Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade time!

Options
  • 23-03-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Its upgrade time! Gonna have a little bit of cash in my pocket over the next 2 weeks and want to upgrade the build that was specced for me, the build is as below...

RAM - 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    Tower - Aerocool GT-R Black Edition Midi-Tower - schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    Processor - AMD FX-6300 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+
    Mobo - ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0, AM3+, ATX
    Wireless Card - ASUS PCE-N15
    PSU - be quiet! PURE POWER L8 500W
    Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD
    GPU - Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 WindForce 2X OC mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 2GB GDDR5
    Monitor - LG Flatron 22EA53VQ-P
    HD - Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s
    Mouse - Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse
    HD - WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    Keyboard - Mad Catz CYBORG

I was given an Asrock z97 extreme 4 mobo as a Christmas present so i will be getting a new processor and im looking at an i7 4790 k (€360), i cant be dealing with playing Arma 3 or Dayz with 20 - 30 fps anymore so this is why i want to upgrade my processor.

I am then thinking of a Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical keyboard (€205), the CYBORG is fine but no ghosting and its sometimes a little unresponsive.

So i have about €550 ish to spend, any suggestions? I have overclocked my processor to 4.2 ghz and the graphics card a tiny bit but it doesn't make much of a difference to Processor heavy games.

i will also be looking at a new monitor in the second half of the year, hopefully around the 300 mark.

Guide me people!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I have the 4790k & thhe K70 with reds. If your build is mainly gaming, then maybe look at the 4690K and save yourself 100 yoyo's. The K70 is decent, love the build quality. They are on hardwareversand.de for 150ish, the RGB one is 200+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Thanks for writing back.

Are you gaming on your machine? Will games be able to make use of the hyper threading in the i7 any time soon? Im looking at the i7 to futureproof for the next few years. Mind you the 4690k is 120 cheaper.

All them fancy lights on the keyboard cost 55 euro! I didnt think it was that much in the difference.

Suppose one of the only reason i wanted the i7 was for bragging rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

No probs and yes. Games rarely use 2 cores or 4 cores at most, and hyper threading can sometimes hurt gaming performance. Clock speed is more important. The 4690k should see you good for several years..

There are loads of other mech boards out there, but I tend to stick with Corsair as their after sales is brilliant, RMA'ed two coolers and a PSU-they sent a replacement as soon as they got the old ones-pleasure to deal with. Yeah, €55 is a lot for basically the same keyboard.

If you budget €150 for the keyboard and €250 for the 4680k, that leaves you nearly enough for a second GPU and plenty of poke to game on a 1440p panel at higher settings.

True enough but if I get another graphics card I will more than likely need a new psu and extra fans, plus I have heard some games still don't support cross firing gpu's.

To think, this time last year I was on a ps4 and thought it was the ultimate machine is a sign of my ignorance!

The corsair keyboard is now in stone I think, without the rgb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A 4690k and a GTX 970 will serve you much better and knock you back about 550. Sell the 270 and your AMD MB and CPU for ~250 roughly. You'll get much better performance, you'll not need to upgrade PSU either

• Advertisement

Not a bad idea at all digital solitaire. How do you go about selling used parts, should they be left in the machine so buyers can see them run or box them and sell em that way?

On a side note, maplins have compressed air for 5 Euro at the moment, nice big can, used it the other day to clean out the build, someone was asking on this fora recently

Love that new parts smell!

I sold my last rig as one, I took screenshots of it running with fraps to show the performance of a few games, and then a few pics of it broken down.

I'd say a pic of Skyrim or The Witcher on Ultra then the card outside the machine, with its box if you have it would do you

Don't play either but will re install skyrim for the cause.

Sage advice my friend.

So rather than a new cpu and keyboard, I have been talked Into a new cpu and gpu. Gotta love boards

Well they were examples I used, any kinda game that people will recognise will do

If you go 4690k and 970, sell the other 3 parts you can get your keyboard with 45 the throw into the piggy bank.

An i5 4460 could save you another €50, but if you want more than 3-4 years futur-proofing get the 4690k

So I think it's agreeable, don't bother with the Devils Canyon i7? Kb is only worth 20 now but it's a decent backup so will hold on to it.

What's the craic with taking an after market fan off a processor? Will the paste still be wet or is it a gentle snap job?

Will owe the two of you a very cheap game for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Bahaha ok right tread now, wellity wellity john looky here. Got the upgrade bug huh.

Bahaha ok right tread now, wellity wellity john looky here. Got the upgrade bug huh.

I was wondering Sterling :P

I haven't a clue about after market coolers. Stock ones are like pulling a suction cup off a window. Kinda.

It's your fauly, all you your fault!

Out of interest sterling archer, what are you runnin?

It's your fauly, all you your fault!

Out of interest sterling archer, what are you runnin?

I7 4770 and a gtx 970, 8 gig ram, have games running on an ssd.

Anything else is not really noteworthy.

I have a mousemat that has a gel wrist rest on it.

And a corner of shame, were I put my filthy peasant ps4.

Keep an eye on prices, euro will be balancing soon.

By which I mean don't by Now.

Advertisement