for watching the soccer, but like you say it's not always reliable.
    If you have an android phone Wukong remote works great as a mouse for the ones that don't work right with the remote it also works as a launcher. You can alternatively connect a bluetooth mouse you need settings.apk its linked from the XDA fore TV forum. Mobdro has the soccer too but its not great quality. At least on my connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Have to say got 2 fire sticks and have kodi running fairly well on them, yes they can frustrate at times but in the main i find them great. It beats launching kodi from my phone and mirroring it to a chromecast dongle and its much more stable. For the sports alone it pays for itself in a couple of months plus the benefit of movies and tv shows. Kodi is constantly evolving and hopefully they ll become even more stable. All in all the fire stick is great value

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

anyone used slingplayer on the fire stick? want to compare it to roku and chromecast

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Where can you get the fire stick in Ireland...parcel motel job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

Joziburg wrote: »
    Where can you get the fire stick in Ireland...parcel motel job?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This is down to £25 now - great device at that price

• Advertisement

This is down to £25 now - great device at that price
    An even better device for £7 :)

The selection of Movies are a bit hit and miss but works out cheaper than sky.

Advertisement