Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Fire Stick Launch Sale Tomorrow Morning [Amazon]

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Joo0, I would love to take it off you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Seeing as this was the subject of a recent BA ...

Is there anyway to actually download the BBC app to the firestick?
    I've the dns setup and a UK address set on my account, amazon prime vids work, but when I go to the BBC app all I see is "pricing not available".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Seeing as this was the subject of a recent BA ...

Is there anyway to actually download the BBC app to the firestick?
    I've the dns setup and a UK address set on my account, amazon prime vids work, but when I go to the BBC app all I see is "pricing not available".

Have you tried pushing the APK to the device using something like adbFire?

I had the same problem with Spotify so I just installed it manually.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Have you tried pushing the APK to the device using something like adbFire?

I had the same problem with Spotify so I just installed it manually.

I didn't know you could! I haven't heard of adbFire, but I'll look it up right now. Just got it today. Thanks for the heads up!
    Do you install regular android apks or do you need Fire specific apks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I didn't know you could! I haven't heard of adbFire, but I'll look it up right now. Just got it today. Thanks for the heads up!
    Do you install regular android apks or do you need Fire specific apks?

There are lists online (although most don't seem to have been maintained) showing what regular android APKs will work and which ones don't. You can always try the regular android one and see if it works.

Another thing you can try is delivering the app to your stick through the amazon site - https://www.amazon.com/BBC-iPlayer/dp/B00OP4CQE0/ref=sr_1_2?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1468621708&sr=1-2&keywords=bbc+iplayer

There are lists online (although most don't seem to have been maintained) showing what regular android APKs will work and which ones don't. You can always try the regular android one and see if it works.

Another thing you can try is delivering the app to your stick through the amazon site - https://www.amazon.com/BBC-iPlayer/dp/B00OP4CQE0/ref=sr_1_2?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1468621708&sr=1-2&keywords=bbc+iplayer

Thanks a million, I'll try that!Looks like it might work!:)
    EDIT : It did work, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Would be grateful if someone could please help
    I'm a dinosaur when it comes to this kind of stuff!!!

for now, I'm happy to just watch some prime stuff on it, don't be needing to get anything else working for now.

I got my stick today. Tried to use it, but it keeps saying service area restriction the i try to watch some prime content

so i tried a few different settings to change the dns. none worked. still getting the same message. read somewhere about blocking google? i have my pm address as my default address and 1 click ordering turned on.

hope someone could point me in the right direction for a dopey dummy guide :D

I tried this and it seems to have loaded the iPlayer on my fire stick

however when I go to the apps menu, it keeps jumping back up to tv shows menu. I can't get into the apps menu. anyone else with this issue?

Just got Sky Go working on it.

Uploaded the APK file to it using ADBFire and then used an Android remote app to login, a bit clunky but once logged in its not too bad. Def better than other streaming options.

Would love to know how to get Sky Go working on my Fire Stick.... please help :)

• Advertisement

Ok, A good bit of playing around and I have made a breakthrough

I signed up for a free account with unlocator.
    Forum a page there with these settings
    Change the DNS on the Amazon Fire TV (Wireless)

Go to settings
    Select Systems
    Select WI-FI
    Select your WI-FI network and forget WI-FI network by Pressing the button with 3 lines on it.
    Press the select button.
    Select your WI-FI network.
    Enter your WI-FI password and Click on advanced
    Enter the first three groups of numbers exactly the same as the IP address of your router. As an example, if your router IP is 192.168.0.1, then use the IP address 192.168.0.7 or something to that nature. The important part is to change the last digit so you get an IP from the same IP range as the router.
    For the Default gateway enter the IP of your router
    Input 24 for the Network Prefix Length and Click Next
    Enter 185.37.37.37 for DNS 1
    Enter 185.37.39.39 for DNS 2

plugged them all in and hey presto, it seems to work. I have tried one prime movie and it works. Also BBC iPlayer seems to work.

I'm not sure if I will need to sign up for a full account from unlocator, but I didn't have to put any unlocator details into my fire stick, so not really sure how that works..... Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Smart DNS Proxy works with Amazon as well.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ok, A good bit of playing around and I have made a breakthrough

I signed up for a free account with unlocator.
    Forum a page there with these settings

plugged them all in and hey presto, it seems to work. I have tried one prime movie and it works. Also BBC iPlayer seems to work.

I'm not sure if I will need to sign up for a full account from unlocator, but I didn't have to put any unlocator details into my fire stick, so not really sure how that works..... Anyone know?
    Those are unlocator's assigned DNS 1 & 2.

Smart DNS Proxy works with Amazon as well.

I tried them. It didn't work for me
    Those are unlocator's assigned DNS 1 & 2.

Forgive my ignorance but not sure absolutely no idea :o what that means.

So will I need to pay a sub or are these public codes, will they change or expire?

Flying here. Fire sticks, Smart TVs with Amazon app. Tablet. iPhone. You name it.

So will I need to pay a sub or are these public codes, will they change or expire?
    You pay them a fee. That allows one IP address access to their DNS servers. Everytime your router is rebooted or you want to move locations you have to login to Unlocator's manage account page and update your assigned IP address (2 or 3 clicks, very easy).

You'll need to pay a fee but you'll have no problem. You'll leave the code alone & not change it, you'll just login to your account on the PC and pay and everything else will stay as it is. No need to enter new details or change anything on amazon.

• Advertisement

Flying here. Fire sticks, Smart TVs with Amazon app. Tablet. iPhone. You name it.

You pay them a fee. That allows one IP address access to their DNS servers. Everytime your router is rebooted or you want to move locations you have to login to Unlocator's manage account page and update your assigned IP address (2 or 3 clicks, very easy).

thanks for your advice.

so regarding smart dns. i used this page

http://support.smartdnsproxy.com/customer/portal/articles/1600122-amazon-fire-tv-dns-setup-for-smart-dns-proxy

was I using something different to you? i didn't sign up for any trial here, so would that be why it didn't work for me?

Now please forgive my naivety so does this mean unlocator will keep working for me if i don't reboot my router? or will it stop working after the 14 day trial?

thanks for your advice.

so regarding smart dns. i used this page

http://support.smartdnsproxy.com/customer/portal/articles/1600122-amazon-fire-tv-dns-setup-for-smart-dns-proxy

was I using something different to you? i didn't sign up for any trial here, so would that be why it didn't work for me?

Now please forgive my naivety so does this mean unlocator will keep working for me if i don't reboot my router? or will it stop working after the 14 day trial?
    You should have signed up a trial at Smart DNS. That's why it didn't work.

yes, unlocator will stop working after the trial is up unless you sign up a full account.

You should have signed up a trial at Smart DNS. That's why it didn't work.

yes, unlocator will stop working after the trial is up unless you sign up a full account.

Thanks.

I was confused as I signed up on my laptop and entered the dos settings straight in the firestick when linking it to the router. wasn't sure how it could have known it was me.

I'm probably better off not knowing though! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Fire tv stick down to £30 on amazon. Fire tv also down a bit if you need NIC, 4k resolution, USB port
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KAKUN3E/?tag=ho01f-21
    Highly recommended with Kodi and Exodus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah Kodi works great on these. Very easy to operate, extremely simple remote. My kids can work it no bother. And use Youtube, Showbox, Mobdro, etc.

Not a bad buy that was for my €13 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah Kodi works great on these. Very easy to operate, extremely simple remote. My kids can work it no bother. And use Youtube, Showbox, Mobdro, etc.

Does it work ok with wifi

Yeah wifi is fine. Otherwise none of the above would work :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I need to update my kodi on the firestick, is there any easy way to do this and put on showbox as when I last did it a year ago, it was a right pain in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Just regarding the wifi on these, I came across an issue on a couple of them where it would struggle to connect. It would see the wifi but as soon as it tries to connect it would say 'out of range' Anyone here come across this issue?

Since I changed my router I've had no problems but you don't need to go to drastic measures like that, a simple power cycle of the router usually fixes it but gets annoying when it keeps happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ditto, this is quite possibly the best thing I've bought in years.

Every single episode of every series/film known to man at the touch of a button. For Free.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Kolido wrote: »
    Just regarding the wifi on these, I came across an issue on a couple of them where it would struggle to connect. It would see the wifi but as soon as it tries to connect it would say 'out of range' Anyone here come across this issue?

Since I changed my router I've had no problems but you don't need to go to drastic measures like that, a simple power cycle of the router usually fixes it but gets annoying when it keeps happening.

Yip, get that all the time. It's very flaky, it's the only device that has issues with wifi, all others work fine. Chromecast in comparison never ever has an issue, both are plugged into the same receiver in the same location so it's not a signal issue. FireTV shows strong signal but not connected to internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

mrcheez wrote: »
    Ditto, this is quite possibly the best thing I've bought in years.

Every single episode of every series/film known to man at the touch of a button. For Free.

Unbelievable.

This is the type of chat that gets threads locked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

How did you get it for 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jinx257

I got one of these last week. I dunno whats wrong but everytime i try to access a video or series on amazon it give an error that its wrong geographic area. On the other hand, Netflix works perfectly on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

jinx257 wrote: »
    I got one of these last week. I dunno whats wrong but everytime i try to access a video or series on amazon it give an error that its wrong geographic area. On the other hand, Netflix works perfectly on it.

You're in the wrong geographic area, amazon services aren't available here without using unotelly or similar.

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    How did you get it for 13?

It was part of the Audible 3-month sign up deal on Amazon Prime day.

- So get the stick for £19.99 as part of the Amazon Prime Day deal
    - Then £10 off with Audible 3-month sign up
    - Then get £3 back by selecting "slow" delivery (although it took all of 3 days to arrive)

so final price £6.99... which was actually around €9-10 at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Fire tv stick down to £30 on amazon. Fire tv also down a bit if you need NIC, 4k resolution, USB port

£25 Argos uk
    On offer
    Will Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

GY A1 wrote: »
    £25 Argos uk
    On offer
    Will Amazon

link?

£25 Argos uk
    On offer
    Will Amazon

An attempted haiku ?

£25 Argos uk
    On offer
    Will Amazon

No its the same price in argos

TheDriver wrote: »
    I need to update my kodi on the firestick, is there any easy way to do this and put on showbox as when I last did it a year ago, it was a right pain in the ass

Don't bother with showbox, just get exodus, try it with your current version of kodi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can't talk about adding here. You'll get the thread closed.

mrcheez wrote: »
    so final price £6.99... which was actually around €9-10 at the time

Plus parcelmotel delivery charge (€3.95)

So all in about €13 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Tried to buy that there now. But they won't deliver to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Parcel Motel will deliver it to Ireland!

Thats fine if you live near one of their delivery destinations. Just checked it there and it would take me an hour to get to the closest one in Clare. And they have only 2 places.

Why wont they deliver to Ireland anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Parcel Wizard will deliver to your home or Addresspal is run by An Post so collection is done at the post office

NATLOR wrote: »
    Parcel Wizard will deliver to your home or Addresspal is run by An Post so collection is done at the post office

+1 for Parcel Wizard, cheaper too (marginally) ;)

finbarrk wrote: »
    Why wont they deliver to Ireland anyway?
    I'd say mostly because Amazon prime video doesn't work in Ireland. They are only licensed to give it to UK users.
    So when an Irish person gets their hands on a fire tv, most of the standard/Amazon content won't work.
    You have to go for 3rd party apps to get anything useful.

• Advertisement

I'd say mostly because Amazon prime video doesn't work in Ireland. They are only licensed to give it to UK users.
    So when an Irish person gets their hands on a fire tv, most of the standard/Amazon content won't work.
    You have to go for 3rd party apps to get anything useful.

So, basically this item doesn't work properly here in Ireland. Not much of a bargain so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

So, basically this item doesn't work properly here in Ireland. Not much of a bargain so.

the item works great....some of the apps, such as amazon prime won't work unless you go through ha DNS or VPN service (which is very easy to do). Regardless Prime Video is not a free service, there is an annual subscription.
    As other posters mentioned, there is plenty you can still do with this stick. There are loads of apps and games. It is great for using plex or kodi for streaming local network media, there are numerous options with regards to add ons for Kodi.
    I owned loads of these type of devices, starting with the MK80x, google chromecast, lightweight media centre PCs, Apple TV, generic android boxes, amazon Fire TV, amazon Fire Stick etc
    The ones I always go to by default are the fire tv and fire stick. There are well designed, well engineered, great UI etc...
    So I'll politely disagree with your dismissal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

You need to read the thread and do a bit of research before making such statements

Advertisement